thinking bout trading a 13 for a 16 scamp??? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2014, 08:13 PM   #1

Name: Pete
Trailer: 17' Casita SD
Wisconsin
thinking bout trading a 13 for a 16 scamp???

Leaving tomorrow for Backus to have a new water heater installed, (making a 5 day trip out of it, I only live 8 hrs. away) have been thinking of trading up to a 16' with a wider bed. The 44" is ok in my 13' but the extra room in the 16' seems like a very attractive feature. I have a 2012 13' Scamp am even thinking about a Casita...hummmmm just don't know what to do yet...Looking forward to some N. Wi camping, weather sounds great.
yyyyyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 08:28 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Registry
Get the 54in Bed

We were just up in Backus yesterday and the 13 standard and deluxe come with 54 in beds now.

Talk to Wayne up there and tell them Bill Evans sent you. We just ordered a 13 deluxe front dinette with the 54 in bed. Delivery is set up for Dec 30th

Bill
BillE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 07:42 AM   #3

Name: Randy
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe
Minnesota
Quote:
am even thinking about a Casita
We looked at both and now own a Casita.

If your TV is capable, the 17' trailers are very nice.
Randy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 08:25 AM   #4

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Considering a Casita 17 requires considering your tow vehicle. We didn't buy one because it required a new tow vehicle.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 08:33 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by yyyyyguy View Post
...thinking of trading up to a 16' with a wider bed...
There was some discussion of this in a recent thread. It was my understanding that a 16' Scamp with the wider bed is only available in deluxe models. The 13' offers it in both standard and deluxe models. There seems to be interest (on this forum, at least) in having the wider bed in a 16' standard, but whether that would translate into actual sales from the factory is uncertain. Given the well-documented (how to put this tactfully)… um, spread of the American waistline, I suspect it's only a matter of time.

The Casita 17s are nice, but significantly heavier. I also prefer the Scamp standards for the same reason - they're lighter. I'm waiting for a Scamp 16' standard layout 4 with a 54" bed.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 10:32 AM   #6

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13 Front Washroom, Van Camper
New Brunswick
We had a Scamp 13 with washroom, now a Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe but thinking of a Scamp again

Sent from my XT1028 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Briantb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 10:50 AM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briantb View Post
We had a Scamp 13 with washroom, now a Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe but thinking of a Scamp again

Sent from my XT1028 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Curious... what is prompting you to consider a change?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 11:28 AM   #8

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Hi yyyguy,

I too have 2012 scamp 13 std and some day when the money Gods fly my way I can see that I'll be looking for a 16 deluxe. A bit more space would be greats and I live that birch cabinetry!

However, I bought used and looked for over a year till a great deal came my way that I didn't have to drive to Timbuktu to arrange. Don't know if anyone out there would trade from a 16 to a 13 but hey, you never know.

Till then love to be Scamping and happy to have what I have. I don't mind the 44" bed, slept on it several times with my daughter and the 50 pound dog and we were comfy. But then again I sleep in the sofa bunk like a baby too. It's when I come home to problems that insomnia kicks in! . Ha ha!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 11:36 AM   #9

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
We sold our 16 ft Scamp SD and purchased a new 17 ft Casita Spirit DLX mainly because of the larger bed . With me being over 6 ft tall and 250 Lbs we found the Scamp 44" bed a little cramped . The 16 ft Scamp DLX with the 54" bed is a really nice looking trailer . Also the drive to Rice texas is a lot farther than your 8 hour trip to Bachus Minnesota .We really like our Casita and have traveled about 10 K miles since our purchase last June . That being said my wife still questions whether we should have followed Jim's and Donna' s path and bought the larger Escape .The people at Escape seem to be much more willing to customize their trailer to fit your individual needs than either Scamp or Casita . We own a full size pickup truck with a V8 so weight was not an issue
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 04:24 PM   #10

Trailer: Boler 1984
Many campers get the disease called 2 foot itis. It requires you to trade in a really nice little trailer on a ready-to-renovate larger model. Just be prepared later, for the time when two-foot-itis strikes once again.
We have been in contact with this on several occasions over the past twenty years, but with great difficulty have been able to rid ourselves of this disease and keep our little Boler safely in our keep.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 07:36 PM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by james kent View Post
Many campers get the disease called 2 foot itis. It requires you to trade in a really nice little trailer on a ready-to-renovate larger model. Just be prepared later, for the time when two-foot-itis strikes once again......
yep it does happen. I'm a testament to that. However, not 2 foot itis, but 4 foot itis. But, LIFE HAPPENS. As long as you stick with an all molded towable... life will be good
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 08:00 PM   #12

Name: Adrian
Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA
Manitoba
Well Donna guess you could say we had seven foot itis, having owned a 13 ft. sticky in the 90's, our new to us trailer is a nearly 20 foot Escape 5.0 Classic.

We are hoping this will be our forever trailer, even though the new 5.0 TA looks very appealing.

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 08:45 PM   #13

Adrian, it happens. Twelve years ago I would have never thought that I would be where I am now.

As long as time.. and space, give you what you need NOW, love the one you're with. Make memories. OMG make memories, it's not about how many "feet" it's where you are right NOW and who you're with and what you're doing that's important.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:45 PM   #14

New York
Registry
Very nicely put James. I also work hard at turning off the call for more or better or bigger. To be happy in the now with what you have is a wonderful thing that all of us humans could work on aspiring to be.

Of course this is not to cast judgement in anybody for wanting a bigger or better or different anything. I think it's sort of human nature but I guess I try to shut it up in me as then I worry that I'm being ungrateful.

And I am truly grateful for a I have and have worked for.

Old 08-13-2014, 08:53 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampyTime View Post
Of course this is not to cast judgement in anybody for wanting a bigger or better or different anything. I think it's sort of human nature but I guess I try to shut it up in me as then I worry that I'm being ungrateful.

And I am truly grateful for a I have and have worked for.
Exactly, exactly, exactly!
I often say "love the one you're with"! It's doubtful I'll ever have MORE fun or make BETTER memories just because I have a new ETI custom built trailer. It's now LESS about those memories and more about my body/ needs. And YES, I know the difference between needs and wants. Lots of folks blend those...
Old 08-13-2014, 10:22 PM   #16

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Adrian, it happens. Twelve years ago I would have never thought that I would be where I am now.

As long as time.. and space, give you what you need NOW, love the one you're with. Make memories. OMG make memories, it's not about how many "feet" it's where you are right NOW and who you're with and what you're doing that's important.
Hi: Donna D... Just as long as your "feet" are planted firmly on the ground!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:23 AM   #17

Name: Pete
Trailer: 17' Casita SD
Wisconsin
Well we're back from Backus, with our original 13' and keeping it. The 13' with a 54" bed wasn't worth loosing the larger closet and the 16' deluxe is just too pricy for 10" of bed. The $21k scared me off right away. Seems Scamp is just putting the big bed in the deluxe just for the higher profit for a year or two then I'm sure they'll have it as an option in all models. Thanks for all the helpful comments. Pete and Donna
yyyyyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 12:21 PM   #18

New York
Registry
I wouldn't want to sacrifice the closet space either. I'm comfy in the sofa bunk! But I know others like the larger bed.

21 grand? Forget it. Not in my lifetime. I've got my Scamper and unless a trade came along for a nice 16 deluxe I'm a happy camper.

Going in 15 minutes in fact! Gonna squeeze out a few more drops is summer.

Hope you enjoy your water heater! I've fired mine up once but never used yet. First summer with the Scamper.

Cheers,
Wendy

Tags
scamp