Burro Trailer Company - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2009, 12:06 PM   #21

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
Quote:
What does everyone know about the Burro Trailer Company? I understand they went out of business several years ago. Quality and management problems may have been the problem. I’ve looked in the archives and haven’t found a lot of information. I think the idea of building your own trailed from a kit is an intriguing one. Do you think the molds are lost in Mexico?

Thanks,
Sandy

If its a kit you want you may be able to get one from "the eggcamper" I understand that they will fill orders for kits. They are constucted very much like the Burro in the way that they come about a foot wider and with the verticle seam.
Old 07-22-2009, 02:33 PM   #22

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Quote:
If its a kit you want you may be able to get one from "the eggcamper" I understand that they will fill orders for kits. They are constucted very much like the Burro in the way that they come about a foot wider and with the verticle seam.
Yes, I toured the Eggcamper facility and they seem well designed and constructed, with a double wall like the Burro, but a flat door for a better seal. They will sell a unit in kit form.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 04:03 PM   #23

Trailer: 1960 28 ft Airstream
Quote:
Yes, I toured the Eggcamper facility and they seem well designed and constructed, with a double wall like the Burro, but a flat door for a better seal. They will sell a unit in kit form.
They used to, but when I checked earlier this year, they said they wouldn't unless business slowed down. Has anyone checked recently?

Pam
Pamela H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 05:56 PM   #24

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe / Infiniti SUV
Quote:
I live not to far from Sac Iowa and travel that way from time to time if anyone has any info on where the original molds might be located I will go check it out. Be nice to know more history.
The last place where Burros were built was in an industrial area on the west side of Escondido, California. That's where Burro was operating when they started taking "deposits" and not delivering. What happened to the molds remains one of the mysteries of the fiberglass trailer world. Now, at least a person---Mike Holtby---claims he was instrumental in shutting them down, but might he know where the scoundrels and their molds are?---The San Diego District Attorney apparently never caught up with them. I would guess the IRS and a few others are looking, too. Scott, have you asked Holtby about other particulars of the Burro shutdown? Might be interesting, especially for you Burro owners, if he has anything to add to his blog.
George Cathcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 06:31 PM   #25

Trailer: 13 ft Burro
Quote:
Scott, have you asked Holtby about other particulars of the Burro shutdown? Might be interesting, especially for you Burro owners, if he has anything to add to his blog.
I emailed him but got nothing back yet. Did the last Burro company use the old molds, the web page looked like it was an new style? Someone on here mentioned the original molds were in a little town north of Sac Iowa.

I have to admit I like the old style cloud/burro/Uhaul style.

Regards.
Scott B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 04:44 AM   #26

Trailer: Cloud 13 ft and Compact Jr
Did anyone locate the molds in Sac Iowa? If so where exactly.
DonDeutsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 03:47 PM   #27

Quote:
Did anyone locate the molds in Sac Iowa? If so where exactly.

I asked the same question but nobody seemed to have the answer. Anybody?
Old 08-25-2009, 04:58 PM   #28

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
The Escondido Burro molds are/were in Mexico. I believe that because of OSHA regulations on fiberglass molding facilities in the U.S. that the Escondido molds were manufactured in Mexico and never came north across the boarder. I'd expect that they just shipped the finished shells across to San Diego.

The Sac City molds, at least as recently as about three years ago were located in Schaller, IA.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 07:48 PM   #29

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Here is the Domain registration info for Burro:

Registrant:
FiberglassUSA
PO Box 4227
San Diego, CA 91909
US
(775) 924 0045
Fax775) 924 0045

Domain Name: BURROTRAILERS.COM

Administrative Contact:
MacArthur, Johnathan jm.mil[at]9ox.net
PO Box 4227
San Diego, CA 91909
US
(775) 924 0045
Fax775) 924 0045

Technical Contact:
MacArthur, Johnathan jm.mil[at]9ox.net
PO Box 4227
San Diego, CA 91909
US
(775) 924 0045
Fax775) 924 0045

Record last updated 07-09-2004 03:02:15 PM
Record expires on 01-17-2010
Record created on 01-17-2001

Domain servers in listed order:
NS0.DIRECTNIC.COM 69.46.233.245
NS1.DIRECTNIC.COM 69.46.234.245

Looks like they last updated in 2004 and it expires in January if anyone wants to try and pick it up.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 07:17 PM   #30

Trailer: Boler
Quote:
I asked the same question but nobody seemed to have the answer. Anybody?

I found the burro molds. You will be able to see them in a a couple years when I finish the documentary, sorry to make you wait.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...amp;hl=bolerdoc
Matt, H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 08:07 PM   #31

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Matt,

I'm surprised and disappointed to read that. Everyone here has been very forthcoming with information to help you with your documentary. I don't believe anyone has asked for reimbursement or withheld info that could help you.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 08:19 PM   #32

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
When I met Matt at the Washington Gathering last June, he was toting a commercial grade video camera. Perhaps he doesn't have any way to post pictures of just the molds. I don't remember seeing a digital or regular camera hanging around his neck.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 09:31 PM   #33

Well perhaps I owe you an apology, Matt. I took your post to mean that you weren't going to tell us where you found the molds, or post photos of them, in order to have a "scoop" for your documentary.

If you are planning to tell us about it here, but simply do not have a way to take stills, then that's different (I don't have a movie camera, and was mistakenly thinking that one could make "stills" from them).

Maybe you could explain it in a bit more detail?

Raya
Old 09-21-2009, 12:51 PM   #34

Trailer: Casita
Quote:
When I met Matt at the Washington Gathering last June, he was toting a commercial grade video camera. Perhaps he doesn't have any way to post pictures of just the molds. I don't remember seeing a digital or regular camera hanging around his neck.
I suspect commercial grade means DV tape and probably mini DV tape. If so it is digital already. A string of digital frames run together to make a movie, any of which can be converted to a single digital image.
ronsmith100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 03:12 PM   #35

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
Here's an interesting twist to the Burro story. Mine is an 1986 17 ' and the cert of origin dated Dec 13, 1985 shows Chaska,Mn. just south of Plymouth,Mn. It was sold by Burro of New England Ludlow,MA.
So they were still made in MN. as of 1985

I don't know if Burro of New England bought the kit version and finished it or were a real dealer.
Says 1700 lbs by the way.
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 01:54 PM   #36

Quote:
I found the burro molds. You will be able to see them in a a couple years when I finish the documentary, sorry to make you wait.

A couple years! A bit dissapointing to hear this type of statement.

I cant say I am that interested.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:45 AM   #37

Quote:

The molds I am referring to are the Burro molds near Sac City Iowa. Some of the molds are stored inside some are outside. There are other Burro molds in Mexico made by a different company.
Old 10-07-2009, 01:17 PM   #38

Hi Matt,

We were just wondering if you would share your information with us (where the molds are, and what they look like). We've shared quite a bit of well-researched information with you, gratis, (and are continuing to do so).

If you're withholding the information just to have it to yourself, it seems a bit stingy, considering.

If not, and if you simply did not understand that we were curious, can you post it here? I'm sure that some of our folks would find it interesting, and it would be good to have it in our searchable archives.

Thank you,

Raya
Old 10-07-2009, 02:07 PM   #39

Quote:
Hi Matt,

We were just wondering if you would share your information with us (where the molds are, and what they look like). We've shared quite a bit of well-researched information with you, gratis, (and are continuing to do so).

If you're withholding the information just to have it to yourself, it seems a bit stingy, considering.

If not, and if you simply did not understand that we were curious, can you post it here? I'm sure that some of our folks would find it interesting, and it would be good to have it in our searchable archives.

Thank you,

Raya
This is my last post on this subject. If you really need some information send me a PM with your home phone number.
Old 10-07-2009, 03:08 PM   #40

Hi Matt,

I don't see the content in your last post?

I don't specifically need your information. I'm not sure how to explain this more clearly, and I was trying not to be offensive and to give you the benefit of the doubt, but it is starting to seem like you are happy to take our information (from the forum members collectively), but are not are not planning to share your information in kind.

That seems pretty rotten to me, after all that the the members here have given freely of their information to help you.

The members and moderators here do their best and put forth quite a bit of (volunteer) effort in order to make our database a good one; a free and accurate database for all to use. Since you have (and are) benefitting from that, it seems like you might give back when you can?

Apparently you don't see it the same way. That's too bad. I'm sorry I chipped in, but when I did it was in the spirit of an open and reciprocal information exchange. My bad.

Raya

Tags
burro