Full timing in an egg? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2007, 12:00 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I'd love to full-time but don't want a huge rv so would be very interested in how people feel about living in such a small space on a full or long periods of part time basis. I don't have an rv yet but know this is how I want to go in a short time when the house and kids are gone. I'm a nurse and it's a very portable job so that is a huge thing in my favor. Wonderful topic! I'll follow it with interest! Jane
Jane elvidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 02:15 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Different strokes for different folks!

I got into it inadvertently (We divorced, the house sold sooner than I expected and I found myself in an RV park with all my stuf in storage, so I decided it was a convenient time to travel... I spent nine years FullTiming, six of them in a 1991 Scamp 13'. YMMV!

There are several ladies FullTiming comfortably in 16' Scamps and Casitas with full baths.

BTW, a surprising number of hospitals have hookups in their parking lots for visiting relatives and I'm sure policies differ enough that many allow 'contractors' to roost.

I'm also pretty sure I have heard of Traveling Nurse organizations, so you might want to do some searching and also read the tax threads here.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 03:26 PM   #3

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
2005 17' Casita SD

Melanie and I full-timed for 14 months in 2005/2005. We also had two cats with us (and an outside cat cage with access through storage). It is doable. It requires a lot of adjusting. There is really not enough space so that two people can have some "space" of their own and if you want ot do things, eg quilting, sewing, beading, etc there is always a lack of space if the weather ain't great.

But all in all we enjoyed our time in the Casita. And are heading out on Saturday.

Over on the casita forums there are a number of fulltimers

Joseph and Melanie
Joseph and Melanie Castine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 10:19 PM   #4

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
Lori and I just got to spend a few nights with Dave & Leslie de Beaux. They have been fulltiming now for 10 months in a 13’ Scamp and are loving it.

They have inspired Lori & I to the point we are going to start getting rid of all our “stuff” over the next 18 months in preparation for retirement. At this point we plan to become homeless full timers.

Any insights you may have are surely welcomed.
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 03:15 AM   #5

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
When ever the wife starts to talk about retireing and say that we will not be able to make it on our S.S. checks from the Gov. I say we can always sell everything and live in the 13ft. Boler.
She shudders at the thought but I know I would just love it and would survive just fine.
The wife says she would have to spend twice as much getting away from the camper to keep her sanity if she had to live in it full time but as Pete says
Different strokes for Different folks
Gerry the canoebuilder
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 01:16 PM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
i'd love to FT in a casita. Husband is the stumbling block and hates tight spaces. I could care less, and love the freedom of lite travel.

lived in a tent once for several months and being off the ground is a big plus in a tt
tracy.c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 05:59 PM   #7

We were able to finally set up our Fiama screen room on our Casita. WOW! what a difference the additional space makes.

We have some refinements we need to make with the skirting along the trailer. but it was dramatic enough, we may not upgrade to a 25’ Bigfoot. After all, we really like our Casita.

We got our Fiama Screen Room from GoWesty. GoWesty no longer stocks and supports the Fiama Screen rooms however, Taylor will order one for you and give you a good deal. The screen rooms are shipped directly and warranted by Fiama.

Here is his contact info:
<blockquote>Taylor Grant
GoWesty! Camper Products
1119-A Los Olivos Avenue
Los Osos, CA 93402
1-888-469-3789 x102
taylor@gowesty.com</blockquote>
Old 08-01-2007, 03:50 AM   #8

Trailer: 1980 Dolphin 14 ft
Registry

I've been giving this one some thought for a few years. I can't believe the amount of "Stuff" a person accumulates over a period of years. It all has marginal value except to one person or the other in the family. When I get the other son to move out on his own, we will invite both boys to take whatever treasures are important to each of them. Then we arrange a series of garage sales, and give most of what is left to whomever can be talked into taking it. This accumulated "Stuff" stands in the way of doing what you want to do when you want to do it. Unfortunately I came from a home where we had little, owed everybody and worked our a**es off to accumulate everything. This makes it harder to part with it.
In recent years Rosemary and I have both been slowed down by arthritis and other mobility issues. This makes it sensible for us to down size our living arrangements to make it easier to keep, but I still have some convincing to do to get her to agree to call the Dolphin home on a permanent basis. Someday, however ...
Owen Lindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 12:06 PM   #9

Boy I hear ya Owen.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:59 AM   #10

Trailer: 2001 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Full timing in a 17 footer is doable for ONE person. I REALLY have to meet the couples who live in this length or smaller. I'm sure I could learn something from them. The length depends, however, on one's interests and what kind of places they will be staying in. If it's RV parks, one might choose a slightly larger fiberglass rig. My two cats and I thoroughly enjoy the simple lifestyle with a Casita.
Sebastian

https://shalyard.blogspot.com
Sebastian H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 08:06 PM   #11

Registry
Quote:
Full timing in a 17 footer is doable for ONE person. I REALLY have to meet the couples who live in this length or smaller. I'm sure I could learn something from them. The length depends, however, on one's interests and what kind of places they will be staying in. If it's RV parks, one might choose a slightly larger fiberglass rig. My two cats and I thoroughly enjoy the simple lifestyle with a Casita.
Sebastian
The question I've always wondered about. How much space do you need and why? One couple many of us know are very happy with their 13 foot scamp full timing. Does 4' make that much difference?
Old 08-13-2007, 09:48 PM   #12

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
In thinking about this for awhile, I realized that in my house, I have TWO spots that I spend time in. On my couch, with my laptop, and in bed (We don't count the bathroom or kitchen...)

Effectively, the rest of my house is a waste. I pay for the extra bedroom that stores stuff I haven't seen in years, I have things I only look at to dust, and I only go into my back yard once a year to clean up pine needles. It makes a nice buffer zone between me and the neighbor.. but it also is a great way for the county to take more money for me.

In the trailer, I have the same habits. I sit in one spot, in front of the TV, with a computer in my lap.. while the dogs sleep on the couch and occasionally play on the floor or go for a walk... just like at home.

Yes, I could live in the trailer easily. I have all I need, and the stuff I don't need, I don't have at home either.. I have no laundry facilities at home, and only ever lived in one house that did, I don't need a dishwasher, same there.. I never had one.. I am one person, so the small fridge is fine, and I have no problem with the Burro bathroom. I find it just as easy as at home. Without a family.. it is actually pretty easy.

In some ways, it's easier.. I don't have as much space to keep clean, or maintain.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 04:50 PM   #13

Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Some people are not comfortable unless there's plenty of space around them.

I mentioned to a friend that he could make an elderly parent apartment in his basement room (about 15ft2) and he was appalled that I could suggest something like that because there were no windows and he likes plenty of windows and French doors all around his house. Another person standing there when I suggested it gave me the "I don't see what's wrong with it" look.

Frankly, although I was quite comfortable in my 13', I don't think I would have been had there been another person in there with me.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 10:08 PM   #14

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

I am remembering a couple from Maine that (pre-hack) modified their 17' Casita Liberty with twin beds and a permanent counter/peninsula table across the back. (That mod was a work of art) They used to spend the winter in Florida, and the Summer in Maine. They decided to sell off the big property in Maine, and live Full time in an RV... and wound up apologizing in a post for getting "...a big honking truck and a Large 5th wheel "stickie" with slide-outs. For them, a 17' trailer was OK for only part of the year, but they needed more space for the 2 of them to be comfortable all of the time.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:40 PM   #15

Registry
As we talk about full timing maybe some the small or tiny house living hints and tips would help. A google search on small house living turned up a couple including this one.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:55 AM   #16

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
I am remembering a couple from Maine that (pre-hack) modified their 17' Casita Liberty with twin beds and a permanent counter/peninsula table across the back. (That mod was a work of art) They used to spend the winter in Florida, and the Summer in Maine. They decided to sell off the big property in Maine, and live Full time in an RV... and wound up apologizing in a post for getting "...a big honking truck and a Large 5th wheel "stickie" with slide-outs. For them, a 17' trailer was OK for only part of the year, but they needed more space for the 2 of them to be comfortable all of the time.
Don and Mary Ellen? There's also Larry Page and his wife, they sold their Scamp 5th wheel after trying to full-time in it for a while.

But, I think there are basically two kinds of full-timers. The people mentioned above, park their trailer's in RV parks and stay put for months on end. Then there are people like L&D who are full time "travelers." Everytime they check in, they're someplace new. And I think that type of full timing lends itself best with a smaller trailer.... after all, your "living room" constantly changes. It almost gets back to the "Are you an RVer or a Camper"? question.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 10:11 AM   #17

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Escape ('Turtle')
Registry
Quote:
As we talk about full timing maybe some the small or tiny house living hints and tips would help...
Interesting article Byron. We live in a relatively sm. house, some might call a cabin. But we have acreage and out buildings and are not confined to the house, much of our life is out of the house. Living in a trailer/RV really defines what is your private, exclusive "place" in the world. It seems considering full timing isn't just about "stuff", what you can and can't live with (haven't most of us had the experience of walking into our house after a trip and thinking, "I just lived happily for two weeks with very little, why do I need all this!?") but also about wiggle room. Some need very little, others much more. People who say they can live out of a backpack often need lots space and privacy to do so, or live where much is provided. Near where I live there are "boat people", living in small spaces but in a town accommodating that lifestyle and where they spend most of their time. When I think of fulltiming I DO NOT think of RV parks with amenities and other people, but more private settings in nature, (which are not always easy to find year round for longer stays.) In those settings it may be necessary to have more in that little trailer. (Did I mention we are sort of looking for a 17' Burro? )
Just some of thoughts. I much admire David and Leslie, they are good role models! Hope there will be more "eggcellant" examples of full timing!

Enjoy our travel photos at: Turtle Travels
Penney H. & Mike E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 10:50 AM   #18

Registry
Quote:
Interesting article Byron. We live in a relatively sm. house, some might call a cabin. But we have acreage and out buildings and are not confined to the house, much of our life is out of the house. Living in a trailer/RV really defines what is your private, exclusive "place" in the world. It seems considering full timing isn't just about "stuff", what you can and can't live with (haven't most of us had the experience of walking into our house after a trip and thinking, "I just lived happily for two weeks with very little, why do I need all this!?") but also about wiggle room. Some need very little, others much more. People who say they can live out of a backpack often need lots space and privacy to do so, or live where much is provided. Near where I live there are "boat people", living in small spaces but in a town accommodating that lifestyle and where they spend most of their time. When I think of fulltiming I DO NOT think of RV parks with amenities and other people, but more private settings in nature, (which are not always easy to find year round for longer stays.) In those settings it may be necessary to have more in that little trailer. (Did I mention we are sort of looking for a 17' Burro? )
Just some of thoughts. I much admire David and Leslie, they are good role models! Hope there will be more "eggcellant" examples of full timing!
It is interesting. I think I see a subculture developing, but that shouldn't be any surprise. Some of the children of the 50s and 60s always have created subcultures, gone against the establishment.

The next couple decades should be interesting.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:49 AM   #19

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Maybe this says it all?

= = = = = = =
Bare Necessities.
(From "Jungle Book.")

Look for the bare necessities
The simple bare necessities
Forget about your worries and your strife
I mean the bare necessities
Old Mother Nature's recipes
That brings the bare necessities of life

Wherever I wander, wherever I roam
I couldn't be fonder of my big home
The bees are buzzin' in the tree
To make some honey just for me

When you look under the rocks and plants
And take a glance at the fancy ants
Then maybe try a few
The bare necessities of life will come to you
They'll come to you!

That's why a bear can rest at ease
With just the bare necessities of life

Now when you pick a pawpaw
Or a prickly pear
And you prick a raw paw
Next time beware
Don't pick the prickly pear by the paw
When you pick a pear
Try to use the claw
But you don't need to use the claw
When you pick a pear of the big pawpaw
Have I given you a clue ?
The bare necessities of life will come to you
They'll come to you!

So just try and relax, yeah cool it
Fall apart in my backyard
'Cause let me tell you something little britches
If you act like that bee acts, uh uh
You're working too hard .

And don't spend your time lookin' around
For something you want that can't be found
When you find out you can live without it
And go along not thinkin' about it
I'll tell you something true
The bare necessities of life will come to you.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 12:13 PM   #20

Registry
Quote:
Maybe this says it all?

= = = = = = =
[b]Bare Necessities.
(From "Jungle Book.")
Old Mother Nature's recipes
That brings the bare necessities of life
<snip>
Shoot. All this time I thought that was saying bear necessities.

Tags
eggcamper