Scamp Axle Replacement - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2016, 12:32 PM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1977
Scamp Axle Replacement

I have a 1977 13" Scamp. Needs a new axle. Not sure what weight rating to use. The Scamp Owner's Manual says the 13 footer uses a 2200 pound axle. My trailer has no heater, frig, or toilet and is practically empty when I tow it. Has anyone else replaced a torsion bar axle? What weight rated axle did you use? Any other advice on replacing the axle?
Eileen Banashek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 01:40 PM   #2

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
I replaced the axle on my '99 Scamp 13 earlier this year. I bought the axle from Scamp so that I was sure to get the correct one, plus, they had it in stock and shipped it out within 2 days, I had it within 4 or 5 days. The wait to buy it direct from the axle manufacturer was about 6 weeks.

I had a local metal fabricating company install the axle. I gave them Scamp's customer service number to call if they had any questions. They did, indeed, call Scamp and received all the measurements and suggestions from the Scamp folks to install the axle as a bolt on, instead of welded on. Will make any future servicing much easier. They said the folks at Scamp were extremely helpful. Not certain they would be so helpful if you bypass them for purchasing the axle - just a thought.

Plus, now is the time to add brakes, if you want them and don't have them. Some states require them on ALL travel trailers that use their highways.

Here is the label from the new axle, as you can see, it is a 2200 lb axle.
Attached Thumbnails
Scamp axle.JPG  
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 01:39 PM   #3

Scamp Axle Replacement

Thanks for the advice. Will call Scamp and get the details.
Old 06-30-2016, 03:41 PM   #4

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
If your axel is welded on, now is the time to have the welder that removes it to raise and bolt on the new one.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 03:47 PM   #5

Name: Karen
Trailer: Scamp
Florida
Lyle B by any chance do you live in FL. Or better question has anyone replaced their axle in Titusville, FL area and can recommend someone?
Karen Havink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 05:03 PM   #6

Look for the oldest welding shop around.
Old 06-30-2016, 07:10 PM   #7

None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Havink View Post
Lyle B by any chance do you live in FL. Or better question has anyone replaced their axle in Titusville, FL area and can recommend someone?
Nope, sorry, Michigan here.
Old 06-30-2016, 07:38 PM   #8

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen Banashek View Post
I have a 1977 13" Scamp. Needs a new axle. Not sure what weight rating to use. The Scamp Owner's Manual says the 13 footer uses a 2200 pound axle. My trailer has no heater, frig, or toilet and is practically empty when I tow it. Has anyone else replaced a torsion bar axle? What weight rated axle did you use? Any other advice on replacing the axle?
Your trailer's original axle was a 1200 pound leading arm axle, but you could upgrade to the 2200 pound axle with no real negative consequences.
Going from a leading arm to a trailing arm would require a little more attention than a direct replacement but that too could be done eventhough they do make a leading arm 2200 pound axle as well.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 12:30 PM   #9

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
You can also have an axle made and you can specify the load rating you want.
I had mine made by Flexiride and specified 3000 lb rating instead of 3300.
If the axle is rated too high the ride will be rougher.
In retrospect I should have asked for a 2800 lb axle.
The actual strength of the assembly is the same, but the deflection is less with the higher rating so less movement of the suspension results.
You may prefer the stiffer ride though.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 12:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleB View Post
I replaced the axle on my '99 Scamp 13 earlier this year. I bought the axle from Scamp so that I was sure to get the correct one, plus, they had it in stock and shipped it out within 2 days, I had it within 4 or 5 days. The wait to buy it direct from the axle manufacturer was about 6 weeks.

I had a local metal fabricating company install the axle. I gave them Scamp's customer service number to call if they had any questions. They did, indeed, call Scamp and received all the measurements and suggestions from the Scamp folks to install the axle as a bolt on, instead of welded on. Will make any future servicing much easier. They said the folks at Scamp were extremely helpful. Not certain they would be so helpful if you bypass them for purchasing the axle - just a thought.

Plus, now is the time to add brakes, if you want them and don't have them. Some states require them on ALL travel trailers that use their highways.

Can't read the name of the manufacturer that made the axle. Do you know what state they are in?
Old 09-09-2016, 02:46 PM   #11

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Lippert Component Inc.
574/312-6425
Variant # V000213737
S/N 045-0353566
P/N LCI DTB-63-49.75-OD-22U-HPIB-SM-L-545/7 GAWR 2200#
3501 County Road 6 East, Elkhart
Indiana 46514
574-535-1125
customerservice@lci1.com
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 05:05 PM   #12

Scamp Axle Replacement

Thanks so much! I am taking the trailer to a trailer repair place next week to get an estimate.
Old 09-10-2016, 02:02 PM   #13

Name: Michael
Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13
Florida
I have the same exact model as you. The guy I bought it from replaced the axle with a straight axle and leaf springs. It raised the scamp about 8". It pulls great but it's just too high. I'm replacing the axle with this 4" drop axle—It's only $109.. Trailer Axle 2-3/8" Round Drop 65.25 Hf- 49937 | Round Trailer Axles 2.38 3500lb Drop | Tie Down Eng | TrailerPartsDepot.com
I'm getting it put on tomorrow
michaelcly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 12:53 PM   #14

Scamp Axle Replacement

Let me know if it works for you.
Old 09-19-2016, 06:55 PM   #15

Name: silvio
Trailer: in the market
California
Does anyone know of a travel trailer repair business in Southern California that knows how to replace the axel on a 1977 13ft. Scamp. I checked Craigslist....too many flakes...would like to find someone who has already done this replacement.
silvio suarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 09:07 AM   #16

Name: Michael
Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen Banashek View Post
Let me know if it works for you.
Axel installed, worked like a charm. It's rated for 3500 lbs. A little overkill, but the only drop axel I could find that fit without ordering custom. All the other parts came from northern tool. That was for leaf springs and hangers, 5-lug hubs, 5-lug wheels.

EDIT: I can never figure out why vertical photos show sideways

EDIT2: The extra beefy axel doesn't add to the stiffness because of the 2,200 lb springs.Pulls like a dream.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1540.JPG   IMG_1541.JPG  

IMG_1545.jpg  
michaelcly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 04:22 PM   #17

Name: Steve Robison
Trailer: Scamp
New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleB View Post

Would you be willing to share how much everything cost? Does the replacement axle lift the trailer up at all? Just curious because id still want to be able to pull the trailer into the garage.

I'm located in Ohio and I will be changing the axle next season but I don't know where to go. We have a welding shop around but they don't really deal with travel trailers so I'm afraid they might jack the trailer up wrong, bend the frame, burn the paint job welding or who knows what.

Michigan isn't that far away and if your shop knew what they were doing I wouldn't hesitate to drive out there.
Bluetang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 04:45 PM   #18

Find a welding shop that has been in business for the past 30 years then go and talk with the owner. If your axle is welded on have them take it off, weld in a spacer to raise the camper a few imches then have them weld on the brackets that will allow the new axle to be bolted on.
Old 10-30-2016, 05:09 PM   #19

None
This is just from memory, but I believe the axle, with shipping from Scamp was just over $450. This included the electric brakes. They would have installed it for about $100 if I remember correctly.

The local metal fabricator (works on all kinds of trailers, including travel trailers) quoted me "no more than $350" to cut off the old axle, install the new one, wire the trailer for the brakes and install the 7 pin plug. After speaking with the Scamp installers (who they said were VERY accommodating to them), they fabricated a mount so that the new axle could be bolted on instead of welded on - will make future servicing easier. The final charge for the work they did was $325, I believe. This included the extra materials to make the mount. They also topped off my propane tank for no additional charge. I went this route, despite the higher cost, since I thought it would save me a long drive to the factory and the costs that that would entail.

Since I wasn't sure if they had worked on fiberglass trailers, I cautioned them about the fire potential, including the fact that the wood floor was impregnated with fiberglass resin, so could easily be ignited while they were playing with their torches underneath. Did it as politely as I could, assuring them that I wasn't trying to tell them their business. They didn't take offence. Jokers that they were, when I went to pick up the trailer, the owner came out and very seriously commented that they only had a small fire, but they got it out pretty quickly. Luckily, he couldn't keep from laughing once he saw my face.

I do not notice that the trailer is any higher, perhaps an inch or so, but that may well just be due to the new rubber in the torsion axle. I didn't, however, measure it.

I think if I were to do it again, I would just take it back to Bakkus and have Scamp install it. It would have been cheaper, plus I ended up taking the trailer back to them anyway. I took a trip to North Dakota last month and stopped in at the factory for a Fantastic Vent install and a new door seal. They were very accommodating and quick. It's a nice area and there is a campground just outside of town that was a nice place to stay the night before having the work done. Plus I got a factory tour and got to examine all the various Scamps waiting to be picked up. No pressure to look quick, they were all unlocked and we were told sure go on inside - they will all be cleaned thoroughly before they are picked up. Was actually a fun morning.

If you're not up for the trip to the factory, I would assume any shop that worked on most any type of trailer could do the job. There's not really anything special about these axles, other than the fire precautions that need to be taken. Any reputable shop should be able to handle the job.
Good luck with your project.
Old 10-30-2016, 06:13 PM   #20

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvio suarez View Post
Does anyone know of a travel trailer repair business in Southern California that knows how to replace the axel on a 1977 13ft. Scamp. I checked Craigslist....too many flakes...would like to find someone who has already done this replacement.
Your trailer came with a 1200# leading arm axle with 4 on 4-1/2" wheels and no brakes.
You can still order a leading arm axle but a new Scamp13 comes with a 2200# trailing arm axle.
If you decide to upgrade, it might be easier to order a 2200# leading arm axle. It will come with 5 on 4-1/2" wheels unless you specify 4 lug.
Now is the time to consider brakes.
For stock height.... Not positive, but I believe your original axle would be 22 degrees up, but if you want extra height consider a zero.

Whether you order from Scamp or not, they can help you in determining part #s and make fit recommendations. (800)346-4962
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle, scamp