Floor help please - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2015, 03:55 PM   #21

Name: Leonie
Trailer: boler,Amerigo,Airstream,Thomson
Ontario
Layout

I think we will keep the layout the same but I will switch all of the electrical boxes and mechanicals to the front bench and the umbilicals can come out at the front too. It had a bathroom installed and a wacky 4" nest of ABS underneath to act as a black tank (They even cut away some of the crossmembers, duh). Crossmembers have been replaced and one more added. A small hole for venting pipe was drilled in the bathroom ceiling that will be excellent as a port for solar wires. A PO must have left the battery in all winter one year and it must have frozen and leaked because the battery compartment was all eaten through, all the way to the outside. I have repaired it all but think I can do much better and would like to use AGM's. Since they are heavy I will put them near the tongue, which works for solar too. I have filled all superfluous holes for a more streamlined appearance. The water tank can go in the rear bench on the sink side with shore and gravity fill right there, pump under the sink. I will just make sure that it is well supported by the frame, not the FG alone. I am weighing everything so that I can keep him balanced. He will be painted as soon as I can get this frame under him. And finally once all is done he will be christened Shuttlecraft Galileo NCC1701/7 USS Enterprise Starfleet.
Leonie Belcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 04:26 PM   #22

Ontario
Like this

http://www.therpf.com/attachments/f9...048d1233340263
Old 10-09-2015, 04:28 PM   #23

Ontario
And this

https://borgdotcom.files.wordpress.c...he-galileo.jpg
Old 10-09-2015, 08:33 PM   #24

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Leonie Belcher--thank you--hope you don't mind, I printed out your post for reference--I know there are others about floor repair and when I find them, I'll probably print them out, too, hoping no one objects. BIG question--granted, you use your four friends, jack(s) to help get it off the frame...but how, exactly? Doesn't it somehow crush up the top part? Also, we have no idea yet how much needs to be done; crossing our fingers and the idea about welding a support under the door to the other side is super, I agree, it doesn't look like enough support to me.
thanks again...
Kai in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 08:36 PM   #25

Registry
THIS IS AWESOME!
Old 10-09-2015, 08:38 PM   #26

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonie Belcher View Post
I think we will keep the layout the same but I will switch all of the electrical boxes and mechanicals to the front bench and the umbilicals can come out at the front too. It had a bathroom installed and a wacky 4" nest of ABS underneath to act as a black tank (They even cut away some of the crossmembers, duh). Crossmembers have been replaced and one more added. A small hole for venting pipe was drilled in the bathroom ceiling that will be excellent as a port for solar wires. A PO must have left the battery in all winter one year and it must have frozen and leaked because the battery compartment was all eaten through, all the way to the outside. I have repaired it all but think I can do much better and would like to use AGM's. Since they are heavy I will put them near the tongue, which works for solar too. I have filled all superfluous holes for a more streamlined appearance. The water tank can go in the rear bench on the sink side with shore and gravity fill right there, pump under the sink. I will just make sure that it is well supported by the frame, not the FG alone. I am weighing everything so that I can keep him balanced. He will be painted as soon as I can get this frame under him. And finally once all is done he will be christened Shuttlecraft Galileo NCC1701/7 USS Enterprise Starfleet.
Leonie Belcher RE Galileo shuttlecraft--this is awesome! It is entirely amazing!
Old 10-14-2015, 07:53 AM   #27

Ontario
shell-off

Hi Kai, I used 2 12' 4x4's underneath at the flattest place at the front and across the back under the ledge and put the jacks on big logs under the 4x4's fairly close to the ends of the beams then jacked him up high enough to clear the wheels as we pulled the frame out. First however we had to get the shell high enough to slip the 4x4's under between the frame and shell. I used the hydraulic floor jack centered very carefully with a support board to spread the weight, to raise the back up first, slip in the 4x4 and then moved to the front and did the same. After the frame was out I secured the shell to the 4x4's with screws through the floor and then anchored the 4x4's to the ground with big straps and very heavy duty tent pegs. So far even with the crazy winds we get here it has been fine. I also have a few screw jacks with boards on top under the center of the shell because there was no support and it was pretty flimsy.
Old 10-14-2015, 08:00 AM   #28

Ontario
Frame

Yay frame is back from welders, looks great and the removable coupler is genius (I stole this idea from someone else). I have ground down any high spots, cleaned it, degreased it and POR15'd it. That stuff is amazing. Although it makes my eyes go all red from the fumes even when used outside in a stiff breeze, but that is just my sensitive eyes, even vinegar will do that to me. Now to rough up the tongue and bumper and paint them white. New axle is on (the correct way, after carefully checking labels on backing plates) and the tires. Won't be long and he will be in one piece again.
Old 10-14-2015, 08:11 AM   #29

Name: Stuart
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16
Minnesota
Registry
pics of my fg-16 gut,rebuild

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ild-72024.html

not all uploaded yet,takes forever ��...
Mr.Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 07:23 PM   #30

Name: Robert
Trailer: Casita
Minnesota
Densilite source ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonie Belcher View Post
Yup, the bump is part of the construction. I am going to make it a ramp because that will make the possibility of killing myself tripping less likely. I can still run lines under the ramp. I am also not putting in plywood but a material called densilite XP, it will never, ever, rot. Three sheets have given me enough to do the floor, the door side supports and all of the window supports. I have also just got the frame back from the welders. I had them weld in a crosspiece C channel that supports the floor from the door across. There was nothing there and the crosspieces are way too far apart IMO. I have also had them weld in a receiver where the coupler was. Now I can slide in and double pin a smaller receiver with the coupler welded on, and remove it and the chains when parked. I can also slide in a pin lock or two where the pins go. All GR III or better, so good and strong. To steal my trailer they are going to have to do some serious pre-planning. I am going to use neoprene cushioning on top of the frame because I had places where the FG skin was rubbed and damaged by the frame. Some of the hold-down tabs for the floor bolts were damaged or broken so I have new heavier duty brackets welded in. The axle is waiting to be installed as soon as the rain lets up and I have a chance to degrease and POR15 the frame. The bumper, tongue and around the wheels will be the only place I need to topcoat the POR 15 because it is not UV stable. I will put 1/2" board insulation under the floor with a nylon support ring at each elevator bolt so the insulation is not crushed by my enthusiastic tightening of elevator bolts. The back compartments under the dinette benches will be coated with truck bed coating then painted white so they will not be black holes. I have already riveted and FG'ed the belly band inside the trailer. I am installing cedar and then encasing that in FG so if a window does leak it will not soak in to wood and rot it. It is only really there for supporting the outside trim, stapling wire to and the board that supports the spare tire. It also had the support for the fridge attached. I am looking forward to the day me and my 4 friends, jack, jack, jack and jack can get the shell back on.

Leonie Belcher -- Where did you locate a supplier of Densilite XP ??
I am restoring the floor of my 13 ft Casita -- This sounds like a better solution than the 3/4 inch plywood I have been using !!
rdwatson (in Stillwater, MN)
rdwatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 06:23 PM   #31

Name: Stuart
Minnesota
Registry
removable coupler

Hi Lonnie!
I have the original hitch coupler assembly on my '74 FG-16 which seems really hokey and unsafe as it cannot be locked in place. I know it should be replaced and really like the idea of a receiver style setup in the trailer side. Do you have any pics of it and was it expensive to have done?
Thanks!
Mr.Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 07:40 PM   #32

Name: Robert
Trailer: Casita
Minnesota
Question Densilite source ??

Ronnie -- I live in Minnesota and cannot locate a supplier of DENSILITE which seems to be preferred solution over the 3/4 inch plywood I have been using to restore the floor in my 13 ft Casaita.
Thank you. Bob W b-bengineering.com
rdwatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 07:02 AM   #33

Ontario
Densilite XP

We got very lucky, Plasti Span is the manufacturer and they are near Hamilton Ontario, they happened to have some seconds for 1/2 price and a company that does plastic forming here in Ottawa was making an order so we had it shipped with theirs and it only cost $75. I ordered enough for the Amerigo and the Airstream. Whoo-hoo. That said there are numerous comparables available in the US. A good place to start looking is FG boat manufacturers. Google extruded PVC composite sheets (or boards). There are many options, Nyloboard, Polyboard, Puckboard, Thermolite. Trucking companies also use composite PVC to floor and wall the trucks, dairy farmers also use it to wall super clean dairy barns. Good luck.
Old 10-20-2015, 07:22 AM   #34

Ontario
Coupler mod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Stu View Post
Hi Lonnie!
I have the original hitch coupler assembly on my '74 FG-16 which seems really hokey and unsafe as it cannot be locked in place. I know it should be replaced and really like the idea of a receiver style setup in the trailer side. Do you have any pics of it and was it expensive to have done?
Thanks!
We had the welder unbolt the swingy coupler that worked the surge brakes and weld in a large receiver. He drilled holes to line up with the holes existing for the original bolts. He then welded the coupler to another 2"sq. receiver bar which slides in and is secured by 2 x1/2 inch implement pins. It is all Grd III or better. I am not sure how much it actually cost since we got lots of stuff done to the frame which cost a total of $500.
Old 10-20-2015, 07:28 AM   #35

Ontario
Pics

Coupler
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0130.jpg   IMGP0132.jpg  

Old 10-20-2015, 08:03 AM   #36

Name: Steve
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Stu View Post
Hi Lonnie!
Thanks!
Stu, did you catch this thread? http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post554654

It looks like the repair kit comes with an upgraded locking coupler. I need to do the same with mine as the non locking coupler is a little scary feeling to tow with. I'd wrap 12 gauge single strand wire around my non locking one as a safety but that gets old after a while.
SteveV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 06:14 AM   #37

Registry
Leonie Belcher,
Your work is inspiring...right now we have a completely gutted shell, still on the frame, waiting for a rigger to come help us get it off to take the frame in for checking over.
How's your refit of the Amerigo going? The Galileo? Love that idea, still searching for our "vision."
How are you coming with the question of what interior wall boards / material to use? We looked at the textured FRP white panels, they're quite nice but not sure they'd be strong enough...?
We cannot find "luan" ply; everything is thinner "hardboard" (cardboard-type stuff) or 1/4" ply, heavier than what came out.

Thanks, enjoying your photos and narrative very much.

Kai in Seattle
Old 10-28-2015, 05:07 PM   #38

Name: Doug
Trailer: Scamp 16, 1983
Maryland
Don't know if its too late, but I used an angle grinder with a general purpose wheel to cut the FG flange. I pulled the rotted floor sections first and trimmed the upper and lower FG "flanges" off. It was a mistake to remove the lower flange though! I was worried that the grinder would be too aggressive and grind through the shell on my Scamp 16, but found it quite easy to manage in practice. If I had to do it again (and I probably will for some front floor sections!) Ill only grind off the top flange. Re-taping the bottom flange, i.e. fiberglassing UP really sucked!
Thanks
Doug
dbdbgriggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 05:36 PM   #39

Registry
Thanks, not too late, Paul said he was thinking that very thing, that fiberglassing UP would be a real trick. Am glad for your advice.

Tags
amerigo