Scamp Door Hinges - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-24-2015, 12:45 PM   #1

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
Scamp Door Hinges

Working on my list: the hinges of the door are looking very worn. I see that there are springs mounted on the hinge pins and can't imagine what those little thing would be for because they won't stop the door from banging open in any wind and they won't hold the weight of the door "up" on the hinge assembly...hummmm.

Anyway, the hinge is showing major wear and I'm wondering if replacing the hinges would go a long way towards re-centering the door in the doorway?

I also believe that we have some sag coming out between the walls and have read some of the discussions regarding supporting the roof to properly support the walls and the door frame. I know that too will realign the door in the door opening. I first noticed the walls sagging or bellying out when I attempted to place the dinette table down into the bed position and the edges of the benches were not parallel. I began thinking about cutting a new table top to solve the problem but then realized what would make those two seats spread apart like that...well, still need a new tabletop because the laminate on the old one is in rough shape.

Sorry for rambling...what about those hinges? Will they lift the door back up? I've checked the Scamp part store and the hinges have changed the configuration so I'll have to fill holes and redrill if I use "new" hinges, which I suspect I'll be forced to do.

However, I don't understand the reason for the brass ball or spring. Maybe I can simply replace the bolt/pin, ball and spring assembly. Can someone explain this mechanism?
Old 11-24-2015, 04:29 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
The hinges on Scamp's (and boler's) are know as a self aligning hinge. The hinge actually articulates as the door opens, this is because you have a curved door on a curved surface where the upper and lower hinge pins do not align. The brass ball in the hinge is the pivot point and it is also the sacrificial wear component. As the brass ball wears the door will sag. Because the hinge articulates or moves the spring allows the hinge bolt to change length during movement, if the spring is removed or the nut and bolt are too tight the hinge will bind. This is often seen by cracking around the hinge mounting area on either the body or the door, in extreme cases the fiberglass area the hinge mounts to is broken right off.

There is usually no need to replace the hinges, I sell a rebuild kit using marine grade stainless steel and a custom machined brass ball that will replace all the wear items on your hinge with the highest quality parts available.

Link to Boler-Camping Store

Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 06:47 PM   #3

Kentucky
Registry
my door hinges

Ian:

Here is a picture of our door hinge. You can see the brass ball is still in place as well as the spring still in place. The bolts are sloppy loose and there is obvious wear on the upper hinge bracket where you can see the metal is chipped and may be cracking. I doubt there is any bushing left in there. Let me know which way you think we should proceed. Thanx
Attached Thumbnails
20151124-0009.jpg  
Old 11-24-2015, 06:59 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWanderers View Post
Ian:

Here is a picture of our door hinge. You can see the brass ball is still in place as well as the spring still in place. The bolts are sloppy loose and there is obvious wear on the upper hinge bracket where you can see the metal is chipped and may be cracking. I doubt there is any bushing left in there. Let me know which way you think we should proceed. Thanx
Thanks for the picture Bill

Although a rebuild kit would probably work, considering the condition of the door side hinge leaf I would recommend replacing the entire hinges. I think you will find the replacement Scamp hinges will be a direct replacement but if you want to relocate the hinges by measuring the total length of the door (I believe the door is 66" but measure yours). Divide that measurement into 3 and locate the hinges at that measurement (about 22" and 44" from the top of the door respectively). This new hinge location will allow your door to open fully without hitting the edge of the door on the belly band,
Old 11-24-2015, 07:04 PM   #5

Kentucky
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G. View Post
Thanks for the picture Bill

Although a rebuild kit would probably work, considering the condition of the door side hinge leaf I would recommend replacing the entire hinges. I think you will find the replacement Scamp hinges will be a direct replacement but if you want to relocate the hinges by measuring the total length of the door (I believe the door is 66" but measure yours). Divide that measurement into 3 and locate the hinges at that measurement (about 22" and 44" from the top of the door respectively). This new hinge location will allow your door to open fully without hitting the edge of the door on the belly band,
That right there would solve two problems at once. This is great advice. Thanx!
Old 11-24-2015, 07:12 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Alberta
Registry
Your welcome.
Here is a picture of mine with the door fully open.
You can get an idea of the hinge location compared to the location on yours.

Old 11-24-2015, 07:15 PM   #7

Kentucky
Registry
Ian,

That makes sense now that I see it. Our door hits the belly band and I couldn't figure out how to use the door lock back, if we had one. Thanx again!

Love the door curtain!
Old 11-25-2015, 04:48 PM   #8

Kentucky
Registry
Freak Daddy Idea

Ian,

Has anybody ever switched the sides of the door is hinged on?

Here's my issue; the cabin is bowing slightly and I'm thinking about installing the side rib to stabilize the bowing/bellying body. But, while looking at the cabin it occurred to me that the cabinets of the opposite side of the cabin are already in place to provide the necessary stability to the door hinges as well as the body.

Just another crazy idea from someone who doesn't know better. I'm going outside to look at our Scamp to investigate this option a little more...
Old 11-25-2015, 05:35 PM   #9
Commercial Member

Alberta
Registry
I don't know of anyone who has switched the way the door opens.
My biggest concern about doing that would be of the door became unlatched while being towed, the door would be ripped off, think suicide doors on a car.
With the hinges on the right even if the door comes open it will stay more or less closed.

Did you look at the body supports I used on my build? If they are made to match the curve of the door and installed the door should fit perfectly.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post300963
Old 11-25-2015, 07:09 PM   #10

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
...even if the door comes open...
Which i hear it does frequently in travel.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 07:49 PM   #11

Kentucky
Registry
Quote:
I don't know of anyone who has switched the way the door opens.
My biggest concern about doing that would be of the door became unlatched while being towed, the door would be ripped off, think suicide doors on a car.
With the hinges on the right even if the door comes open it will stay more or less closed.
Well, there's another thing that I hadn't thought about. Glad to have your expertise on this project.

Quote:
Did you look at the body supports I used on my build? If they are made to match the curve of the door and installed the door should fit perfectly.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post300963
Wow, nice work on your build. I like those supports but I afraid to begin a total reno/gut job like that...maybe we can realign the door with new hinges and see how things progress from there.

Obviously, I have a lot to learn, especially about glass work and bonding.

I love this place and the great people who are around to advise.

Tags
scamp