New EggCamper Owner - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2012, 08:22 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Smile New EggCamper Owner

I purchased a 2010 EggCamper a couple of weeks ago from another Fiberglass RV member.

I had been considering buying a small trailer for some time and for various reasons had decided that I wanted an EggCamper. I don't have the skill or the will for restoration or repair of an older egg so I had determined that I wanted a new or fairly new EggCamper. Finding a used EggCamper is very difficult and I was pretty close to ordering a new EggCamper when I saw a post on the forums for a 2010 EggCamper that had been used twice.

So....I had never seen an EggCamper in person...I had never towed anything and never been camping...and I bought the trailer sight unseen the next day...did I mention that the trailer was 750 miles from where I live?

The sellers were super nice thru the entire transaction. They kept the trailer an extra couple of weeks until I could get three days off work to make the trip to get the trailer.

My sister and I made the trip and successfully towed the trailer home with no issues. The EggCamper was in pristine condition and the owners had made several excellent additions/modifications to the EggCamper that increased the value of the trailer.

The sellers also provided much needed advice and instruction. I do think they thought I was a little crazy but they were very helpful while thinking it.

So I have a lot to learn (thanks to all of you for what I have already learned over the last few months) but I am eager to figure it all out.

Ms Gayle
Ms. Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:32 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Yo Gayle! Welcome to FiberglassRV.. we're glad you're here.

Remember, none of us were born with a molded fiberglass trailer spoon in our mouths... we've all learned, some more than others. But, what an adventure!

We're here for you.. just ask
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:12 PM   #3

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Congrat's!

Eggcamper's are cool. Enjoy it! So when's your first campout? And we certainly like pic's here...........
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 03:04 PM   #4

Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper
Gayle,

Hope you have as much enjoyment with your EggCamper as we have had with ours.

Art
artspe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 03:11 PM   #5

Well that sure is a neat story. Thanks for taking the time to type it up and share it here. You and your sister already have one great memory in the egg. Happy Camping
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 05:28 PM   #6

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
you truly are adventurous! i applaude your guts to do this without any previous camping experience.
welcome and happy camping!!
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:12 PM   #7

Name: Ronnie
Trailer: 2000 Scamp 13, 72 Alpine Sprite
Alabama
congratulations!
bicklebok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:34 PM   #8

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Can you drive it to the fish fry IN in May? Lots of folks to give you all kinds of advice (and good fish!).

Welcome. You now have a camper that I look at a lot. Were we in the market, it would be one of the kinds I would consider.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:58 PM   #9

Thanks for the Invite

Thanks for the invite CindyL...sounds like it will be fun...unfortunately I cannot get away during that time frame...maybe the next one...
Ms. Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:22 PM   #10

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (Previously 2004 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel)
Way to jump right in! Here's to many (more) adventures in your new trailer!
Karen T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:39 PM   #11

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicklebok View Post
congratulations!
Ditto, hope you have fun! 750 miles is certainly the jump in with both feet kind of start.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:29 PM   #12

Name: Mary
Trailer: bought a used 2010 EGG
Florida
Hello to everyone. I will soon be a NEW EGG myself.

I will be picking up my 2010 EGG on Monday and I am so excited. I have been reading the discussion threads and getting ideas on how to deck out my EGG but that will have to wait until spring. I guess you have to become a master at storage systems. I have a girlfriend that lives 12 months a year in a Scamp and travels to campgrounds all over the country working for her rent. Trading dollars for days, what a great life. If there are special rallies that take place I hope to attend. See you all soon in Mary's Play House.

I have a question about the need for a generator. I was told that a Honda 2000 was all a person needed but even though a Honda 3000 would weigh more, would it be better to have MORE power? OR is a generator needed? I realize you can pay for a hook up at the parks but if you have your own power source does it save you money in the long run?
figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:45 PM   #13

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Mary, For the cost of a Honda generator, you could buy solar cells, a couple of good batteries, and an inverter. The power you require in a trailer is minimal, especially if you have LED lights. An electric heater is really the only thing you need a generator for. I would suggest that you purchase a propane furnace instead.
Many of your fellow campers in the camp ground will be happier if you don't run a generator. I purchased a small 1200 watt generator for $200. I have never used it.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:51 PM   #14

Trailer: Eggcamper 17 ft Electric
Registry
Mary,
If you are picking up a 2010 "EggCamper," the Honda 2000 will handle it easily. Remember, you won't be running the heat and the AC at the same time, so the only other 120 VAC loads will be the converter, and if you have them, the microwave, and coffee maker.

But consider David's advice. I initially bought a Honda generator, camped with it once and then left it home. As quiet as it was, it still made more noise than I wanted to hear. Beyond that, many campgrounds have restrictions on generator use (hours of operation).

I added solar to my EggCamper and changed all the lighting to LEDs. Although the solar won't run the 120VAC appliances, it does maintain the battery so that I can go pretty much indefinitely on 12vdc. The fridge is 12 vdc and very efficient. I also added propane and a propane furnace to my EggCamper.

Ron
Ron F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:19 PM   #15

I agree with the above. The price of solar panels has plummeted and generators are a real scourge in the campground - even the quiet Hondas.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:29 PM   #16

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Solar panels will do a great job...but not run an air conditioner...
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:35 PM   #17

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
I would go with solar over a generator. Solar a panel smaller than a card table vs gas, oil, genarator and noise.

Assuming your fridge will run off of propane (typical) or is a 12 volt compressor type. Even if you solar panel can't "keep up" 100% with your power use you will run out of water before electricity if you gain 75% of your daily power usage from solar.

Having a genarator won't generally save you money on your site.

Most parks have electric hook up with amenities that go up in price from there. Water and sewer hook up on site, or heavy duty (50 amp) electric service for big RV's with two AC units cost more. So even the most basic site will generally have electric hook up.

Some parks have inexpensive "rustic" area or you might camp in the boondocks in those cases you can do everything you need off of battery. You give up air conditioning, and need to limit your use of things that use electricity to create heat. Replace some of your light bulbs with energy efficient LED bulbs as has been mentioned.

Need an inverter to run AC appliances off of battery and heating appliances draw a lot of power. Toaster, coffee pot if left on, space heater etc. so you want to avoid those on battery. But you can still use your laptop, charge your camera, even watch tv etc.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:51 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
Solar panels will do a great job...but not run an air conditioner...
Right, that is what fans are for.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:01 PM   #19

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Right, that is what fans are for.

Only so helpful when its really humid lol... just saying if your boondocking and have an ac and want to use it your gonna need an appropriate sized unit
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:07 PM   #20

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Tom is correct. Under most conditions an electric vent fan will cool off the trailer at night. They are available with a thermostat to shut off and close when you reach the desired temp, or if it rains. Best of all, they can be run on solar power.
I have to apologize for my previous post where I suggested that you buy a trailer with propane heat. Somehow I missed the fact that you have a trailer already. Also, I live in Canada, so air-conditioning is just not something I think about.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eggcamper