Cadet Camper window and fibberglass Repairs??? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2017, 06:38 PM   #1

Name: Dawn
Trailer: 1986 Cadet
British Columbia
Red face Cadet Camper window and fibberglass Repairs???

Hi!
We live in Vancouver BC, Canada! We came across a cadet camper last year and used it for the summer and loved it, but it still needs a lot of work.

There are two things I want to do this year any help would be appreciated!

1. The Front window really needs to be replaced, I can't afford to have one shipped from Europe. Has anybody ended up having one made or making one themselves?

2. The Fiberglass needs to get repaired, would you suggest to have this done in a shop or is it an easy DIY job?

Thanks for your help!

Dawn
DelbiondiCadet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 10:37 AM   #2

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
FIBERGLASS REPAIR can be pretty easy once you get into it...and daunting until you do. See the thread "Fear of Fiberglassing" for many-pages of excellent advice!

My husband went from unable to start to a "master" who not only repaired over 82 holes in our 1973 amerigo (pencil-eraser size holes to 2 x 3 feet, including long cracks), but fixed our lawnmower, a smaller utility trailer, and several other things--and is champing at the bit to fix anything else remotely doable with fiberglass resin.

If you've read through that thread you'll have a lot better idea what is involved--there are also many helpful videos on YouTube. There are also many other threads here on FGRV dealing with it...I'm personally quite fond of that thread, though.

BEST
Kai
Old 02-28-2017, 10:43 AM   #3

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelbiondiCadet View Post
Hi!
We live in Vancouver BC, Canada! We came across a cadet camper last year and used it for the summer and loved it, but it still needs a lot of work.

There are two things I want to do this year any help would be appreciated!

1. The Front window really needs to be replaced, I can't afford to have one shipped from Europe. Has anybody ended up having one made or making one themselves?

2. The Fiberglass needs to get repaired, would you suggest to have this done in a shop or is it an easy DIY job?

Thanks for your help!

Dawn
: if you feel uncomfortable doing the window, go to a glass shop such as Broco and if you live in Coquitlam near Ikea or KMS tools there is a glass shop just up the street from them going west on SW Corner, smaller shop, but they would be good to go to.
The other problem re FG is to practice on something or take it to a Body shop that u would trust and ask if someone would give u a heads up on how to do FG work.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 12:15 PM   #4

British Columbia
Thank you Kai!! I'll check it out!!!
Old 02-28-2017, 12:16 PM   #5

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by stude View Post
: if you feel uncomfortable doing the window, go to a glass shop such as Broco and if you live in Coquitlam near Ikea or KMS tools there is a glass shop just up the street from them going west on SW Corner, smaller shop, but they would be good to go to.
The other problem re FG is to practice on something or take it to a Body shop that u would trust and ask if someone would give u a heads up on how to do FG work.
Stude
Thanks Stude! I do live right by there! I'll check it out!
Old 02-28-2017, 12:34 PM   #6

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
FIBERGLASS REPAIR can be pretty easy once you get into it...and daunting until you do. See the thread "Fear of Fiberglassing" for many-pages of excellent advice!

My husband went from unable to start to a "master" who not only repaired over 82 holes in our 1973 amerigo (pencil-eraser size holes to 2 x 3 feet, including long cracks), but fixed our lawnmower, a smaller utility trailer, and several other things--and is champing at the bit to fix anything else remotely doable with fiberglass resin.

If you've read through that thread you'll have a lot better idea what is involved--there are also many helpful videos on YouTube. There are also many other threads here on FGRV dealing with it...I'm personally quite fond of that thread, though.

BEST
Kai
:Kai I also thank you for the thread as I have never FGlassed anything as never needed to but do now.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 06:09 PM   #7

Registry
Stude and Dawn: fiberglassing is great above 40 degrees F. Below that you have to mess with the formula a lot to try to compensate for the temp being too cold and it may never set up properly. So it's a bit early in the year for fiberglass work yet. Better to wait till well over 40 F.

If either of you were planning to be in our area, Paul said he'd be more than happy to work with you on your fiberglassing for long enough that you'd feel pretty good about your ability.

You CAN do this. You're welcome for the thread mention--it was the difference for us between not being able to fix Peanut and gittin' 'er' done!

As they told us on Fear of Fiberglassing: if the worst happens with your patch, you just grind it out and start over. No harm, no foul. You really cannot make it worse than the hole that's there.

Just PM us if you're going to be down Renton way and want to stop by with your trailer.

BEST
Kai
Old 03-01-2017, 04:31 PM   #8

British Columbia
Thank so much Kai!
The camper is still covered up, im just sourcing our prices for supplies or even bringing into a shop! Thats so generous of you guys to offer that! we just might take you up on that closer to the summer !
Old 03-01-2017, 06:49 PM   #9

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelbiondiCadet View Post
Thank so much Kai!
The camper is still covered up, im just sourcing our prices for supplies or even bringing into a shop! Thats so generous of you guys to offer that! we just might take you up on that closer to the summer !
Absolutely.
BEST
Kai
Old 07-01-2017, 03:58 PM   #10

Name: John
Trailer: Beachcomber
Ontario
Front window replacement

Hi. Did you get the front window replaced? We purchased a lot of Cadet parts including a flat plexiglass front window. If you want, I can sent you photos and dimensions.

Let me know.
J Lam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 11:26 AM   #11

British Columbia
Hey John!
We haven't had a chance to replace it yet. where are you located?
do you know how much you would be selling it for?
Thank you!
Dawn
Old 07-05-2017, 11:50 AM   #12

Name: John
Trailer: Beachcomber
Ontario
Front window replacement

This plexi window is pretty yellowed. It does apparently have all the attachments, i.e. hinge, rods, etc. I will see if I can clean it up a bit and go from there. Keep in mind that is is just flat plexiglass and not curved like the original windows.

Another consideration is how to get it to a buyer who can't pick it up. Shipping could be an issue - both by price and how to safely ship it.

Give me some time to do some checking.

John
J Lam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 06:47 PM   #13

Name: Rob
Trailer: Cadet
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Lam View Post
Hi. Did you get the front window replaced? We purchased a lot of Cadet parts including a flat plexiglass front window. If you want, I can sent you photos and dimensions.

Let me know.
Hi, just wondering what you did to replace the front window. Ours broke in recent wind storm ��
Kent26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 11:09 AM   #14

British Columbia
Hey! No we haven’t yet!
Where are you located again?
Dawn

Tags
cadet, fibber glass, plexiglass, repair, window