' 74 Boler tow prep - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2015, 02:17 PM   #1

Name: Christian
Trailer: Escape 2017, 17B
Florida
' 74 Boler tow prep

Hi gang, I have a 13 ft Boler that has been sitting in a field up north for five years. I am planning a road trip to get her and tow her down south. Can anyone give me a checklist of what I should do before towing 1600 mls? And does anyone have a source for tires, bearings, other things I might need to take with me? I want to bring her south, fix er up and start full-time ing.

Sent from my C6530N using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Christian in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 03:45 PM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
Unless you know the bearing and tire sizes no sense in taking anything with you,, do it there.
Obviously the lights, wiring need to be gone over, tape the windows and vent closed so you don't have to worry about them.
The ball size in my 74 boler was 1 7/8s and it was original.
Don't plan on making it home in the same time it takes you to get to it.
Welcome to the world of boler reno
Fred
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 07:27 PM   #3

Florida
Thanks Fred. Any input on checking the bearings, repacking etc. I want to get her back in one piece.

Old 03-24-2015, 09:37 PM   #4

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
If you've never done bearings before now with a 1600 mile trip in front of you is not the time to learn.
If the tires hold air and roll take it to a service center to ready it for the trail home.
If you can't get it road worthy to take to a service center a tow truck may be the correct choice.
I only know of Camping World centers in the USA but I'm sure that someone local where the boler is can steer you as well.
This is money well spent and service that is required sooner better than later.
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 01:32 AM   #5

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Hi Lisa, Fred gave you good info. Sitting for five years....I wouldn't tow it any farther than a tire shop and then a garage for the bearings. If either of those go having working tail lights for the return trip would be mute. That's a long trip. Any chance that the seller could have those items done before you show up?
When I bought mine it had sat for two years in a driveway. I stopped a few times to check for hubs heat and that was only an 80 mile tow. Turned out OK but I did check and repack the bearings and brakes before I towed it again.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 09:45 AM   #6

Name: Dave
Trailer: 13' 1973 Boler - tow/2017 Colorado Crew-Cab
Ontario
Registry
Hi Lisa;
If your Bioler is currently 1600 miles north, you can easily get the tires and bearings checked at the nearest 'Canadian Tire' store.
bullfrogeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 01:26 PM   #7

Florida
Hi friends, thanks for all your help. I talked to the guy who has been storing my Boler and he has agreed to repack the bearings and check the tires so she will be road ready. Yipee. Hope he doesn't charge me too much.

Old 03-25-2015, 05:47 PM   #8

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
' 74 Boler tow prep

Hi Lisa,

Some other things to consider:

Trailer light connection, if your connection doesn't match, you can pick up an adapter at most auto parts stores

Safety chains, have safety chain to car link that can be secured like a threaded link, this keeps the chains on, hooks fall off

Sitting that long, take or get extra light bulbs and a bit of emery cloth to clean contacts

Tires including spare and tire wrench and jack, even if the seller says they are O.K., check for cracked sidewalls and even adequate tire pressure, also check tread wear, if the inside or outside are worn the spindles or axle could be bent

Crawl under the trailer and check the frame, if it is straight with no breaks or bends great

Check the wheel wells, there should be room between the tire and wheel well, have the seller get in the trailer, the axle arms should move up, just watch the tire in relation to the trailer shell

Get a trailer ball lock, this keeps the hitch from coming loose and along with a receiver lock helps to deter theft

Hope this isn't too much. Be safe!

Bob

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
bobkatr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler