U-Haul CT13, need parts and help - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2017, 02:08 PM   #21

Name: Rick
Trailer: U Haul
California
Dometric Manual

Thanks Glenn !....got it !
rickeelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 02:09 PM   #22

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I saw that Glenn, that he has a Dometic fridge. My point was that it is not original Uhaul equipment and there will not be any info in the owners manual. Your link should help him with what he needs to know.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 02:14 PM   #23

California
Dometric Manual and UHaul Furnace

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickeelee View Post
Hi Mary and Bob.....thanks for the info.....the "ice box" looks to be original....it is a DOMETRIC....and has an access compartment for "maintenance"....on the lower front exterior/driver's side....of the camper ? (RM2190 DC/LPG
Hi Mary and Bob .....thank you for all your help !.....still can't seem to figure out why my furnace blower runs with no heat (flame) when it is running off the 12V battery....?

I was able to locate a Dometic Refrigerater Manual....followed the "gas operation" instructions but can't seem to get the "burner" to fire up .........
Old 03-06-2017, 04:54 PM   #24

New York
Before I removed our Uhaul furnace, I found it didn't work good on the battery. It does run on 12 volts, but it has to have enough voltage to open the gas valve. Ours worked better when the trailer was plugged into 110 and the converter then apparently putting out a little more voltage than just the battery. The way the furnace works is, turn up thermostat, fan will run to purge any residual gas, a sail switch closes (fan blowing on it), then the gas valve opens and it ignites. May have to try it several times to get any air out of the lines, helps to light the stove first. Check the electrode for spark. You can find wiring diagram in the repair manual.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:58 PM   #25

California
Furnace

Hi Mary and Bob,

Thanks for the info......I'll give it a try.

May be a bad ignitor......any ideas on how/where to find a replacement ?
Old 03-07-2017, 07:11 AM   #26

New York
As I recall, since it's been a few years since I messed with our furnace, There is a little round inspection "window" in the lower front of the furnace that you can see the ignition spark through. Works like a spark plug in a car, an insulated electrode that has a gap between it and another point that the spark jumps to. The gap has to be correct. It's possible for debris to be on the electrode causing it to malfunction. Typical of furnaces, they can build up a soot coating inside that will flake off and drop to the bottom. I found it in my furnace, pulled out the electrode, vacuumed out the heat exchanger, and cleaned and adjusted the electrode. There is a gasket there that will probably fall apart and you will have to make a new one out of some heat resistant material. When I worked on home heating equipment it was common to find older hot air furnaces that had rust holes or cracks in the heat exchanger allowing products of combustion into the living area of a house. Can happen with camper furnaces too. I pulled ours out and scrapped it. We had replacement electrodes available and also ceramic tubes and metal rod so that we could make an electrode if a direct replacement wasn't available.
Old 03-07-2017, 07:18 AM   #27

New York
Furnace repair and troubleshooting is on page 26 of the repair manual. It is in the document center here.
Old 03-08-2017, 01:47 AM   #28

California
Furnace

Hi Bob and Mary,

Thanks again for all your valuable info......I will be cleaning all the furnance parts tomorrow....hopefully it is one of the issues you described.

As I mentioned earlier, the blower works like a champ, but no spark to the gas, i.e. no heat.
Old 03-10-2017, 12:08 PM   #29

Name: Perk
Trailer: Formerly U-Haul
Arizona
Registry
If you do not find success in those efforts, there are two furnaces for sale over on the U-Haul Camper Group on Facebook. We are a closed group of about 660 U-Haul and Burro owners. Bob has excellent knowledge but if you need a part or a replacement furnace I thought you could join there too and inquire of those furnaces. Best of success.

Perk
Perk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 01:27 PM   #30

California
Furnace

Thanks Perk.....will do !
Old 03-10-2017, 01:37 PM   #31

New York
Rick; lots of good info in the files section there too.
Old 04-04-2017, 11:44 PM   #32

California
Hi Mary and Bob...thanks again for all your help and info.

Just finished laying carpet in my UHaul ( CT 13 )and it looks great !

Was curious to know if the "cap" with hose connection leading to the small pump that feeds the " evaporative cooler " is replaceable......mine appears to be missing ?

Or if necessary a " modification " of parts from a hardware store ?
Old 04-05-2017, 06:09 AM   #33

New York
The swamp cooler (evaporative cooler) I don't know much about. They are only useful in a dry climate. Apparently they were added after the trailers were in service as the original parts book shows a standard roof vent. When we bought our Uhaul, the roof unit was there but the water tank and pump were gone. I replaced the roof unit with a Fantastic Fan. The Uhaul repair manual has directions on installing the swamp cooler but no picture of the tank.
Old 04-14-2017, 04:30 PM   #34

California
Hello Again,

In an earlier thread you mentioned removing your " swamp cooler ". I am in the process of doing the same. I've been able to take out the four corner bolts that hold down the cooler and have disconnected all electrical connections. Trying to tackle ( remove ) the rooftop chassis that the actual cooler sets in. Problem is the entire chassis appears to be epoxied or glued ( with some sort of silicone material ) to the roof itself. Any suggestions on how to get the chassis and all that "stuff " off the roof in ordet to mount the new Fan-tastic Fan into the square opening ? Also, which model Fan-tastic Fan do you recommend ? Thanks

Rick
Old 04-14-2017, 06:33 PM   #35

New York
Work around it with a putty knife is about the best advice I can give for removal of that swamp cooler. I don't remember which one I bought, not home right now, I'll try to remember to look it up Monday. I did buy it on eBay, paid a little more than the cheapest price I found because the seller would take returns.
Old 04-14-2017, 06:59 PM   #36

California
Swamp Cooler Removal

Thanks Bob......will do ! I put some "stripper " on it to try to "soften " it up......and was told to spray it with mineral spirits. Any logic to that ?

Rick
Old 04-14-2017, 08:26 PM   #37

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickeelee View Post
Thanks Bob......will do ! I put some "stripper " on it to try to "soften " it up......and was told to spray it with mineral spirits. Any logic to that ?

Rick
Don't know about that, never tried it. As far as I know the swamp coolers were added after the trailers were in service, so who knows what was used to seal it to the roof. I don't even remember how hard it was to get mine off, not too difficult I think. Look into a Maxx Air fan, I've heard they may be better.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:55 AM   #38

Name: Linda
Trailer: Uhaul CT-13
California
Registry
Windows and heater

Hi,

We replaced all four windows after trying (and failing) to rebuild them. We ordered pounds of recommended gaskets, prepared vigorously, and couldn't get the windows back in despite calisthenics and a near divorce. So we bought new front and back windows from Scamp and ordered two side windows from Motion Windows (we sent a template) that fit perfectly and installed without acrimony.

We were uncomfortable with the furnace, so we removed it and use the space for storage. We have a Mr. Heater Buddy that works fine.

By the way, if you need butyl tape, this is a good source: ***Buy Bed-It Butyl Tape*** Photo Gallery by Compass Marine How To at pbase.com
Lindl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 10:58 AM   #39

New York
[QUOTE=Lindl;661607]Hi, couldn't get the windows back in despite calisthenics and a near divorce.

We were uncomfortable with the furnace, so we removed it and use the space for storage. We have a Mr. Heater Buddy that works fine.

The side windows can be a little difficult to get in, I've done three, one on our trailer, two on someone else's. So you went from a vented heating unit to one that dumps the products of combustion into the trailer. Be sure to have a window partially open when using the Mr Heater. we also took our furnace out, now use an electric heater. We have two sizes of the Mr Heater, don't like to use them inside.
Old 09-15-2017, 12:45 PM   #40

Name: Linda
Trailer: Uhaul CT-13
California
Registry
Good reminder

We do keep the windows open, but thank you for the warning.

We didn't find it difficult to install new side windows from Motion Windows. But we had experience: hours of trying to wrestle the original windows back into their former holes. We love Motion Windows.
Lindl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
u-haul