Brand New Trillium Outback 2017 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2017, 02:52 PM   #1

Name: Bruce
Trailer: Trilluim Outback
British Columbia
Brand New Trillium Outback 2017

We just took delivery of our Trillium Outback trailer, made in Calgary Alberta. We ordered her last January and she took longer than anticipated to be built - several promised delivery dates came and went. Apart from the wait, this trailer and the delivery process far exceeded our expectations. We inadvertently ended up towing her home to Vancouver BC in a severe winter blizzard, literally driving through mountain passes as the roads were closed behind us. We have a Toyota Tacoma 4x4 and the trailer pulled like a dream behind the truck.

Because we dropped into the Outback factory last summer we learned wood cabinets and custom gel coat were options, hence the knotty alder and retro yellow colour. We had an old Triple E trailer when we raised our three boys which we called "Mr. Mustard". Now that it's just the two of us, "Mrs. Mustard" seems palatial!

Although we initially considered the toilet floor plan, we changed to the dinette model so we can leave the bed made up most of the time. There is a port-a-pottie for emergencies (under the dinette drawer) but we never used the one we had in the old trailer.

Joe added several convenient options, including a port for charging electronics, several conventional plugs, rock guard paint on the entire lower exterior. He patiently went over all the features and systems on the trailer and loaned us a license plate until we could get to BC and obtain insurance. When we lost a battery cover on the way home, Joe quickly mailed us a replacement.

Here are many pictures of our beauty. She has a hot/cold outdoor shower, fantastic fan, large stainless sink and fancy stove. The blinds have velcro to secure them in place when down and they go up automatically. We picked out the upholstery fabric and it is really good quality. We have 14" wheels for extra clearance; they are pretty fancy too!

We took Mr. Mustard up to the Yukon and down to San Diego - plan to retrace our steps in Mrs. Mustard (maybe wait until a change in the USA political situation before heading south). We hoped to have her for our trip to Newfoundland last summer so a repeat trip to the Canadian East Coast will be much more comfortable now - a luxurious upgrade to sleeping under the truck canopy.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2677.jpg   IMG_2678.jpg  

Attached Images

Bruce Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 09:18 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft 2006 / 2005 Honda Pilot
Registry
Sweet!!
Anne H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 10:03 PM   #3

Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB, 2004
Quebec
Registry
Congratulations to you two!
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 05:07 AM   #4
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Evolution?

Great pictures. I can't help but notice the differences between your Outback and my California made Trillium. It's my understanding that at one time they were one company. Since the split each manufacturer has made slight changes. Mine has a different door threshold. The rear reflectors near the belly band are gone. On yours they have corrected the door misalignment. And of course they have different windows. Inside, I have shelves across the back and front that are rather flimsy. Your shelves seem more substantial.

Glad you got your new trailer safely home. Now you can start to plan your summer. Safe travels, Raz

Click image for larger version

Name:	_20170216_054959.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	102999
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 08:29 AM   #5

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Rhodes View Post
We just took delivery of our Trillium Outback trailer, made in Calgary Alberta. We ordered her last January and she took longer than anticipated to be built - several promised delivery dates came and went. Apart from the wait, this trailer and the delivery process far exceeded our expectations. We inadvertently ended up towing her home to Vancouver BC in a severe winter blizzard, literally driving through mountain passes as the roads were closed behind us.
Congrats on a great looking trailer. Not the first time Trillium Outback has been behind schedule, but they always seem to produce. I have enjoyed dealing with them for parts and service.

We came the opposite way with our ne Escape 5.0TA a couple weeks ago, but were blessed with perfect winter driving conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Rhodes View Post
(maybe wait until a change in the USA political situation before heading south).
This is a great time to head south, and we fully plan on doing so a bunch in the coming years. Lots of great people and places to see in the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
It's my understanding that at one time they were one company.
They were never affiliated at all. The only business they did together was Joe Thoen sold Tom Young some forms, and for a short bit did make some shells for him, but that did not work out.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 09:33 AM   #6
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post

They were never affiliated at all. The only business they did together was Joe Thoen sold Tom Young some forms, and for a short bit did make some shells for him, but that did not work out.

Come on Jim, I read it on the Internet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Originally made in Markham, Ontario. Then Ramblin Ind. made them for a time in the 90's in Alberta.

In 2002, Trilliums where again being made in Alberta and are still being made there but with the new name Outback - after two partners had a bit of a falling out (around 2005?) and the guys in Alberta lost the right to use the Trillium name ..... or so the story goes.

Due to the failing out one partner started having them made in the US, at various locations in the US from about 2005 to 2015? Escape Trailers in Chilliwack BC also built them under contract in about 2008/9? with the name Trillium on them. Around late 2013 the US company was sold to another RV manufacturer Great West Vans and the trailers where being built in Manitoba for a couple of years under the name SideKick before the company moving south to Alabama in early 2015? and where the company was called Sterling RV & the trailers once again had the Trillium name on them. The Alabama plant closed it doors in late summer or early spring last year - I haven't heard if they are back in biz or not

If you share the VIN with David it would be pretty easy to see where it fits into the current list to see what year it may actually be.

It is not at all uncommon for older trailers to have the wrong model year on their registration papers. Sometimes older than the new owner thinks but it can also be much newer as well.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:09 AM   #7

Name: Kim
Trailer: Uhaul
California
Registry
Very nice. Love the paint job.
California Bay Area
kkinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 06:22 PM   #8

Name: Tim
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
Good for you, we'll watching for it on the road and in campgrounds !
Tim from BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 07:20 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
Come on Jim, I read it on the Internet.
Gotsta be true then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Originally made in Markham, Ontario. Then Ramblin Ind. made them for a time in the 90's in Alberta.

In 2002, Trilliums where again being made in Alberta and are still being made there but with the new name Outback - after two partners had a bit of a falling out (around 2005?) and the guys in Alberta lost the right to use the Trillium name ..... or so the story goes.

Due to the failing out one partner started having them made in the US, at various locations in the US from about 2005 to 2015? Escape Trailers in Chilliwack BC also built them under contract in about 2008/9? with the name Trillium on them. Around late 2013 the US company was sold to another RV manufacturer Great West Vans and the trailers where being built in Manitoba for a couple of years under the name SideKick before the company moving south to Alabama in early 2015? and where the company was called Sterling RV & the trailers once again had the Trillium name on them. The Alabama plant closed it doors in late summer or early spring last year - I haven't heard if they are back in biz or not

If you share the VIN with David it would be pretty easy to see where it fits into the current list to see what year it may actually be.

It is not at all uncommon for older trailers to have the wrong model year on their registration papers. Sometimes older than the new owner thinks but it can also be much newer as well.
Most of this is quite accurate, but Joe and Tom were never partners. Joe sold moulds to Tom. Tom applied for the right to the name and got it, I don't believe Joe ever did try.

Escape was building 13' Trilliums for Tom Young in 2008/2009 as Carol mentioned. I saw a couple when I picked up my 2009 19 in May, but Escape quit making them shortly after, having enough on their plate with increased production of their own trailers.

I haven't talked to Joe in over a year, but am going to pop out there one of these days to pick up a couple things from him for my daughter's Trillium 1300.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 07:33 PM   #10
Raz

It's unfortunate that neither operation produced many trailers. The Trillium is a very well thought out design. I had high hopes that Great West would make a go of it. Oh well, sooner or later those molds will show up again. About the time I'm ready for a new trailer, I hope.

Tags
trillium