New Tow Vehicle Recommendations - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2018, 10:58 AM   #41

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Front Bedroom
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
The 2018 F150 with max payload package has a payload as high as 3,200 pounds and a tow rating of 13,200 pounds. To me, this is incredible for a half ton pickup. With the 3.5 Ecoboost, its a towing machine that gets good fuel economy.

Since I would likely prefer the Super Crew version, max payload is "only" 2620 pounds. With the 5.0 V8 you can get up to 2900 pound payload.

Compares very favorably to my 2010 F150 with a 1475 pound payload......
The Ford F-150 with max payload package and max towing package is a 3/4 ton pickup with an F-150 body on it. As an example; the tires are load range E and take 85 psi air, the same tires that come on 3/4 and one ton F-250 and F-350 trucks. By this offering Ford can claim a higher tow rating than their competition.

That being said you will seldom find one set up like that on a dealer's lot. I owned one that I ordered and bought new in 2013. It had the eco-boost and was one of the best, most powerful trucks I have ever owned. I went back last summer to replace it. The dealer did a Ford in house inventory search and there was NOT a new one with the "max payload" package and the "max towing" package in any dealer inventory within 900 miles of So. Missouri. The dealers all claim they can't sell them. You have to order them.

The "problem" with F-250s and F-350s is they don't come with the eco-boost. They offer one size gasoline engine that is a 6.2 l V-8. That being said I wound up doing my own internet searches and spotted an F-350 in stock at another nearby dealer. It was priced lower than an F-150 with all of the extra options you have to order to get it set up right. I bought the F-350 and fell in love with the whole truck including that big V-8 engine (and discovered it is not a problem at all). There is no EPA fuel mileage rating but it averages 2 mpg less than the eco-boost. It is worth it. Another big plus is I was able to throw my much hated equalizer hitch away.
Attached Thumbnails
F350.jpg  
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 12:03 PM   #42

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 15A
Minnesota
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
That's almost impossible with a non-folding trailer having full stand up headroom. Even my small, low clearance Scamp is about a foot taller than my Pilot, which is not a small vehicle and rated for more than twice the Scamp's weight. And I can really feel it when pulling into a headwind.

The effect of frontal area is often overlooked when considering trailers and tow vehicles.
True, but an Expedition is taller than a Pilot.

My U-Haul is only slightly taller than my FJ Cruiser (which has a 2" lift), and not much wider if at all.
Steve Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 12:41 PM   #43

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
an Expedition IS a short wheelbase F150 with a SUV body.

the midsized real SUVs today, like 4Runner, etc, aren't actually THAT much smaller... and the crossovers are all FWD (or AWD thats FWD with rear wheel assist) so not that great for towing, although plenty of people tow with them.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 02:12 PM   #44

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcm View Post
I, too am selling my larger tow vehicle- 2013 Ford Expediton. Awesome, capable, but dont plan on towing that frequently that I need this big rig on a daily basis. Going to buy a small fiberglass trailer, but researching the best smaller tow vehicle. Dont want to be unsafe with inadequate vehicle. Considering ridgeline or smaller truck? Dont want big payments either. thanks Mike
FWIW, Ridgeline length is exactly the same as a Ford Expedition. Fuel economy is pretty similar. Expedition is wider and has higher tow rating (depending on how equipped). Expedition is heavier for sure.

+10 Settle on a trailer first, then select tow vehicle you like that can handle the trailer.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 04:52 AM   #45
Mcm

Name: MCM
Trailer: Currently shopping
New York
thanks for all the input. Good points. I am def not keeping the Expedition, miss having a truck bed, so out to find a suitable match for both vehicle & trailer. Will just be towing a few times a year, so dont want to overdo the vehicle for everyday use, hoping for mid size for vehicle that will do the job for fiberglass rig. Appreciate further ideas. thanks, Mike
Mcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 06:18 AM   #46

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Okay, so the real issue is wanting a truck bed. Next question is what size trailer you're looking for. "Small" can mean really small, like my 13' Scamp, but for some who have previously towed larger conventional trailers, a 17' Casita or even a 19' Escape might be considered "small."

Ridgeline is one option you're already considering, good for up to around 17' of trailer. It's more of a "truckish" SUV on a FWD chassis. For a more traditional compact truck with body-on-frame RWD chassis and good value, you might want to look at the Nissan Frontier. Then there are full-size trucks, which often give just as good or better fuel mileage but have more room and towing capacity. With trucks you have to watch payload- that can run out long before you reach the full tow rating due to trailer tongue weight.

Vans are good, too, depending on what you want the bed for. A van provides security for your stuff and generally more space for the dollar. Used cargo vans make great tow vehicles and swallow bicycles, shorter kayaks, and other camping toys easily.

Trailer first still applies.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 07:47 AM   #47

Registry
Trucks have really gotten bigger and bigger. Compare a new Toyota Tacoma to my 1981 SR5 Toyota pickup. Now the Tacoma looks almost as big as my F150.

Sadly, a lot of the "smaller" trucks don't enjoy improved fuel economy. The F150 with the 'eco boost" motor (multiple sizes) gets very good mileage when not towing. Seems like this fuel economy disappears once towing, but for a vehicle used infrequently as a tow vehicle, that should not be a very big deal.

The new Ford Ranger could be a nice choice.
Old 05-12-2018, 07:06 PM   #48

Name: Katherine
Trailer: Escape 19"
ID
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Trucks have really gotten bigger and bigger. Compare a new Toyota Tacoma to my 1981 SR5 Toyota pickup. Now the Tacoma looks almost as big as my F150.

Sadly, a lot of the "smaller" trucks don't enjoy improved fuel economy. The F150 with the 'eco boost" motor (multiple sizes) gets very good mileage when not towing. Seems like this fuel economy disappears once towing, but for a vehicle used infrequently as a tow vehicle, that should not be a very big deal.

The new Ford Ranger could be a nice choice.
I bought a 2017 Chevy Colorado with the Duramax diesel a few months ago to tow my Escape 19, which is on order. I understand a bunch of folks are using the same truck to tow the 5th wheel version. I normally get 27 - 28 mpg, and that is climbing some pretty steep grades in north central Idaho at 65 mph. I have gotten as a good as 34 mpg at 55 mph on the flat with a slight tail wind. One of my friends has a 2016 Dodge EcoDiesel that gets similar mpg. Our trucks are both 4X4. If a person doesn't mind dealing with the extra hassle of having to deal with a diesel (e.g. adding DEF), these small half-tons are a reasonable alternative. I did buy mine new, but it was on the dealer lot, and they were anxious to sell their remaining 2017 model, so the price was extremely reasonable. I'm anticipating it will tow my new Escape very well. It is rated to tow 7,700 lbs with 1,390 lbs of payload. I understand the gas version of these Colorados get pretty good mpg as well, although not as good as the diesel, but have a bit more payload. I had been planning to buy a 2.7 EcoBoost F-150 but ended up with this truck instead because it cost less. So far, no regrets!
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 06:19 AM   #49
Mcm

New York
Ridgeline 2019 as new tow vehicle

We were able to get a good price on a ‘19 Honda Ridgeline and trade our Expediton. The feedback on the forum from Ridgeline owners, plus reviews we read that were posted were so helpful. So now we are looking for a trailer, (like the Casita Liberty Deluxe?) but have lots to learn about rating/capacity to apply our search. Welcome any feedback. HR tow rating is 5500. Thanks for the help. Mike
Old 05-18-2018, 08:21 AM   #50

Registry
Quote:
We were able to get a good price on a ‘19 Honda Ridgeline and trade our Expediton. The feedback on the forum from Ridgeline owners, plus reviews we read that were posted were so helpful. So now we are looking for a trailer, (like the Casita Liberty Deluxe?) but have lots to learn about rating/capacity to apply our search. Welcome any feedback. HR tow rating is 5500. Thanks for the help. Mike
The big dirty secret on pickup tow ratings is payload limits. The payload is usually listed on a sticker on the door jam. With our truck (F150) we run out of payload at about HALF our 9,800 pound tow rating. Its frustrating! The more options and deluxe the truck, the lower the payload. On four door trucks that are built to seat five adults comfortably, the relatively low payload becomes quite limiting. All those passengers come out of the payload capacity, as do any dealer options, gear in the truck, or whatever.

Manufacturers rationalize this issue by pointing to towing boats (light tongue weight) or towing farm trailers (little to no tongue weight).

Read up on payload, compare to your individual truck's rating, and what you plan to carry in the truck. I have no doubt that many ignore or exceed payload rating. Thats a personal decision. F150s (my truck) have a huge range of payload ratings, from about 1100 pounds to 3200 pounds! I don't think Honda has such a wild range.

I love the Ridgeline by the way!
Old 05-18-2018, 09:12 AM   #51

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I find it quite remarkable that most of these threads on purchasing a tow vehicle end up with the same result. Seems rather senseless at times
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 09:48 AM   #52

Arizona
Registry
Steve, I think it comes down to preferences. It is clear the OP likes the Ridgeline mainly for its everyday driving characteristics. I get that. For many of us, towing is a relatively small percentage of annual mileage.

There are more capable tow vehicles, but you could also do a lot worse. Quite a few small and mid-size molded options are within its ratings. As long as the OP understands and accepts the limitations of this vehicle, all is well. And if not... well... experience is a great teacher.

Enjoy that Ridgeline, Mike! And yes, do watch payload and rear axle load. Too heavy on the rear and you may find yourself eating expensive tires.
Old 05-18-2018, 11:11 AM   #53

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Mike,

A simplified approach is to use the trailer's Gross Vehicle Weight Rating, which is the maximum combined weight of dry trailer, fluids and cargo. Then, check this against your tow vehicle's ratings, including the payload rating.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 07:06 AM   #54
Mcm

New York
Ok! thanks for those details & experiences, they will really help. The forum threads and feedback are so beneficial, as we each seek to find the vehicle and camper that meets our individual needs and preferences, and bring the pleasant times we hope for, as we get out there and use them.
Old 05-26-2018, 12:40 PM   #55

Name: Bob N Judy
Trailer: Escape 5.0TA
Texas
Canyon

Towed our 2016 Scamp 19 deluxe easily with a 2015 GMC Canyon 6 cyl gas. This is the 6 speed trans, SLT, short bed, and the hitch was done at the factory in Basset, MN. I've since replaced it with an Andersen Ultimate hitch which is far superior to the old one. I'm replacing this truck with a '19 diesel model because we now tow a 5.0TA Escape which is 1K# heavier, wider, and taller and only $6k more. The GM website will give you all the relevant tow/payload/GVWR, etc and you'll find that there's over 1300# for gear. The gas Canyon gives some fits of poor performance with the old 6 speed with that load but even so the Scamp was a breeze. Also, a plus for the Canyon/Colorado short bed; this truck will fit in your garage.Best regards.
bobnjudy78748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 04:25 AM   #56
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Lost in the fine print

Before heading out on our first trip of the season with our new Frontier I decided to review the towing section of the owners manual. Apparently I need to trade the Trillium in for a pop up.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180528_060524.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	119619
Attached Thumbnails
_20180528_062442.JPG  
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 06:11 AM   #57

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
Before heading out on our first trip of the season with our new Frontier I decided to review the towing section of the owners manual. Apparently I need to trade the Trillium in for a pop up.

Attachment 119619
30 square feet...not too bad, just don’t haul large items. Wonder what the payload capacity is, which is located on your driver side door sill.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 06:27 AM   #58
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
30 square feet...not too bad, just don’t haul large items. Wonder what the payload capacity is, which is located on your driver side door sill.
1266 lbs
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 06:41 AM   #59

Arizona
Registry
An Inconvenient Truth

I think we may start seeing frontal area specs among the towing caveats in more owner's manuals. It's partly a consequence of the J2807 tow testing standards, which include frontal area specs considerably less than the typical hard-sided travel trailer or fifth wheel in all weight classes.
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAEJ2807 Frontal Area.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	119621

It is surprising that Nissan's across-the-board frontal area limit of 30 sq. ft. is less than the J2807 spec for the V6 ratings, which should have been tested to 55 sq. ft. Seems Nissan is not on board with the new (voluntary) testing standards (in spite of their claim in the footnotes!!). That's disappointing and makes me wonder about the Pathfinder, another popular choice for small and mid-sized molded trailers carrying an above-average 6000# rating among similar vehicles...

To me it's not a case of "the sky is falling," but another reason to allow some margin in your tow rating and slow down when towing. The effect of excess frontal area increases dramatically at higher speeds. Aerodynamic drag increases by 40% from 55 mph to 65 mph and by more than 60% at 70 mph.
Old 05-28-2018, 09:32 AM   #60

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Front Bedroom
Well, if your trailer is 7 1/2' wide it can be 4' tall.

That aside, I suspect vehicle manufacturers have actually tried towing trailers and discovered they catch a lot of wind, especially the ones that are 8' wide and 7' tall. Then when you encounter a 30 mph headwind you can't blow enough gas through your gasoline engine to maintain "highway speeds".
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eco