Fitting Casita cabinet latches in a Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2015, 12:35 AM   #1

Name: Frank
Trailer: Casita
California
Fitting Casita cabinet latches in a Scamp

I looked at a Casita trailer this summer and I liked the way their cabinet latches worked, no roller detents like the Scamp, but a positive internal latch with a push button actuator.
Has anyone tried using them in a Scamp? If so how difficult was the install?

Old 10-25-2015, 12:54 AM   #2

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
No personal experience, but I've seen a number of complaints that the Casita latches do not work very well, or at least they don't work for very long - they become very "finicky" and need to be replaced.

Hopefully, someone with actual, first hand experience will give their 2 cents worth - I would like to hear their experience.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 01:08 AM   #3

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California

Here's a clip of a fix for the Casita latches.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 01:48 AM   #4

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Thanks for the video, but it seems kinda ridiculous that it's needed. Casita should either improve the latches, or replace with something different - it obviously is a known problem.

This issue is one of the minor things on my mind in making my choice between Scamp and Casita.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 02:25 AM   #5

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Just trying to pass some info on Lyle. It may fix what the OP was asking about. I don't think any RV goes with hi tech items all around. Really doubt that the folks that built our molded rigs ever had any idea early on that they would be around 40+years later and still on the road . All have some draw backs in their designs/features and fittings. That was the biggest reason I bought a 17' Casita over a 16' Scamp or Casita....a flat door. Have read too many problems with the curved doors sealing and had a tug for well past the extra weight.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 07:23 AM   #6
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleB View Post
Thanks for the video, but it seems kinda ridiculous that it's needed. Casita should either improve the latches, or replace with something different - it obviously is a known problem.

This issue is one of the minor things on my mind in making my choice between Scamp and Casita.
The reason for the spacer is that Casita is using fake wood panels for doors which is thinner than the thickness specified by the latch manufacturer. I had a 17 LD.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 08:39 AM   #7
Commercial Member

Trailer: Winnebago
Casita latches in a Scamp

I know of at least one other person that has installed Casita latches in a Scamp. The latches that Casita uses are actually good latches but they have gotten a bad reputation because of the way Casita has installed them with the wrong bezel ring which leads to the problems that many people have experienced. When we purchased our Casita in 2012 I hated the way the latches looked and worked so I used some connections that I had to locate the manufacturer and became a dealer for the latches and bezels. I replaced the bezel rings in our trailer 3 years ago and we are still using the original latches without any problems and they look 100% better than the "wobbly" knobs the way they came from Casita. If you have any questions you can PM me or visit our website Beetlefreak.com
Larry,C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 09:32 AM   #8

Name: Larry
Trailer: Escape
Oregon
I had three failures in the first 3 months on a new 2014 Casita, I replaced all the doors with real wood and change to a positive turn type lock (similar to the hatch locks) and have had no problems. The Casita lock did not hold up to rough roads even though I added the shock kit and balanced the tires. The spacer may work but you have to wonder why Casita will not change. They make a great product but are very, very slow to adapt to anything new.
larryf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 10:23 AM   #9

Name: Jeff
Trailer: in the market
New York
Casita Latches

I looked at a used Casita 17 last week, and most of the cabinet latches didn't work....I think T@B also uses the same latch on one of their special models...
RV Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 11:54 AM   #10

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
I thought the Casita latches were good too, ... until I read these comments.
The other thing I liked on the Casita, was that their upper cabinet doors were hinged at the bottom, so when you open them, stuff does not fall out to the floor.
But we've learned how to stow the stuff so it doesn't shift while traveling.

As to the latches: I replaced the original catches that had sharp edges with ones that won't draw blood if you brush against them.
The original, sharp edged, metal, door knobs were replaced with rounded wooden knobs.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 12:53 PM   #11

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
We're going to face what cabinet doors and hardware to use when we re-fill our currently gutted Amerigo...good to hear this discussion, thanks all.
Kai in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 02:42 PM   #12

Name: Tom
Trailer: Casita SD 17'
Alabama
I bought a 2008 Casita SD new. Of the 15 or 16 cabinet latches 2 have come apart 2 will not latch and 4 work intermittently. These latches are junk. I'm looking for replacements with positive open/close function such as a twist type blade lock.
Tedus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 03:51 PM   #13

Name: Denise
Trailer: Casita
Texas
I just got home from another long road trip in my SD. Lower level doors opened all the time while driving. Mom (86) didn't notice the latches popped and broke off two knobs just by bumping them with her leg. the knobs are just a weak plastic. Took it to Casita the morning after we got home and they replaced the broken ones, fixed 3 others and gave me some spares.
No, I didn't go in for the knobs. My entry door kept sticking so badly, that I had to get a gentleman at Grand Canyon to open it for me. We thought we were going to be sleeping under the trailer there for a while!
wellduh326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 05:42 PM   #14

Name: Tara
Trailer: Scamp
Florida
Has anyone tried using the latches that are used in earthquake prone areas? I found some online that require the cabinet to be pushed for the latch to unlatch. But jiggling and wiggling won't do it.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
TaraTimNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 05:53 PM   #15

Registry
Keep Trailer Cabinet Doors closed

I've had my 13' Scamp for 10 years and over 20.000 miles. Some on rough gravel roads. No latch or door opening problems except for one door. The reason is put stuff in plastic boxes that keep the stuff from hitting the inside of the doors. Without stuff hitting the inside of the door there no reason for them to open.
Along with the cabinet doors I use "refrigerator" bars to keep all the stuff in the fridge from hitting the inside of the door. A friend complained that he broke the fridge latch and stuff was all over the floor. With the bars pushed back so stuff doesn't move around I've haven't had any problems.

There's usually a simple solution to most Scamp or other travel trailer problems.
Old 10-25-2015, 06:16 PM   #16

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
You mean these fridge bars?
Attached Thumbnails
barred - 1.jpg  
Old 10-25-2015, 06:53 PM   #17

Name: Tara
Florida
We just bought our scamp this weekend used from a very sweet couple. It never occurred to me the doors would open. I haven't had anything in mine yet but I appreciate the warning. I thought everyone was looking for ways to make it easier to open the cabinet doors and drawers. I have a heck of a time getting them open. It hadn't occurred to me the other possibilities. Thanks for the warnings.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
TaraTimNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 10:30 PM   #18

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
My 2 cents:
We rented a camper in New Zealand, for 2 weeks, which was several years old. My assumption is that it was used heavily by a variety of tourists over the years. The cabinet door latches are exactly like the ones you show for the Casitas. We found them to be very reliable and easy to use. In my Scamp I have bungee cords galore when we are on the road. I would be so happy to have reliable knob/latches on all my doors. So, if the Casitas-type latches were installed by me, would I be avoiding the incorrect installation of the Casitas manufacturer?

One question: How can I keep the ice-box door closed without bungees?
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 10:36 PM   #19

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Fitting Casita cabinet latches in a Scamp

When we first got our used Scamp, the closet door wouldn't stay closed. It turned out to be a misaligned roller catch, probably from the factory. I rotated the door upside down and reinstalled the hardware. Problem solved. Other than that, no issues with cabinet doors coming open. We don't put in the kind of miles Byron does, but once a year we do take it down a rough dirt road to a local lake. Everything stays in its place.

I agree that using organizers to keep stuff from moving around is helpful. Here's what we are using:
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0840.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	153.2 KB
ID:	90088
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0841.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	268.6 KB
ID:	90089

Gilda, I'm assuming you have the same icebox we do. Ours is quite tight. I haven't looked at it closely, but I wonder if there might be a way to adjust the roller latch.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 11:09 PM   #20

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post
I thought the Casita latches were good too, ... until I read these comments.
The other thing I liked on the Casita, was that their upper cabinet doors were hinged at the bottom, so when you open them, stuff does not fall out to the floor.
But we've learned how to stow the stuff so it doesn't shift while traveling.

As to the latches: I replaced the original catches that had sharp edges with ones that won't draw blood if you brush against them.
The original, sharp edged, metal, door knobs were replaced with rounded wooden knobs.
I prefer the hinges at the top so that I don't have to reach over the door get something or look over the door to see it.
I agree about the sharp knobs however and I replaced them soon after purchase.
We couldn't find ready made knobs which we liked so these were made from hardware parts...
knurled nuts like those for a sliding T bevel square.
repainted handles for outside faucets
compression fitting nuts
and brass screws, nuts and washers.

The latches are sharp but effective, so we just learned to avoid brushing up against them!
Like you I have always seen these minor problems as opportunities to make the trailer fit and personalized.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0060.JPG   DSCF0065.JPG  

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita, scamp