1978 17' Boler...dont know where to start - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2017, 01:22 PM   #1

Name: Sarah
Trailer: 1978 Boler 17
British Columbia
1978 17' Boler...dont know where to start

We've had "Yippy" the 17' 1978 Boler for about 7 years. 3 years it has sat neglected as life got busy. Now that we have time, we have assessed the damage and there is alot. Floor got saggy by the door, there is rot on the wall where the floor meets the wall under the dining room table and Im not convinced it is safe as in we have never had the frame or bolts checked. We dont have the skills nor the tools or equipment needed to loft the egg off its frame. Any hints on where or how to start? We are on Vancouver Island BC and wondering if there is a place that can give it a good going over. Any advice appreciated.
Boler 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 01:38 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
We also have a Boler 17 that we purchased last Fall. First thing is to determine the extent of floor rot. If you think its so bad that you need to replace the entire floor (i.e., all of the plywood) then you will have to remove everything in the camper to do this. If you choose that path, Kevin Johnston has some very detailed youtube videos on how to do this (just search on Boler 17 in youtube). In one of Kevin's youtube videos he points to the locations of all of the floor-to-frame bolts.

We have some floor rot, particularly around the floor-to-frame bolts under the front and rear benches. Our initial plan is to patch these portions of the floor under the benches and then replace the floor-to-frame bolts in these locations.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 10:21 AM   #3

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Is there a nearby vocational college that needs a project? I do not know if some can/will take on a project for a private owner.

Long ago, when I was an Explorer Scout, we refurbished a trolley car, then a bit of a collectible car. The trolley was City owned, the automobile was private. Both kept us out of trouble, at least so far.

...Just brainstorming.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 01:34 PM   #4

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
We contacted the local Vo-tech several times and never got a call back. They were much more interested in things like the trolley you mention or an airplane than our little project. So Paul learned to fiberglass from advice on FGRV and YouTube vids. He's good at it now--so good he's doing it for other people!

A friend of his with a boom crane came out and lifted our unit from the frame, and hauled the frame in to where Paul used to work. Without the help of his old company I doubt we'd have been able to do this. They contributed leftover parts all over the place, loaned Paul tools, gave him assistances...it was quite a scramble. I'd say it's time to call in all your favors out there, gather your resources (financial, personal, and emotional) and dive in.

First things first: figure out WHERE you're going to work on it (even if you have to rig up a huge tarp to keep it dry) and where you'll store the stuff you take out of it for templates. MUCH easier to cut a floor piece if you have your original to go from. And there'll be tons of stuff you just need out of the way for a while--you don't want to wreck things by tossing them just anywhere.

I'm feeling a little dizzy now--it was a BUSY nine months it took Paul to totally gut and rebuild our 73 amerigo.

This place, FGRV, is so full of helpful, knowledgable people! I can't thank everyone enough even now. No matter how much work Paul (and I ) did, we weren't alone. And that helps a lot.

BEST
Kai

Tags
boler