5th Wheel Scamp - Honda Ridgeline - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2011, 12:47 PM   #21

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
The Sport Trac is built on a frame and so would offer no more engineering than a pick-up truck. It's under floor storage is smaller and forward by the front of the box. The fenders are fiberglass but I am fairly certain the inside of the box is steel[ not that that would make any difference since it does "Sport" a frame.
If I were to buy a 5er, the Sport Trac would be my first choice, although they don't build them anymore since they redesigned Explorer [Now Unibody] I would have to go back to pre 2006 anyway in order to find a manual trans.
Floyd, I was kinda joking but that is good info for someone that may be interested in the Sport Trac. I used to haul the Explorer frames to the Louisville Ky assembly plant and those frames were pretty light duty, I've seen them dropped at a very low altitude from the forklift and they would junk that frame.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 12:52 PM   #22

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt in SV View Post
Who says you can't have a 5th Wheel Ridgeline?

His cargo hatch is bigger than my trailer!

Now, seriously, I wonder if this is bogus?:

Honda Ridgeline Fifth Wheel Hitch - JCWhitney

The JC Whitney catalog list is nothing more than a Bogus computer glitch or misconception... there is no hitch in that list which would fit.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 01:21 PM   #23

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
Floyd, I was kinda joking but that is good info for someone that may be interested in the Sport Trac. I used to haul the Explorer frames to the Louisville Ky assembly plant and those frames were pretty light duty, I've seen them dropped at a very low altitude from the forklift and they would junk that frame.
My point was that the sporttrac has a frame which offers attachment points,The Ranger and later the Explorer frame is as strong as any light truck frame which would suffer the same fate if dropped before installation.
The Ridgeline has a huge tow capacity with a factory hitch,and full sized chevy vans were unibody for many years so that is not the issue.
The Pilot "trunk" in the ridgeline would make the 5er hitch a bit of a challenge.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 06:10 AM   #24

Name: Jim
Trailer: Aliner; future egger
Minnesota
The Honda Ridgeline owner's forum has a page where someone mounted a 5th wheel hitch to his Ridgeline, along with photos. I have not done this, just passing the info on:
Fifth Wheel Towing - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
MN Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 11:57 AM   #25

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
It seems that a fifth wheel would not be a good application for a Ridgeline. Trading for a suitable vehicle would be best bet. I can see a Ridgline being ideal for a 16' Scamp or 17' Casita, and in a stretch a 19' Escape. You would still have the utility of using your bed for storage of generators or coolers etc. In the Scamp you would be stuck with the tight sleeping quarters though.
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp