We're Saddling Up the Burro. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2014, 09:07 PM   #1

Name: Don
Trailer: 1989 Burro
Tennessee
We're Saddling Up the Burro.

Y'all watch for us. We'll be traveling a total of 5200 miles round trip from Tennessee to California. All of three weeks! We can't wait to get started. We'll post some progress reports and maybe get to meet a few FGRVers.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1761.jpg   IMG_1728.jpg  

IMG_1735.jpg   IMG_1757.jpg  

IMG_4010.jpg   DSC00921.jpg  

IMG_4062.jpg   IMG_4034.jpg  

Old 08-23-2014, 09:17 PM   #2

Name: Gage
Trailer: 13' Burro
California
Where abouts in California are you headed? Oh, and bring water.
gage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:55 PM   #3

Tennessee
Water on the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gage View Post
Where abouts in California are you headed? Oh, and bring water.
Hi Gage! After leaving Taho we'll be in Northern CA (Jedidiah Smith SP) before dropping down the coast to SF. We'll bring water! It's been raining every day here in TN.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:31 PM   #4

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
3 weeks, you have plenty of time for fun! Does your Burro have air conditioning? If not, try to map out some higher elevation campsites along your route so it cools down for enough at night for sleeping. Have you decided on your route out and back, or are you leaving things really flexible?
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 12:56 AM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Have fun! Love the decor - great job! As others have said if heading West bring lots of water and a few water misters to keep cool.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 05:15 AM   #6

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
I'd just like to see the look on peoples' face along the way when you show them the interior. Shock and awe! Great job! Have fun!

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 07:24 AM   #7

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
3 weeks, you have plenty of time for fun! Does your Burro have air conditioning? If not, try to map out some higher elevation campsites along your route so it cools down for enough at night for sleeping. Have you decided on your route out and back, or are you leaving things really flexible?

No we don't have air so we really appreciate your higher elevation suggestion. Do you think we will need reservations this time of year? We're 90 degrees in TN but the humidity is uncomfortably high. We're hoping that we can tolerate higher temps with lower humidity. We have two small fans but we might need something that can really move the air. We've selected the I-80 route going out and returning on I-40.

Don & Marilyn
1983 Burro
Old 08-24-2014, 07:29 AM   #8

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Have fun! Love the decor - great job! As others have said if heading West bring lots of water and a few water misters to keep cool.

Thanks Carol! We didn't even think about misters. We'll pick up two today. I remember when we were in Sedona a few years back how refreshing it was when the street misters came on. Thank you!

Don & Marilyn
1983 Burro
Old 08-24-2014, 07:30 AM   #9

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomK View Post
I'd just like to see the look on peoples' face along the way when you show them the interior. Shock and awe! Great job! Have fun!

Tom

You made Marilyn's day!

Don & Marilyn
1983 Burro
Old 08-24-2014, 09:05 AM   #10

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
You should have no problem with the heat in California, except for the desert. Surprisingly, the hottest time is in mid-September. Campgrounds should have space available especially during the week since all schools will be in session. Have a great trip!
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 09:18 AM   #11

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Yes, the interior is eye-catching. It looks very comfy and welcoming.

The I-80 corridor should be reasonably cool at night. I-40 could be blistering hot in many locales, though. I like to use a website like wunderground.com or weather.com to plug in cities along my route and see what their forecasts and the typical highs/lows are for the time period. I think about how far I intend to travel (roughly) each day and then I locate a few possible campgrounds in each of those areas. If it's likely to be uncomfortably hot I map out the CGs in the higher elevations wherever possible.

For example, on the route back you could spend a night around Mammoth Lakes, where there are many campgrounds but also tons of boondock sites under the trees on national forest land. I spent 2 nights boondocking at Sagehen Meadow, a bit east of Mono Lake and just 2 miles off the main highway, yet I saw not another soul the whole time there.

From there, I would drive through about 500 miles of hot dry country to get to the mountains east of Cedar City, UT. There you have Cedar Breaks National Monument at over 10k feet and Panguitch Lake at about 8000', with many sights like Zion and Bryce Canyon nearby. Also it is not far to the north rim of Grand Canyon, which is also 8000'. The park CG is usually booked, they say, but there's boondocking on NF land just outside the park boundary (some folks drive the forest roads east and then SE until they hit the Canyon rim itself, and camp there!) as well as a NF CG at Jacob Lake.

From there, a day's drive through more hot desert would get me to northern New Mexico. I would take US 64 into the San Juans. One time I boondocked along a forest road just a hundred yards off the highway, at 9000' elevation; east past Tierra Amarilla the highway climbs to a high pass and then begins to go back down, and about 2 miles later the forest road headed north. But that wasn't the only one; there were other dirt roads here and there as well. Very quiet and peaceful with little highway noise. The view of the valley coming down into Tres Piedras was fantastically green and beautiful. Another place I've stayed at is Hyde State Park just east of Santa Fe; you climb sharply out of town to over 8000' and there's both the state park and a national forest campground up there. A short hiking trail climbs from the campground to the top of a ridge, where one can look down upon Santa Fe far below.

Unfortunately, once past NM there are no mountains to speak of from there to TN. But one area worth camping at is central Arkansas, at either Mount Magazine SP or Petit Jean SP. I've been to the latter 3 times and it is one of my favorites. High overlooks (drive or hike), a couple of waterfalls, interesting rock formations at Bear Cave and the Turtle Rocks, and plenty of nice trails. These parks are only a few hundred feet higher than the surrounding area, but every little bit helps at night.

As for reservations, I rarely make any because I want maximum flexibility. I always have a couple of nearby backup places figured out in case my first choice is full. But some people find reservations comforting. You could always call a place 1 or 2 days before you'll be there and book a site, and still retain a lot of flexibility in your trip. I don't even know how some folks book out and reserve their whole trip... and then they have no choice but to race to the next destination even when when they hit bad weather or they find some area they wish they had more time for.

Are you going to hit Yosemite? I was there last year. That place books up 6 months in advance! But I can tell you how to get a campsite in the park on the spur of the moment.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 07:40 AM   #12

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Yes, the interior is eye-catching. It looks very comfy and welcoming.

The I-80 corridor should be reasonably cool at night. I-40 could be blistering hot in many locales, though. I like to use a website like wunderground.com or weather.com to plug in cities along my route and see what their forecasts and the typical highs/lows are for the time period. I think about how far I intend to travel (roughly) each day and then I locate a few possible campgrounds in each of those areas. If it's likely to be uncomfortably hot I map out the CGs in the higher elevations wherever possible.

For example, on the route back you could spend a night around Mammoth Lakes, where there are many campgrounds but also tons of boondock sites under the trees on national forest land. I spent 2 nights boondocking at Sagehen Meadow, a bit east of Mono Lake and just 2 miles off the main highway, yet I saw not another soul the whole time there.

From there, I would drive through about 500 miles of hot dry country to get to the mountains east of Cedar City, UT. There you have Cedar Breaks National Monument at over 10k feet and Panguitch Lake at about 8000', with many sights like Zion and Bryce Canyon nearby. Also it is not far to the north rim of Grand Canyon, which is also 8000'. The park CG is usually booked, they say, but there's boondocking on NF land just outside the park boundary (some folks drive the forest roads east and then SE until they hit the Canyon rim itself, and camp there!) as well as a NF CG at Jacob Lake.

From there, a day's drive through more hot desert would get me to northern New Mexico. I would take US 64 into the San Juans. One time I boondocked along a forest road just a hundred yards off the highway, at 9000' elevation; east past Tierra Amarilla the highway climbs to a high pass and then begins to go back down, and about 2 miles later the forest road headed north. But that wasn't the only one; there were other dirt roads here and there as well. Very quiet and peaceful with little highway noise. The view of the valley coming down into Tres Piedras was fantastically green and beautiful. Another place I've stayed at is Hyde State Park just east of Santa Fe; you climb sharply out of town to over 8000' and there's both the state park and a national forest campground up there. A short hiking trail climbs from the campground to the top of a ridge, where one can look down upon Santa Fe far below.

Unfortunately, once past NM there are no mountains to speak of from there to TN. But one area worth camping at is central Arkansas, at either Mount Magazine SP or Petit Jean SP. I've been to the latter 3 times and it is one of my favorites. High overlooks (drive or hike), a couple of waterfalls, interesting rock formations at Bear Cave and the Turtle Rocks, and plenty of nice trails. These parks are only a few hundred feet higher than the surrounding area, but every little bit helps at night.

As for reservations, I rarely make any because I want maximum flexibility. I always have a couple of nearby backup places figured out in case my first choice is full. But some people find reservations comforting. You could always call a place 1 or 2 days before you'll be there and book a site, and still retain a lot of flexibility in your trip. I don't even know how some folks book out and reserve their whole trip... and then they have no choice but to race to the next destination even when when they hit bad weather or they find some area they wish they had more time for.

Are you going to hit Yosemite? I was there last year. That place books up 6 months in advance! But I can tell you how to get a campsite in the park on the spur of the moment.
Mike,
I'm embarrassed that I just saw this post. Great information and I have cut and pasted it into another file which I use reference. I hope you are well and thank you again for taking your time to share this info.
Old 10-03-2016, 10:26 AM   #13

Name: Cory
Trailer: Burro
Tennessee
Super Nice Camper

I am green with envy with how nice your camper is and your trip. Have fun.
Scoboatn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 10:23 AM   #14

Name: E.
Trailer: Burro
Minnesota
Fellow vintage Burro owner

I just bought a small '82 Burro a couple of months ago and am loving camping in it so far! We haven't done a lot of work on the interior yet, mainly working for now on patching up little cracks on the outside, fixing a window, cleaning up the exterior and working towards putting on some new decals!

If you have resources and recommendations to share for fixing up a little Burro please do send them my way! Here is a photo of our baby - the previous owner started removing the "Burro" lettering which is why is says "Urro" and I want to replace the decals...

Safe travels,
Emily
Ewelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burro