Info on Banff - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2015, 09:13 AM   #1
Sid

Name: Sid
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Wisconsin
Info on Banff

Hello all,
While Vic and I are desperately trying to get one last trip in for 2015 we are looking forward to our 2016 travel season. For our big trip of the year we are thinking Banff National Park might be a premier destination. Neither of us have been there but based on recommendations from friends and acquaintances it appears to be a must do!
Any recommendations for must see and must do would be greatly appreciated. Campsites, timelines, and routes are all things we will be researching over the winter months.
Thanks in advance!
Sid
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 10:19 AM   #2

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Johnston Canyon, a nice day walk:
Johnston Canyon | 30 Minutes from Banff • Banff.com
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 10:51 AM   #3

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
We loved Banff when we went, pre-trailer, many years ago. Be sure to see Lake Louise. There is an easy hike beside it but canoeing and kayaking on it looked fun too! Banff Lake Louise- Official Site | Banff Canoeing & Kayaking, Summer activities & adventures- Alberta, Canada Check out the Fairmont Chateau on the Lake.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 11:17 AM   #4

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Banff is Beautiful, but, right up the road, less crowded, even more stunning (IMHO anyway) and not to miss, is Jasper National Park and the Ice Field Hiway you take to Jasper, and you can take a tour on the Colombia Glacier (still I think).

Lake Louise, although beautiful, seems a bit crowded and touristy, but worth a visit.

And a little to the west is Emerald Lake and Rogers Pass, both are magnificent.

And... if Sheldon is a popular name at your house, there is the double spiral rail tunnels to see. eh

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 12:30 PM   #5

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette
We loved Banff. Went to the ice fields, Lake Louise, Johnston Canyon, and more. My only suggestion is to carefully research your camping destinations. Trains pass through that area every night all night. Some cabins and campgrounds were literally right beside the tracks. For peaceful nights, end your day at least a couple of miles away.
Darnelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 12:09 AM   #6

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1982 16 ft
Registry
Banff does become a bit of a zoo in the summer months. Over the years, it has become a wealthy tourists destination with some amazing shops on the main drag. The Whyte Museum of the Rockies is worthwhile.

Campground reservations are a must.

If you golf, the course at the Banff Springs Hotel is special, but book well in advance.

On your way there or back, check out Riding Mountain National Park in Manitoba and Cypress Hills Provincial Park in Alberta.

On the BC side of Banff National Park is Yoho National Park with the beautiful Emerald Lake.

The Bow Valley Parkway (Highway 1A) and the Icefields Parkway (Highway 93) deserve consideration. Peyto Lake, the Columbia Icefields, Maligne Lake and Maligne Canyon.
Victor Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 07:32 AM   #7

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
skip though Banff and Lake Louise and head for Jasper, way less tourists and a much more relaxed atmosphere. The plus is the drive up through the Columbia Icefeilds! We go a few times a year (live in Edmonton). This time of year is nice but you have to be prepared for the weather to turn on you.
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 07:48 AM   #8

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
Also if you are coming up through Montana at Coutts /Sweetgrass crossing then you should check out a gem in southern Alberta "Writing on Stone Provincial Park" just east of Milk River, Alberta. Just be sure to book a site as it fills up fast. You will be camping in the Milk River valley surrounded by Hoodoos. Head Smashed In Buffalo Jump is also worth the trip.
Picture of Writing on Stone
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 08:20 AM   #9

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I agree with Bob, while Banff are is absolutely gorgeous, with lots to do, I would highly recommend taking the Icefields Parkway to Jasper. This drive is one of the most stunning roads you will ever travel on, and Jasper offers lots of great beauty too, with lots to see and do.

As far as the townsites go, I much prefer Jasper to Banff, as it is way less crowded, though still very busy during the summer months. I would recommend skipping July and August if that would work for you.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 09:24 AM   #10

Name: John
Trailer: Scamp
Michigan
Postman

I found Kicking Horse Campground to be a beautiful place to stay in--and close to many other features. Don't miss Peyto Lake at Bow Pass! The Spiral Tunnels train loops are fascinating!
Postman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 02:48 PM   #11

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Cool Our Experience

We loved The West Edmonton Mall:

West Edmonton Mall - Website

The Fort Edmonton Historic Park:

About Alberta

The Reynolds Alberta Museum in Wetaskiwin is fabulous:

Reynolds-Alberta Museum

Wiki Alberta Museums for a list of many more.

If you're interested in dinosaurs,

Tourism | Dinosaurvalley.com

Many fossils are found in Alberta.

There is also Head Smashed In Buffalo Jump.

Head-Smashed-In Buffalo Jump World Heritage Site

You could spend all summer in Alberta and not see it all.

PS. We don't live in Alberta, nor are we spokespersons for them.

Lake Louise is overrated. We liked nearby Moraine Lake better and it is even on their currency.

Have fun!

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 04:35 PM   #12

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Yep, Alberta has a lot to offer. One year Judy and I dove our Volvo 122 wagon, first to Calagry for stampede week and then north, past Edmonton, until the then dirt road ended at Yellowknife, on Great Slave Lake. A few mosquitos way up that way though.

And I always that most of the Dinosaurs went to Branson, Mo to die LOL

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 06:27 AM   #13
Sid

Name: Sid
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Wisconsin
I love this site!
Thanks everyone for the recomendations and advise. Vic and I have a bit of research to do and decisions to make but I know we are now pointed in the right direction.
Sid
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 11:42 AM   #14

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
My wife thought that Lake Louise was the most "picturesque" place she has ever seen, and I have to agree with her. However, I think that Moraine Lake, just a very few miles away, is even more spectacular - if not quite so perfectly picturesque.

We visited Lake Louise last year on June 8, toward evening, and pretty well had the place to ourselves; two days later we visited during mid-day, and the place was crowded with visitors. And yes, the Icefields Parkway is a spectacular trip.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parkliner