Fiberglass Trailer Scams - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2006, 08:29 AM   #81

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
I now need to figure out how to determine someone's IP address from their emails.
That's easy Bill. You want to "view headers" in your email program. If you have gmail, hotmail, or yahoo mail the option should be on the email when you are viewing it. Like "more options" "advanced" "view full headers", etc.

If you're using Outlook Express, right click on the message in your inbox > properties > details tab > message source button. You can copy the results to notepad. I used to do that before opening any suspect email in OE to see what the message actually contained, so I wouldn't infect myself with something.

I *think* that's how you do it in OE. I don't use it anymore, so my memory may be limited.
tracy.c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 08:39 AM   #82

***please don't quote this message in any replies so I can delete it in a day or 2***
Old 08-16-2006, 08:54 AM   #83

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I see he's used at least 2 other email addresses, one on earthlink and a juno address.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:02 AM   #84

Quote:
I see he's used at least 2 other email addresses, one on earthlink and a juno address.
Yes. The jukebox one was also shut down by earthlink. He has juno, excite.com, etc emails also. Besides Earthlink, all the other accounts can be setup with bogus info and free accounts.

To find where the ad is coming from, just right click the photo in the ad > properties > check the URL address. Many times it will point you to their directory online. That's how I found his aol one

ps = thx for the 419 link. Found message board that was a hoot!
Old 08-16-2006, 12:08 PM   #85

Registry
419 is some fun reading.

I discovered it after I stopped getting 419 scams. Darn, it might have been fun to do a little baiting.
Old 08-16-2006, 12:41 PM   #86

Trailer: none now
Quote:
I hope no one will mind a posting that isn't about "eggs" here. I've been trying to sell lab puppies the last few days. I only posted it in the local newspaper and on a website for our local foothills. I got a phone call from a "relay service" that tells you what someone else is typing into a computer. Since we have a friend that is deaf, I thought he might have given our number to a friend of his. I replied to the email address given.
The email I got back was so much like one of these scams. It said they would send the money via Western Union money order and add $100 for my trouble and then would have a service pick them up to ship them to his location.
I just emailed back and let him know that I wouldn't hand over puppies to a distribution company as we screen prospective owners , that the whole thing sounded like a scam and if I was charged for the "relay" call, I'd call the police. No further email.
It isn't just trailers and computers, and apparently it isn't just from ebay!
Hmm.. This post caught my attention, because of the "relay service" words. I'm Deaf myself, and use the relay service a lot with my non-deaf friends and businesses. If it were a genuine relay service for communicating with people who have text-telephones or computer programs (like mine), the service would identify itself, give the operator number, and hopefully the "caller" would identify himself or herself. If it were a true telephone relay service (e.g. Sprint, MCI, or whatever), but the caller was not a real deaf or hard of hearing person, then it's being misused, any scam using the telephone, across state lines, etc. would be in very hot water with the FCC.

Good for you to catch them and scare them back under the slimy rock they came out from.

Leanor
Leanor Vlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 12:54 PM   #87

Trailer: Boler Honey
Leanor,
Thanks for the information on the relay service. I had never used a legitimate relay service, so I don't know if it was for real or not. The operator did give me information but to be truthful, it really caught me off gaurd and I don't remember if she gave me an operator number. She did tell me the name of the person calling. That name was used in the email address as well. As I said it didn't even occur to me that it wasn't legitimate until I got the email with all the Western Union money order information in it. I will pay a great deal more attention if this ever occurs again. With Tracy and Byron as role models, I would probably have pursued it more. And the FCC angle is a good one. That's sorta like not sending things in the mail because it brings it under federal misuse of mail..this would be use of the relay system.
lwehrly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 12:54 PM   #88

Trailer: 1991 16 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Quote:
419 is some fun reading.

I discovered it after I stopped getting 419 scams. Darn, it might have been fun to do a little baiting.
Scambaiter.com is another good one.

I think the P,p,p,p,powerbook sting came from 419eater.com. Classic!
Lee Hillsgrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 01:03 PM   #89

Here is another excellent resource I found today for confirming where an email comes from along with additional options.

http://www.readnotify.com/readnotify/

You can sign up for a free 15 day trial account. No software needed. You can track when the person opened the email, links he clicked on within the email, even selfdestruct the email or retrieve it before it is read (paid account)

Their subscriptions are pretty cheap $24. annual for basic (no retrieve or destruct)

Here is a sample of the report it makes available on the email you send.

http://www.readnotify.com/readnotify/show....dd2769d956.html

I gave the free trial a try and I think if I find a real need for it (become an active scam baiter) I'll buy a paid subscription.

I sent test messages to another email account and it worked as directed. You can send them without alerting the recipient (ie: somebody@somewhere.com.silent.readnotify.com as the email address show only somebody@somewhere.com as the sender)

Very cool. If I wanted to know for sure someone is who they say they are, readnotify would do the trick. Regular email mailservers provide limited info in their headers.
Old 08-16-2006, 06:32 PM   #90

wow all I can say is these scammers are relentless and what they lack in obvious language skills (easy to spot), they make up for it with creativity.

I baited a fake ad seller of a horse trailer today.... he corresponded just about word for word the same as MSM. Said the trailer was at "ebays warehouse" in Kansas City. So, viola I told him I lived in KC and would run by there and see it. Gave him a fake name/address...

Also notified spoof@ebay. com and to their credit they shut down the auction within 10 mins. The guy emails me back his name/address in Romania to send a Western Union payment and "no you can't see it at the warehouse. Only sellers can go to the warehouse". LOL

So I email him back that his auction link is no longer working....

He emails me back minutes later with a NEW auction number for the same featherlite horse trailer, only this time it's under Baby Items > Backpacks category!

Jeesh! I'm waiting for ebay to kill that one, so I can request a link again that works.

After this experience, I don't think I'd ever use ebay as a purchaser again. For those that choose to, be VERY careful.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:04 AM   #91

I was scammed.

Hi, this is my first post and I wanted to share with you a very recent event for me. I was scammed, attempting to buy a Casita on Ebay. You always think that it would never happend to you and that you are sceptical and vigilent, but sometimes the heart takes over and the mind takes a back seat.

Details...WU wire transfer to UK to be held by a third party until the delivery of the trailer.
No other payment choice offered.
Square Trade was the third party. Square Trade business forms were provided...all in excellent form.
$8800 was supposedly in a Square Trade protection account.

Description of item was very good and well written. Beautiful photos of item were provided.

There is an LA connection, because you/I had to fax my WU information to an LA #.

More details upon request

Gary R
Gary R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 09:22 AM   #92

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Gary,

Sorry to hear that you were scammed. There has been several posts here about ebay scams, that's why I do NOT buy anything off ebay (oh I know that most sellers are legit, but I still don't trust ebay). These type scams involve cars, boats, travel trailers etc. Your first clue that it is a scam is the seller is located overseas and to send your money to a holding co and the selling price is usually to good to be true, which it is.
Roy Bakehorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 09:51 AM   #93
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
I was scammed, attempting to buy a Casita on Ebay.
Welcome, Gary. Thanks for posting your experience. Very sorry to hear it, but glad you wanted to share it with us.

If you don't mind, please take a look at the [b]scams warning posted in our For Sale (Referrals) forum. We'd appreciate any feedback you might have on what we've posted. Perhaps you can help us make our warning more effective.

We hate seeing this kind of thing happen to anyone.

But, you are now among friends.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 10:03 AM   #94

Registry
There's a Scamp scam on ebay right now SCAM

If you get to it before it's pulled look at it carefully. Some points to note,
1. Contact directly with some excuse why you can't use the eBay system to contact the seller.

2. Price is too low to be true. (Not always the case, sometimes they'll get the price up to appear legit.)

3. Free shipping and handling. No way can anybody ship a travel trailer without a large expense.

4. Some or all buyers need to have preapproval.

These are just some of the things to look for.

Here's some of things eBay has to say.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:20 AM   #95

I am SO sorry to hear this. How very sad. It is as much about the feelings of disappointment and betrayal as it is about the loss of money. Although at $8800 I would be REALLY upset about the money.
Just to help prevent any further scams, be sure to check out the "sticky" in the referrals section. It has a lot of good information on scams.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:30 AM   #96

Quote:
I am SO sorry to hear this. How very sad. It is as much about the feelings of disappointment and betrayal as it is about the loss of money. Although at $8800 I would be REALLY upset about the money.
Just to help prevent any further scams, be sure to check out the "sticky" in the referrals section. It has a lot of good information on scams.

My loss is not $8800. That was the supposed amount in their fund to guarantee a refund, should I not be happy with the trailer.
Yes you feel, loss, betrayal, violated...someone has taken your trust and your dreams and flushed them down a toilet.

I really want one of these trailers, b ut I have to rethink if I will be able to trust anyone when purchasing one. So maybe I'll just camp out in the guest room. LOL

Gary R
Gary R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 10:38 AM   #97

Trailer: 87 U-Haul CT13
If you look at the Ebay ad that Byron posted, I like the addition of the following line at the end of the text part of the ad:

"I do not answer to emails on Sundays, Sunday is my day for church and my family."

I suppose the trailer was only used by his 90-year-old grandmother to go church service, too.
jasoncarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 10:48 AM   #98

Trailer: Casita 17 ft 2004
Have you visited the For Sale part of this forum? There is a 13' Samp in Georgia ( ?Roswell) and a Big Foot in Florida. Don't know what part of Florida you are in, but these migh not be too far.

So sorry about you bad experience.
Susan Tiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 10:58 AM   #99

Registry
It would be a real shame if you let a scammer stop you from persuing your dream. These little trailers are a real delight to have and use. Please continue your search, you'll find the right one from the right seller.
Old 08-24-2006, 11:08 AM   #100

The guest room is nice...but you'll have to share it with a bunch of us who are still looking for the right trailers. I am very leary of ebay, unless its close enough for me to look at physically. And since I am such a newbie, I've figured out I just need to look at em anyway, because pictures don't tell it all!
When I first started looking in February, someone told me to go to the Oregon meet so I could see a bunch of them and because there are frequently trailers for sale (people upsize, downsize, go from bumper pull to fifth wheel, etc) Boy do I wish I'd taken that advice! In hindsight I see that it was a wonderful idea that didn't seem to work into last year's schedule. I want to go this year, if they'll let me park my stick n tin trailer nearby and hang out with the eggs!
(I think it was Donna that gave me the advice)
Hang in there. Hopefully we'll both be out of the guest room and into the egg carton soon!

Tags
scamp