82 Burro - weight and more? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2016, 09:31 AM   #1

Name: Chuck & Kevyn
Trailer: 1982 Burro
Texas
82 Burro - weight and more?

My wife and I found and purchased a 13 foot '82 Burro from a stranger who had parked it off of I-35W Frontage Road just south of Fort Worth. Needless to say we're thrilled about it. We've replaced the tires, electrical system, flooring, cushions and cabinets and finally feel that she is ready to be put to the test.

But first, we need to tow it and our belongings to Portland, OR from Austin, TX. We've got an '06 4Runner so I'm not concerned about towing capacity, however I'm wondering how much our Burro weighs and how much weight the Burro's axle can take as we plan on loading it up for the move.

Is this page - https://www.etrailer.com/question-18434.html - as good of a guideline as is out there? Can anyone provide additional info?

Thanks,
Chuck
chuckandkevyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 10:16 AM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
If the tires rub on the wheel well .... you probably have too much load on it
No doubt you will get a serious answer from someone else
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 10:39 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
82 Burro - weight and more?

First thing is to see if the axle itself has a manufacturer's sticker indicating the weight rating. If it's original (a toss-up on one that old) it may be long gone.

In the absence of a sticker, and if no better information comes along, I'd limit the total weight to around 1750 pounds, which is on the heavier end for a Burro loaded for camping. For the most part these small eggs weren't designed to carry much more than their own weight plus a reasonable amount of camping equipment.

Pay attention to how you load as well. Most of the empty space is at the back, which is a bad place to carry weight.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 02:30 PM   #4

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Hi Chuck, welcome.
The sticker that Jon refers to could be a metal tag. 1750 pounds is about it for this set up if the axle is in good shape. Have you checked the axle? I hope you can load all your household goods in this trailer and keep the weight under the maximum. What vehicle will you be using for towing ?
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 04:44 PM   #5

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Checking that axle rating is your first concern. Then go to a certified weigh station; truck stop, salvage yard, etc., and have the trailer weighed empty. Then you will have some idea what you can haul.

Based on the average of 13 ft trailers as listed in "Trailer Weights in the Real World", spreadsheet available here:

http://lakeshoreimages.com/spreadsheets/Weight.xls

you should be good for 1700 to 1800 lbs, provided the axle is in good shape. I did not include that 800 lb Burro listed, as that number is too far off the average to be trusted.

When you changed the tires, was the wear pattern on the old tires even? Uneven wear can be a sign of a misaligned or worn axle.

If you put ST (Special Trailer) tires on it, you want to run them at the max rated pressure listed on the sidewall.

I don't know how much 'stuff' you guys have, but if it's significant you may do better to rent a U-haul or some such van and make your move in two vehicles, the van with most of the household stuff and the rest in the 4 Runner and the trailer. So long as you follow the 4 Runner owner's manual regarding tow weight, tongue weight (10-15 % of trailer weight) and Gross Combined Vehicle Weight, you might be able to do it without the rental if you guys don't have a bunch. If you live in a furnished apartment you may be able to do it.

If you decide you can do it in the Runner and the Burro, load it up and get the whole thing weighed again, just to be on the safe side.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 07-12-2016, 12:38 PM   #6

Name: Chuck & Kevyn
Trailer: 1982 Burro
Texas
Thanks for the responses.

Towing with a 2006 4Runner. Intention is to load Yakima box and SUV with heavy items and spread remaining things wisely. Load for the Burro will be spread through the under seat areas and cabinets with a few larger items on th benches and across the floor. It shouldn't be more than 500 lbs of stuff. At current the Burro is fairly bare, no water, propane, tvs or anything of that sort.
chuckandkevyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 01:06 PM   #7

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Sounds doable.

Tags
burro, weight