A/C in 77 13 Trillium - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2016, 09:49 AM   #1

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Trillium
South Carolina
Cool A/C in 77 13 Trillium

Has anyone put a 500 window a/c unit in place of the heater? Frigidare
has a unit that would fit the space. Concern was circulation. There is a nice grid already in place. We live in the south and have to have air to use the camper. We can heat fine with with a portable ceramic heater and we always have electricity.
Dennis77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 08:23 AM   #2

Name: Jeff short for Jennifer
Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1977
North Carolina
AC in '77 Scamp

Our Scamp came with a window unit installed rear mounted at floor level under the table/bed. No problem with circulation, no loss of storage, very stable and seems a simple install.

Hope you also have a Fantastic Fan.
Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 08:47 AM   #3

Name: William
Texas
I'm also interested in this question. We just bought a '73 Trillium and would love to add A/C. Ours didn't come with a furnace, but the cabinet where the furnace would normally go seems like a perfect spot. I'm wondering how drainage is usually handled with that kind of install, though.
William Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 06:41 PM   #4

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
If your trailer is a 4500 the furnace would have gone on the curb side, and if a 1300, then it would have gone on the driver side. Either way, all you have to do is drill a hole, large enough for the drain tube, out the bottom of the trailer, just in front of the wheel well, (4500) or just behind the wheel well, (1300).
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 02:33 PM   #5

Name: William
Texas
Dennis,

What model Frigidaire did you end up using? My '73 1300 didn't come with a heater, but the empty space is still there, and I'd love to find a unit that fits it.

-William
William Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 08:13 AM   #6

Name: Bill
Baltimore, MD
An A/C unit won't fit where the heater is in a 4500!!! I have run all the measurements. The smallest window A/C will stick out 6+ inches into the living space due to the wheel well not allowing the unit to push back into the cavity. Course then the biggest problem is trying to work out all the venting and draining issues.
billiam1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 08:35 PM   #7

Name: Kelly
Trailer: '75 Trillium 1300
Arizona
Dennis, I'd love to know how the install went as my husband has been super interested after we talked to your wife. ☺️

William, This is the model he purchased. The dimensions are a little different from my furnace that was in, but after making a mount around the AC unit, I should be able to make it fit.
Frigidaire FFRA0511R1 5, 000 BTU 115V Window-Mounted Mini-Compact Air Conditioner with Mechanical Controls https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W2KG92Y..._cCkAxb55RAX6T
Kelly H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 09:02 PM   #8

Name: Anne-Marie
Trailer: 1977 Trillium 1300
Ontario
I don't know the details of the installation, but tonight I heard someone speak of using a doghouse air conditioner in their 10' Boler. I didn't know such a thing existed but there it is...

http://http://www.climaterightair.co...nd-heater.html
Attached Images

Anne-Marie L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 07:56 AM   #9

Name: Caitlin
Trailer: 1974 Trillium Trailer
Rhode Island
AC in furnace space?

Hello!
Im in the same spot with my 1974 1300 Trillium Trailer... hoping to install ac in the space left by the furnace I recently removed. It's a tight space but Im willing to cut it larger and I don't think Ill mind overhang. Anyone who has done this, how did the install go? How do you drain and vent? There is a cut out in the outer wall where the furnace "chimney" was but it is many inches beyond where the ac's back would be. It's probably going to get HOT soon here in RI! Ive ordered a Fantastic Fan, which Ill install this week but that won't cover the crazy hot days. Thank you for any input!
cjoypritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 12:31 PM   #10

Name: Dennis
South Carolina
The unit that we purchased is self draining the new ones do not have drainage plugs.
However the unit produced too much heat in the cavity and the compressor turned off,
To solve we are going install a radiator fan on the inside of the cavity,venting hot air out. We experimented with a 900 CFM far and it solved the problem. It was 92 degrees outside the campers and the A/C brought it down to 78 degrees inside. We are going to install a fantastic fan which we do not have at this time.
Dennis77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium