RV Service provider recommendations - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2017, 12:53 PM   #1

Name: Connie
Trailer: 1995 16' Scamp Deluxe
Washington
RV Service provider recommendations

A lot of the fiberglass RV owners seem to do their own repairs and maintenance. Would like to see a listing of RV Service providers that people can recommend. If there is already something like that on this website please direct me to it. The locations would probably need to be in the title.
Thanks,
Connie Estep
Connie Estep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 01:04 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Suggest you Google BBB ( Better Business Bureau ) for your location and RV shop of your choice.
Old 08-16-2017, 01:06 PM   #3

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Are you looking for a company local to you, or a nationwide master list. I don't know of a master list such as this, but you may do an on line search for RV service associations and contact them for a list. If you are looking for a local shop, you will have to be more specific about your location.
Old 08-16-2017, 03:08 PM   #4

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connie Estep View Post
A lot of the fiberglass RV owners seem to do their own repairs and maintenance. Would like to see a listing of RV Service providers that people can recommend. If there is already something like that on this website please direct me to it. The locations would probably need to be in the title.
Thanks,
Connie Estep
Unless you have RV specific maintenance issues, you may not want to go to an RV specific shop.
DOT lighting, brakes, and wheel bearings are examples of things which could be handled by any automotive shop or utility trailer sales place.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 03:36 PM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
You might look for folks in your area who own RVs and ask where they get work done. Who knows, you might end up making friends with a retiree with time on his/her hands who will teach you some of the basics!

If you don't come up with a specific recommendation for your area (or even if you do), my approach with a new RV tech/auto mechanic/doctor/plumber/etc. is to start with a small job to evaluate their competence, customer relations, business integrity, and pricing. One characteristic I look for is someone who notices and advises about developing problems and someone who does not oversell unnecessary work. I prefer a smaller shop where you get to know the person doing the work and they get to know you and your equipment.

I was walking into Lowes a while back and my auto mechanic came up to me in the parking lot and said, "Hey, Jon, I was wondering if you are having any more issues with..." (naming a problem I had consulted him about, but no work done, two months earlier).
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 03:40 PM   #6

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
I second the idea of a utility trailer shop vs an RV shop, for things that aren't RV specific. I find them more competent, and far better priced.
Old 08-16-2017, 04:11 PM   #7

Name: ginette & ron
Trailer: 2008 25RB 21 Bigfoot
Ontario
Word of mouth in your area and even then.... we have used several shops, none did the work as I would like to see it. Now, I do my own work as much as possible. Unfortunately fonding a good, responsible, mechanic is hard .
Old 08-16-2017, 04:33 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Automotive shops are great for running gear, like wheel bearings. Tire shops for tires. Fiberglass repair - boat repair shops seem to be the best bet. Appliance repair - check with manufacture for certified repair shops in your area.
Because these little trailers are a combination of many systems it might be best to take it to those the specialize in what ever you need repaired.
Since you're in Washington I'll tell you where I've taken mine. For tires, wheel bearings, and brakes Les Schwab tires has done a pretty good job. When some guy ran into my parked trailer a locale boat shop did a great on fiberglass. When I had a spider nest in burner for fridge Camping World managed with me standing over the technician.
Old 08-17-2017, 06:02 PM   #9

Name: Charles
Trailer: Scamp 16
Ohio
Usually RV dealers... Don't forget to bring your arm and your leg :}
cmartin748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 08:58 PM   #10

Washington
Sorry it took so long to get back to you. Took awhile to find the Forum I posted this on. I posed the question as there are some things I am afraid to trust regular RV repair places with just because the fiberglass shell is such a different structure than other trailers. I particularly like Byron's reply. I had Les Schwabs do tires and battery last week, but would never have thought of a boat shop. I wanted to put a handle on the outside next to the door but was afraid the RV place would crack the fiberglass. So far am doing OK without it. I live in the Tri-Cities in Washington but am in Yakima a lot also. I will try to get to the Sept rally at Dash Point, either with my Scamp or as a Saturday visitor so may get recommendations from folks there also. Thanks so much to all of you.
Old 08-24-2017, 09:01 PM   #11

Washington
This was in reply to Jon's story about running into his mechanic at Lowes

Amazing!!

Tags
eco