Recent Updates for the EggCamper - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2009, 04:01 PM   #1

Trailer: Eggcamper 17 ft Electric
Registry
I finally got around to doing some organization of the space and decorating in our EggCamper.

The EggCamper has two large closets. The one nearest the door had a closet pole for hanging clothing. The other was just open from bottom to top. However, the bottom of the street side front was carpeted plywood over the power cord storage and the bottom of the curb side front was carpeted plywood over the power converter.

I did the layout and cut away the foil insulation where I used 3M 4200 fast cure to glue hardwood blocks. Then made some cardboard templates to find the curvature of the wall. I moved the closet pole to the street side and added a shelf in that closet so that a couple of pairs of shoes would fit beneath it. Here are some photos of the shelving.

To be continued.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2037.JPG  
Ron F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 04:24 PM   #2

Registry
I managed to scale the size, so here are some more photos of the mods:
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2073.JPG  
Old 09-21-2009, 04:26 PM   #3

Registry
I moved the heater from it's originnal position, where the new drawers are now, and put it nearer the floor. And finally the curtains:
Attached Thumbnails
Curb_Side.JPG  
Old 09-21-2009, 05:59 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
Very nice!
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 06:49 PM   #5

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
you've done a wonderful job! i especially like the look of the curtains. i know you will be very comfortable with all of the great mods you have done. happy camping!
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 05:32 AM   #6

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983
Great Job! I know how satisfying working on your egg can be Keep it up!
April Wilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:37 AM   #7

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Nice! Much more practical!
Old 09-22-2009, 02:51 PM   #8

Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper
Ron,

You have really done a great job. Hope you had a teriffic summer.

Art

ps: I see you changed the under bed storage access also.
artspe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 03:40 PM   #9

Registry
Quote:
Ron,

You have really done a great job. Hope you had a teriffic summer.

Art

ps: I see you changed the under bed storage access also.
Hi Art,

Thanks, and yes the summer was a little wet, but we had some good camping in spite of it. I finally retired at the end of May. So, some of the projects that I'd planned for the egg finally came around.

I took the fiberglass flip up out completely, replaced the mattress support with plywood and built a couple of roll out, I guess you'd call them drawers. They're actually just a platform with a front and each one holds two plastic boxes that we use as clothing storage. The fit isn't quite what I want yet, but they are very functional.

I have a couple of other mods in my head at this point: an outside access hatch, curb side rear and an outside 120v outlet. Way in the future is solar.

I'm heading up to the White Mts this weekend and it's off grid. It's only two nights and I'm bringing my little Honda generator, so no power isn't that big a problem. The little fridge in these EggCampers is pretty efficient.

Here's shots of the under-bed storage things.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
Under_Bed_Open.JPG   Under_Bed.JPG  

Old 09-23-2009, 07:35 AM   #10

Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper
Ron,

The Roll-out looks like another well done job, very nice. We eliminated our blinds and added curtains because it was too much work putting the blinds up and down all the time (because of our dogs). As for the outside recept., I picked up a cover plate at Lowes which has a rubber gasket, is fairly flush and snaps shut. works well. I tied it into the GFI at the counter. I bought a plug in socket and a florescent bug light which I can just plug in when I want outside light at night (in hindsight I should have added a switch inside, maybe in the future). The curbside outside access is a great idea because we very seldom use that large space for anything because it is not easily accessable (my only concern would be keeping it water tight). I'll let you figure it out .

We're still working so we can't get as much time off as we'd like, but we did manage some weekends away and a week on long beach island.

Art

artspe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 03:42 PM   #11

Trailer: Eggcamper
Registry
Quote:
I finally got around to doing some organization of the space and decorating in our EggCamper.

The EggCamper has two large closets. The one nearest the door had a closet pole for hanging clothing. The other was just open from bottom to top. However, the bottom of the street side front was carpeted plywood over the power cord storage and the bottom of the curb side front was carpeted plywood over the power converter.

I did the layout and cut away the foil insulation where I used 3M 4200 fast cure to glue hardwood blocks. Then made some cardboard templates to find the curvature of the wall. I moved the closet pole to the street side and added a shelf in that closet so that a couple of pairs of shoes would fit beneath it. Here are some photos of the shelving.

To be continued.
Ron -
Thanks for taking the time to share your new mods for your EggCamper! We are brand new to this forum AND to the EggCamper. We spent Labor Day weekend reading all we could find about fiberglass rvs online - the next week we visited Jim Palmer at his Egg factory in Grandville, Michigan. Needless to say we are going to pick up our bright, shiney EggCamper day after tomorrow!

On our way home from seeing it for the first time we began planning –– what if we put some shelves in the closets - move this - tweak that - change the color of the doors - put this type of knob on... We can hardly wait to get ours home to begin our 'special touch' mods. Thanks for the great photos and ideas. With any luck I too will soon be posting our fun projects.

Retired in Michigan,

Bill
Old 10-04-2009, 05:16 PM   #12

Registry
Congratulations Bill,

I too retired this year. The open spaces in our EggCamper were just begging for shelves, and drawers. I think that if I were to order a new one, I'd have Jim make a couple of changes to make modifications a bit easier. For example, when I added the drawers on the curb side, I had to move the heater down. If had come from the factory in the lower location, it would have been easier. Likewise, I would have ordered the camper without the venetian blinds.

The closets are huge, and the new shelves make them very functional. Some people don't like the open toilet, but we just close it off with a nice shower curtain and it works fine for us. We've been married quite awhile, and it's just the two of us when we camp.

Good luck with your EggCamper.

Ron
Old 07-09-2012, 11:32 AM   #13

Name: Fred
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
Washington
Registry
It looks like your curtain are "rod-less", mounted in a track maybe? Do you know where to get such hardware?

--Fred and Natalie
1978 Trillium 4500 "Bernerwagon"
freddo411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:01 PM   #14

Registry
Fred,
The tracks came from Camping World. I also got strips of mating glide tape that can be sewn to the fabric there. The track was part# A202. The glide tape is part #A115.

Here's what it looks like: Glide-Tape, 72" - Rv Designer Collection A115 - Window Covering Hardware - Camping World

Ron
Old 07-21-2012, 08:45 PM   #15

Name: Jill
Minnesota AND Florida
Registry
Ron, I want to replace our Eggcamper blinds with drapes too, but I don't understand the installation of the track you used. How is it attached to the window? I was at camping world today and looked at several different types of window hardware and I couldn't understand any of them. And I have made my own drapes for my home! I then looked on the Googles to try and find some instructional videos or something and came up empty.
Also, a question about your wood span that holds up the bed. Do you have any kind of center support?
Thanks. Jill
MinnesotaJill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 04:17 AM   #16

Registry
Jill,
The window is installed with screws all the way around the frame. I simply removed a few of the screws (top & bottom), drilled holes in the plastic track at those screw locations and used the original screws to fasten the track to the window frame. If you look carefully at the photo of the curtains, you'll see the screw heads along the length of the track.

I added two cross pieces (facia boards) to the outer edge of the plywood and used the same thickness of plywood as the original (rear) piece of plywood. I didn't need to add any center support. The drawers roll in and out on bed box wheels. I got them from Rockler, but they've since discontinued them. But, if you google under bed box wheels, you can find a source.

Ron
Old 07-22-2012, 06:46 AM   #17

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
We also are going to replace the blinds in our EGG Camper. We'll leave the mounting brackets for the blinds. I bought some closet poles (wood) and will cut them to the appropriate length. I'll screw the closet poles to the tops of the blind brackets. I'll put the screws in from the bottom of the brackets and up into the closet poles. My wife will make some drapes that will have loops at the top and slip the loops onto the poles. Should work as well in our trailer as it does in one of our bedrooms in the house. We also are going to make a screen for the escape window using mosquito netting that will attach to the window frame with stick on hook & loop. Jim Palmer also told me that there is a glass door at Menard's, Lowe's, or Home Depot (can't remember which) that is a perfect fit for the shower/toilet room.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:07 AM   #18

Name: Jill
Minnesota AND Florida
Registry
Interesting .... I'll have to think about this. And the closet pole idea is interesting too. Will you post pictures when you are done? Ron, do you do any thing to secure the curtains at the bottom to have them hang closer to the window at the base? Because of the curve of the egg, I would think the curtains would hang away from the wall at the bottom.
MinnesotaJill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:59 AM   #19

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Great Job!!!!
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:50 AM   #20

Registry
Jill,
I used the same plastic track at the top and the bottom. So, the curtains are attached both top and bottom. The part that attaches to the cloth of the curtain is a soft plastic strip with glides attached with rivets at ~6 inch intervals. The plastic strip is sewn to the top and bottom of the curtain. The glides are captured on the track and there's a plastic stop at each end to keep them from slipping off the end.

Here's a better photo of the track and glide tape detail. What's really nice is how they stay very close to the window. We lean against the curtain at the head of the bed without worrying about damage.

Ron
Attached Images

Tags
eggcamper