How tall is Bigfoot? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2018, 01:41 PM   #1

Name: juan
Trailer: Bigfoot
Texas
How tall is Bigfoot?

Would someone please let me know what the height, at the highest point (with AC), of a 25B25RQ is? I am planning on building/buying a carport type cover soon and this information would be appreciated so that I can start and hopefully finish the project before the trailer arrives. Thanks. juan
pachewheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 02:30 PM   #2

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
It would be best to measure the trailer after you get it. Spring strength, tire size and axle design will effect overall height. Then, allow some extra when building your structure.

I know someone who had a boathouse for his boat (like a garage for his boat) and he had it built several years after buying the boat. Years later he sold the boat and boathouse together, and removed all of his personal possessions from the boat. With all the toys, games, clothes, beverages etc. removed, the boat floated 4" higher and would not fit in the house.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 02:54 PM   #3

Texas
Jack, this kind of crossed my mind, but figured they'd all be close enough, with a few feet extra over the top on my part.Thanks for responding and sharing the story. juan
Old 01-31-2018, 02:58 PM   #4

Name: Roy
Texas
Registry
Hi Juan. Email Grant Bilodeux at (bigfoot@bigfootrv.com). He is the head guy there and he can give you the exact specs. I had a 18'x30' concrete pad poured for my 25RQ and I put one of those metal carport type coverings over it and it has worked fine for me. The peak in the middle is 12' high. It gives me plenty of clearance.
Roy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 03:02 PM   #5

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Just realize a lot of carports have side wall braces near the top, as you can see in the picture in my other thread. Thats my lowest point.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 03:37 PM   #6

Texas
Registry
Juan here is a few pics of my carport.
Attached Thumbnails
Bigfoot carport.jpg   Bigfoot home.jpg  

Old 02-02-2018, 08:43 AM   #7

Name: Chester
Washington
Roy M, I like your Bigfoot cover. I'm planning on doing the same. How wide is your metal carport? What is the height dimension to the angle braces? And who is the manufacturer? Thanks for posting the pics.
chetandren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 08:47 AM   #8

Registry
Roy's carport is a horizontal roof style. Panels run horizontally. Its the cheapest option.

I paid extra to get a vertical roof. The advantage is the roof panels run vertically, so you don't have seams running horizontally across the roof. Less chance of leaks. And the vertical design comes with a bit of an overhang. And the horizontal panels tend to hold snow more, doubt that would be an issue in TX but its a bit of an issue here.

Now I was ready to go with a horizontal roof, its just a cover for the camper, but my wife vetoed that plan.

Now on cost, in my area, the concrete will cost a lot more than the carport. So I went gravel. But right next to it I have a garage, which is really just an enclosed carport (same company). I got a concrete floor in that space.
Old 02-02-2018, 10:18 AM   #9

Texas
Registry
Chet the carport is 18 feet wide which gives me plenty of extra room for storage. The side legs are ten feet high up to the angle braces with a 12 feet peak in the middle. Bill is absolutely right on the construction. I had the option of going with the more expensive roof but in our part of Texas we don't get much of the white stuff! This particular set up has withstood 50-60 mph winds with no leaks.(but then again, we don't get much of the wet stuff either!!). My unit was built by a company called Eagle Carports out of North Carolina but they sub-contract out to installers in the region that you reside in. There are numerous companies out there that do this type of work. At first I just had them to put a roof on with partial 4' siding , but our area is notorious for rogue hail storms so I called them back to complete the sides and put a back on it which has given me much more peace of mind!
Old 02-02-2018, 10:39 AM   #10

Name: Chester
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M. View Post
Chet the carport is 18 feet wide which gives me plenty of extra room for storage. The side legs are ten feet high up to the angle braces with a 12 feet peak in the middle.
I initially was planning on a 12 foot wide carport, but after viewing your photo I believe 18 feet would be much better. I appreciate the information, thanks Roy.
chetandren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 01:15 PM   #11

Registry
+10 I went with an 18 wide as well. Unless you have a pull through parking, or great backing approach, backing a trailer into a 12 foot slot is challenging. We did have a 12 foot wide carport for our Casita, but we had a better approach to that spot than our current carport. There is no "prize" for expert backing. Just think of that extra six feet as just 3 feet per side.
Old 02-02-2018, 01:29 PM   #12

Texas
Registry
Bill, regarding the backing, great minds think alike!! That extra 6 feet of width is really nice. It was money well spent!
Old 02-02-2018, 02:51 PM   #13

Registry
I wanted to enclose the back wall on mine but in my goofy town, three walls makes it a garage and s garage would trigger concrete and size limits. So I prioritized the side walls instead.
Old 02-02-2018, 05:22 PM   #14

Texas
Registry
We live outside of the city limits so no zoning issues. Otherwise I would be in the same boat as you!😁
Old 02-02-2018, 05:28 PM   #15

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Extra width gives you more room to work on the trailer. I did some exterior work on my Scamp under one of those 10x20 fabric carports (just to work on, not long-term storage). Length was fine, but even though the Scamp is only 6'8" wide, there wasn't enough room for a ladder along both sides. I ended up moving the trailer with a dolly to make more room on one side, then moved it again to work on the other side. A little extra height is nice if you need to work on the roof.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 02:38 PM   #16

Texas
Hello Roy, thanks for the input. That's a real nice setup you have there. Wanted you to know that Melinda, my wife, and I met with Bob and Mary Hamm out in Choke Canyon, by San Antonio. We eventually ordered a trailer similar to theirs, so, we are grateful that you led us in their direction.
Old 02-07-2018, 02:41 PM   #17

Texas
Bill, thanks, once again for your valuable information. I was not aware of the side wall braces. I have looked into the Carolina Carport. Seriously thinking of one, take care.
Old 02-07-2018, 02:55 PM   #18

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Extra width gives you more room to work on the trailer. I did some exterior work on my Scamp under one of those 10x20 fabric carports (just to work on, not long-term storage). Length was fine, but even though the Scamp is only 6'8" wide, there wasn't enough room for a ladder along both sides. I ended up moving the trailer with a dolly to make more room on one side, then moved it again to work on the other side. A little extra height is nice if you need to work on the roof.
Thanks Jon, initially I was thinking of a semi tight area, for the sake of saving yard space. After reading everyone's input, I will go with a higher and wider cover. Already started downing some trees and clearing space. Lots of planning and everyone seems to have different ideas, here at home, as to where we should park it and what style the cover should be...and, I am also being told to wait until the trailer gets here before starting the actual construction. All good advice.
Old 02-07-2018, 05:01 PM   #19

Registry
Options I went with were the heavier gauge steel (not much more) and the vertical roof. On my other carport, I paid extra to get it insulated. The main advantage of insulation is it is less likely to sweat. Since my carport is open on both ends, and open on the lower four feet of the side walls, I didn't get it insulated. My other carport is wedged between two garages, and has a third wall enclosed as well. So very little air flow.
Old 02-07-2018, 07:35 PM   #20

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Options I went with were the heavier gauge steel (not much more) and the vertical roof. On my other carport, I paid extra to get it insulated. The main advantage of insulation is it is less likely to sweat. Since my carport is open on both ends, and open on the lower four feet of the side walls, I didn't get it insulated. My other carport is wedged between two garages, and has a third wall enclosed as well. So very little air flow.
Thanks Bill. We live in South Texas and will have both ends open also, with a gable on the south side, so, no insulation. There is always so much moisture here, from the Gulf, that the vertical roof only makes sense for easier drainage and hopefully less early rust.

Tags
bigfoot