torsion bar suspension in 19'scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2015, 11:40 AM   #1

Name: Kate
Trailer: Scamp
Ontario
torsion bar suspension in 19'scamp

Has anyone out there been able to adjust the torsion bar suspension in a 19 foot Scamp?. We have been told that the bushing is loose and there is no adjustment possible. This will cost us a lot of money if true. Help!
kate downer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 11:48 AM   #2

Registry
First it's not torsion bar suspension it's rubber torsion suspension. Look up Dexter on line, they have good explanation on their web site. I'm not sure what they mean by bushing. The axle is damaged you might have to replace the axle. Again look at the Dexter web sit, I think the axle is a Torflex.
Old 10-27-2015, 11:51 AM   #3

Ontario
Thanks Byron, I will look it up right now. Kate
Old 10-27-2015, 11:51 AM   #4

Registry
There's an interesting thing about fiberglass trailers. RV shops don't know anything about them. For axle and running gear problems look for a place that specializes in utility trailers. For fiberglass work go to a boat repair shop.
Old 10-27-2015, 12:11 PM   #5

Ontario
Byron, we talked to Scamp and they say the axle is an Al Ko not a Torflex. We are checking into the cost of replacement now.
Old 10-27-2015, 01:21 PM   #6

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Dexter and Al KO make similar products and Dexter is in the process of acquiring the Al KO company. A torsion axle is usually replaced when it is worn out or damaged. Yes, sadly, you are correct. they are not cheap. The good news is that they do last a long time.

Dexter calls their torsion axle a Torkflex. AL KO calls the ones they make something else but they are both TORSION axles.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 01:57 PM   #7

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
Ok, after almost 500 miles of hair raising towing and creeping down old county roads barely above walking speed, I've determine that the suspension axle on our 1993 Scamp is shot. I've been reading but the search engine to find specifics about axle replacement has not proven helpful.

I've looked at Dexter but I was wondering what the other manufacturers are out there and who might be close to me for this repair? I understand that I could get any welding shop to handle this, but I'm know I want someone who understands the issues of this repair.

Any suggestions?
Old 11-24-2015, 09:05 PM   #8

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Bill, what make you think the axle is shot?
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 08:55 AM   #9

Kentucky
Registry
Dave: The tires are set deep into the wheel wells and the little egg wants to leap off the road when traveling over bumps. I was reduced to driving at 10-15 mph on some country roads because of the instability. Is there a test to determine viability of the suspension to know?
Old 11-25-2015, 09:13 AM   #10

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Put a jack under the axle under the frame on one side and jack up the trailer. Note how much the wheel/tire moves relative to the trailer as you lift it off the ground.
If it comes off as you jack up the trailer just a little the axle is dead!
If you have 2 - 4" of relative movement then it is probably OK.
My 16' 1986 was the same as having a solid axle and all of the shock absorbing was in the tires.
Also as you walk around and jump un p and down you should feel the trailer bounce, not as much as a leaf spring axle, however since the rubber does damp out some of the oscillations.
Riding low is also a sign of a dead axle.
If you get the number off the tag on the trailer and call AL-KO they can give you the original specifications for it and also sell you a replacement.
I went with the Flexiride axle since I did not know what I wanted for a finished ride height and theirs is adjustable.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 09:27 AM   #11

Kentucky
Registry
THAT right there is some fine advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
Put a jack under the axle under the frame on one side and jack up the trailer. Note how much the wheel/tire moves relative to the trailer as you lift it off the ground.
If it comes off as you jack up the trailer just a little the axle is dead!
If you have 2 - 4" of relative movement then it is probably OK.
My 16' 1986 was the same as having a solid axle and all of the shock absorbing was in the tires.
Also as you walk around and jump un p and down you should feel the trailer bounce, not as much as a leaf spring axle, however since the rubber does damp out some of the oscillations.
Riding low is also a sign of a dead axle.
If you get the number off the tag on the trailer and call AL-KO they can give you the original specifications for it and also sell you a replacement.
I went with the Flexiride axle since I did not know what I wanted for a finished ride height and theirs is adjustable.
I'm doing this as soon as I get home from the holiday festivities. And thanx for the recommendation for AL-KO. I was wondering who to call for good advice. Now, I'll need to find a qualified installer...hummmm.
Old 11-29-2015, 07:45 AM   #12

Kentucky
Registry
I've found three different trailer service centers within 100 miles of our home and there may be a local shop only 3 miles away that can help. I'll have to check with them tomorrow when they're open. Moving forward...
Old 11-29-2015, 08:17 AM   #13

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
Put a jack under the axle under the frame on one side and jack up the trailer...
Just to clarify, place the jack on the frame next to the axle, not on the axle itself. Rubber torsion axles can be damaged by jacking on the axle itself. Pretty sure that's what he meant...
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 08:34 AM   #14

Kentucky
Registry
We planted our Scamp in the yard next to the drive way when we arrived home. Yesterday, we moved it into the drive way so we actually have a nice surface upon which to work and it's a lot easier to level things up at this point. There is no suspension left in the axle. When we "jump" inside, the floor seems solid, but there is no flex to anything. It feels like a solid axle suspension. I still haven't actually put a jack under there because I can't tell what I'd be looking for when jacking.

Let me explain my understanding: lift from a point on the frame near the axle and watch for flex in the torsion part of the axle and wheel. But how much is correct or enough? I presume that the axle will move no matter what the condition but I don't know how much is normal and how much movement is too little or too much. I could try to measure the flex as I jack...hummm.

Tags
scamp