Potential Surfside Purchase - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2016, 10:34 AM   #1

Name: Jason
Trailer: Looking for a SurfSide
Alberta
Potential Surfside Purchase

First time poster.

I'm looking at purchasing our first camper. Came across a Surfside that is for sale. Had a look at it last night. Things look pretty good for a 1974 camper but there are a few things that need to be updated. The seem on the ensolite are missing and they have used two sided foam tape. So that will need to be updated. Ensolite needs to be cleaned and maybe painted and a couple of spots are loose but overall it's in pretty good shape.

The frame was redone about 3 years ago so that should all be good. The inside needs some other cosmetic work and the outside needs to be repainted.

So my questions is what is a reasonable price for something like this? Here is their add description and asking price.

"12 ft. all over length 15 ft. Unique paint job. Needs some work but good to go. New Porta Potti, never used. Fridge, two burner stove. Lots of storage. New foam. Two bunks or make into full bed. New water pump. $3,250. OBO"

I think they are flexible a bit on the price but I want to make a fair offer. Not sure how Surfside pricing compares to Trillium or Boler pricing.

Any insights are appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
surfside2.JPG   surfside3.JPG  

surfside5.JPG   surfside4.JPG  

jroy56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 11:19 AM   #2

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Considering those are Canadian dollars in the price you quoted and it has a very recent frame and appears to be in a good condition I would say it is being sold at below the average price given its condition.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 11:57 AM   #3

Alberta
Thanks k corbin.

Being the first camper we have looked at and not really knowing all the work that will be involved we are really just guessing at this point.

My biggest concern is fixing up the ensolite and doing something with the seams. Not sure what the seams were supposed to have over them or what the options are to cover them. I suppose the exterior paint is also a big project.
Old 07-21-2016, 12:16 PM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1982 16 ft
Registry
From what you have said, it seems to be priced below market value. They either want a quick sell, or you've missed something.

Make sure the fridge works well on all settings (110v/12v/propane). A repair or replace is a big ticket item, approaching $1000; I just did mine. Also make sure the floor is solid, not soft spots from above, or below. Floor repair/replacement is time consuming and can be expensive (I've also done mine). Finally, check all window bottom frames for potential leakage.

Vic
Victor Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 12:34 PM   #5

Alberta
Thanks Victor Benz.

The fridge apparently works great on 110 and propane but only about 50% on battery for some reason. Not sure if the battery is just not strong enough?

The windows and floor looked good. I'll go and have another look at them and double check.
Old 07-21-2016, 03:28 PM   #6

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1982 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jroy56 View Post
The fridge apparently works great on 110 and propane but only about 50% on battery for some reason.
It's quite normal for the older fridges to under-perform on battery power. The several that we had cooled very well from ambient down to fridge operating temperature and in a short period of time. That was impossible for battery power. We found that we could only use battery power to maintain a fridge temperature already achieved with either 110v or propane.

We were so dissatisfied with the performance on battery power that the new fridge we bought is only 100v/propane.

Vic
Victor Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 10:16 PM   #7

Alberta
Thumbs up

Sounds like they are willing to let this one go for $2,200 CAD. So I think I'll jump on that price. Even if there are a few minor issues I think there is room in that price.
Old 07-22-2016, 01:13 AM   #8

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jroy56 View Post
Sounds like they are willing to let this one go for $2,200 CAD. So I think I'll jump on that price. Even if there are a few minor issues I think there is room in that price.
Good find, you can do a bunch of fixin' for the price drop. I like the paint job....as much as these eggs get noticed you'll get even more .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
surfside