PVC Trim for Trillium Window Replacement - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2019, 01:47 PM   #1

Name: Brian
Trailer: 1980 Trillium 1300
Ontario
PVC Trim for Trillium Window Replacement

Hi everybody. I am just about to put new replacement pieces for the backing behind my windows in my Trillium. I was pretty set on using the PVC trim, but recently read that it might not be the best for screwing into. I've already got some of the pieces cut. I am curious if anyone has already done this and how they found the material to screw into. Did it hold the screws well or did it seem to strip out easily. THanks.
Brian
b_houf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 01:35 PM   #2

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
PVC isn't particularly great for holding screws depending on its thickness. It works well to "cap" another material like wood which is a better substrate for holding screws. Screws through PVC into another substrate work well.

I don't know the particulars of your application. When I use PVC I secure it with an adhesive compatible with the PVC and the substrate I'm securing it too.
Not all PVC is resistant to UV light. If your application will be exposed to sunlight make sure you use the PVC that is.
Good luck with your project!
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 09:19 PM   #3

Name: Chris
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
Brian..

If your Trillium has the same windows as mine and you are talking about the black pvc trim that covers the screws that hold the window frame in place, then what you need to know is that the black pvc trim is designed to "click" into the aluminum trim and no adhesive is necessary to secure it..

Hope this info helps..
Old 01-23-2019, 09:40 PM   #4

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
I believe Brian is talking about replacing the wood frame around the inside of each window with cellular pvc therefore not having to worry about rot in the future. I've had the same thought. I imagine it would work just fine. Let us know how it works out Brian!
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 05:27 AM   #5

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
Just about the screwing into the PVC, First I would pre-drill a hole the size of the shank of the screw, then I would think if you used a course thread screw and do not over tighten and if it were me, I would dip the screw in some PVC glue before screwing into the hole. Again "Do not over tighten"
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 08:15 AM   #6

Name: Duane
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
New Brunswick
PVC Trim for Trillium Window replacement

I considered using some composite decking planks for my inside window frame replacement during my renovations on my Trillium . I just used marine plywood due to the added cost of the plastic planks vs wood. The originals lasted from 1976 til 2013. I did seal the pieces with an epoxy paint before installation to help waterproof them. I feel the decking planks would hold screws very well as it's quite dense and would require a pilot hole as well for the screws. If you are referring to the outside trim it just snaps in place over the screws in a channel on the frames. I painted mine black and reused them. I believe I saw some for sale on a parts site on here . Good Luck , Duane
getaway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 09:41 AM   #7

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Similar to Duane, the original wood on mine lasted 41 years. OK, three pieces didn’t make it but the rest did. This was with zero maintenance and no sign of the windows ever being resealed.

I figure the wood should last indefinitely with some maintenance, say windows resealed every five to ten years. So I went back with plywood.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 10:56 AM   #8

Name: Brian
Trailer: 1980 Trillium 1300
Ontario
Thanks again everyone for your responses. I am indeed talking about the wood that goes on the inside of the window behind the ensolite. I actually contacted the company that supplies their PVC product to HD and the woman was somewhat helpful. She explained that, as long as I use an appropriate size of screw like a #8, it should be fine. I'm going to try, since I've already got the product and cut some of it up. As long as I can get it to grab and squeeze out butyl tape, I'll be satisfied.

I'll report back with my experience so that others can get a sense of how well it works.
b_houf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 11:06 AM   #9

Michigan
Registry
You could also try using SS machine screws with nylock nuts, and drill a recess or pocket into the PVC so that the nut and screw don't poke into the ensolite. Or better yet, use t-nuts (EDIT: place t-nuts directly behind the ensolite).
Old 01-24-2019, 11:54 AM   #10

Michigan
Registry
You could also use threaded inserts. That's what I used behind the door hinges.

Tags
trillium