Minor Egg Camper mod...no photo - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2011, 05:42 PM   #1

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Minor Egg Camper mod...no photo

After travelling over 2000 miles to and around Montana, I got tired of our clothing boxes (both smooth plastic) sliding up to the toilet/shower. I bought a shower curtain compression rod, put a closet pole bracket on the wood storage doors opposite each other and put the rod in them. The rod alone didn't always work hence the pole brackets. Installation about two minutes if I don't count the time spent buying the rod, buying the brackets, and getting my tool box out. First long trip with the Egg Camper and we love it.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 04:53 AM   #2

Trailer: Eggcamper 17 ft Electric
Registry
Please sir, can we have a photo?

I have an expansion rod that I use to keep my under-bed modification in place when we travel, but it doesn't always hold. I'd love to see the bracket mod.

Here's my mod. Each drawer rolls out on wheels (from Rockler) and is set up to hold 2 plastic tubs. The latch handles at the top aren't sufficient to hold the weight of the drawers over bumpy roads.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
Under_Bed_Open.JPG   Under_Bed.JPG  

Ron F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 05:44 AM   #3

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We have made similar modifications to most of our trailers, slide out drawers under the bed capable of holding plastic bins.

To keep the drawers locked we use locking slides similar to those used for most motorhome drawers. These drawer slides require to the drawers to be lifted about a 1/4 inch before they will roll.

Norm

Norm
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 03:07 PM   #4

Trailer: Boler 1984
I see a carpet seam just in front of the drawer faces. How about a piece of seam moulding that the drawers would have to be lifted over to pull out?
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 03:29 PM   #5

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
O rings

Quote:
Originally Posted by james kent View Post
I see a carpet seam just in front of the drawer faces. How about a piece of seam moulding that the drawers would have to be lifted over to pull out?
One approach we used on a fridge not meant for travel was to mount an eye hook on a frame above the fridge door and a screw in the door below it. Between them we had a two inch rubber o-ring (available at must stores in the plumbing section).

You may be able to just wrap it around your latch.

Norm
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:30 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrugg View Post
After travelling over 2000 miles to and around Montana, I got tired of our clothing boxes (both smooth plastic) sliding up to the toilet/shower. I bought a shower curtain compression rod, put a closet pole bracket on the wood storage doors opposite each other and put the rod in them. The rod alone didn't always work hence the pole brackets. Installation about two minutes if I don't count the time spent buying the rod, buying the brackets, and getting my tool box out. First long trip with the Egg Camper and we love it.
Would this work? Often on sale for under $10. I find one of these very valuable for use in my pickup truck. I don't see why it wouldn't work in your EggCamper. Cargo Holding Bar
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 02:22 PM   #7

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I think the above item is too long, I tried to use the one I have, but you can make your own. I bought a plastic closet kit @ HD, 2 sticky plastic ends one open and one closed and cut a wooden closet rod to fit, slip one end the closed and it drops in the other end.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 08:08 PM   #8

Michigan
My guess also is that it would be two long. Actual distance where I have it is just a tad over 36 inches. The curtain tension rod that I used is less than that and extends far more than I need. Works great and cost under $7.00 at Walmart.
Old 09-22-2012, 12:04 PM   #9

Name: Judy
Trailer: eggcamper
South Dakota
Registry
simple solution to boxes sliding forward - chocks

We have an EggCamper, and store some plastic rolling drawers and a big plastic box under the bed, all of which would love to slide forward when we come to a stop. We have 2 yellow chocks which we put by the wheels to keep the egg stable when in a campground. The perfect storage place for them when we're on the move is shoved under the box and the forward set of drawers which keeps them happily in place.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0327.jpg  
Judy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:06 AM   #10

Michigan
Judy, I love that idea. My tension rod worked very well but it won't hold at the length I need any more. Holds fine in lengths that are too long for the space.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:29 AM   #11

Name: Bonnie and Claude
Trailer: N/A
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judy K View Post
...We have 2 yellow chocks... The perfect storage place for them when we're on the move is shoved under the box and the forward set of drawers which keeps them happily in place.
Sounds like a great idea. I tried the tension (shower curtain) bar but was afraid to make it too tight and damage the paint so it fell down in transit. Was thinking of putting a piece of rubber matting under the bins but we already have the wheel chocks.
Bonnie n Claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:45 AM   #12

Trailer: Eggcamper 17 ft Electric
Registry
Although the photos above don't show it, here's how I hold things together on the road:
I didn't use a "spring-loaded" shower curtain rod. Instead, I used a rod that is lengthened by twisting the two sections to the correct length ( Amazon.com: Carnation Home Fashions Adjustable 41-to-76-Inch Steel Shower Curtain Tension Rod, White: Home & Kitchen ). I attached closet pole sockets ( ULTRA 69000 Hi-Im. ABS Plastic Closet Pole Socket, 1 Pair ) to the sides. The sockets keep the pole in place when travelling. It it holds things in very well.
Ron F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:52 AM   #13

Name: Bonnie and Claude
Trailer: N/A
Ontario
Registry
Thanks, Ron. I'll check locally for those closet pole sockets.
Bonnie n Claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:04 AM   #14

Michigan
I use the closet pole sockets with the tension. The sockets I have are attached with one screw through the center of the socket. They rotate part of the time and when the one with the opening turns, the rod drops out. Probably be a good idea to anchor the one having the opening with a second screw. Otherwise, the idea works very well.

Tags
eggcamper