New Scamps first camp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2016, 06:04 PM   #1

Trailer: Two 13 ft Scamps
Registry
Smile New Scamps first camp

Took the new Scamp out for her first camping trip this past weekend and all went pretty well. We went to "Cathedral Pines" just 20 miles from the Canadian border. Beautiful.

I didn't have any serious mishaps, didn't jacknife myself into anywhere I couldn't get out of, did learn a lesson... don't put your 2X6 leveling blocks in the back of the Jeep because you can't open the door to get them out without disconnecting camper then you have to reconnect camper after putting block where it needs to go...

Learned that my enormous dog will indeed fit on the very small floor area of the big bed model and get a good nights sleep and learned that I will not get a good nights sleep on the cushions provided. .

After about two hours of restless sleeping I knew that the bed was just not going to work for me.... today I set out to rectify. Pic one is the cushions that come with the camper, I had them and just a mattress pad and sheets and a comforter on ..... now... pic two is the 4 inch memory foam mattress topper I added... pic three is the best Cannon quilted mattress pad KMart had... pic four is sheets of the right size (full, not queen, there was some speculation on that) and pic five is my pirate comforter back in place so now I have a bed fit for the captain of er ship! Can't wait to go camping again!
Attached Thumbnails
bed 1.jpg   bed 2.jpg  

bed 3.jpg   bed 4.jpg  

bed 5.jpg  
jaye580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 06:28 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I'd say your first trip is a success!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 06:42 PM   #3

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
I also learned not to put anything i need first in the back of my rav, it now goes in the trailer near the door, but back from the bathroom door. That is in case i have to pull over for another type of emergency, don`t ask. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 06:50 PM   #4

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaye580 View Post
.... did learn a lesson... don't put your 2X6 leveling blocks in the back of the Jeep because you can't open the door to get them out without disconnecting camper then you have to reconnect camper after putting block where it needs to go.
Same problem here.. the Ultimate Jack solved it for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaye580 View Post
After about two hours of restless sleeping I knew that the bed was just not going to work for me.... today I set out to rectify. ...
Pretty much everyone seems to agree, and having Scamps before as you have, I am sure you were not surprised.. the foam is good for sitting on but not so much for sleeping on.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 02:02 PM   #5

Trailer: Two 13 ft Scamps
Registry
Well the 84 didn't come with any cushions so I made them myself to my liking, the 78 I don't remember having problems with but I am a lot older now and more cantankerous!
jaye580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 10:39 AM   #6

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Having just returned from a month in Southern Africa and 19 days on a tent camping (not glamping) safari I'm delighted to see your Safari Themed '78 trailer! You've given me some ideas that I can use, including my own anaconda!

I'm glad to see you found a comfortable mod for your bedding!
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 01:00 PM   #7

Name: Ann
Trailer: 2016 Scamp 13'
Washington
I can't open the back door of the RAV when the Scamp is being towed, so I now carry the jack handle and lug nut wrench under the driver's seat, JUST IN CASE! These used to be in a small cubby hole in the back.

Glad you're having a great time, and a new bed, too!
Triker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 01:37 PM   #8

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker View Post
I can't open the back door of the RAV when the Scamp is being towed, ..
Same issue with my Sienna Van.. this fixed that problem for me:
The Ultimate Jack | A-Frame Trailer Jack at its FInest!
Old 05-30-2016, 02:14 PM   #9

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
Ultimate Jack

I wonder why trailer manufacturers do not offer Ultimate Jack as an option. It's a must have thing.
Old 05-30-2016, 02:44 PM   #10

Name: Ann
Trailer: 2016 Scamp 13'
Washington
The Ultimate Jack wouldn't help me, the back door won't go over the hitch ball! I have a 3/4" rise on the draw bar. Also have to remove the spare tire hard cover.
Triker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 03:07 PM   #11

North Carolina
Quote:
The Ultimate Jack wouldn't help me, the back door won't go over the hitch ball! I have a 3/4" rise on the draw bar. Also have to remove the spare tire hard cover.
Oh well, I tried.. by the way, I have an 8 inch rise.. but my hitch receiver is under the bumper. Sounds liker only a hitch extension will allow you to open the back door, but I would not do that.. instead I would have to just live with it.
Old 05-30-2016, 04:13 PM   #12

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
I agree with Gordon on a longer bar. If you only needed an inch or so more room you could get a longer one and cut it to the length you need.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 06:02 PM   #13

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
I agree with Gordon on a longer bar. If you only needed an inch or so more room you could get a longer one and cut it to the length you need.
You agree with me when I say I would not use a longer bar and instead live with the door not opening? Ball closer to tug is better for handling so thats what I would do. I put up with the rear door not opening when the trailer was hitched for a while. Its workable.
Old 05-30-2016, 09:32 PM   #14

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
You agree with me when I say I would not use a longer bar and instead live with the door not opening? Ball closer to tug is better for handling so thats what I would do. I put up with the rear door not opening when the trailer was hitched for a while. It's workable.
Yes, I only agreed with you that a longer bar would fix that. I only pointed out an easy fix if he only needed an inch or so for clearance. After having to go to a 12" longer bar with another RV combo with no handling problems I doubt 1 or 2 inches on a properly loaded TT will make any ill handling issues. What's workable for one may not be for others. As always, YMMV.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp