Where to start trillium repair - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2016, 10:24 PM   #1

Name: Patricia
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
Where to start trillium repair

My back window has started to leak. There is a little water between the wall and the insolite and we are supposed to go below freezing tonight. My entire trillium needs to be renovated. So where do I start? Should i try to pop out the window and reinstall it before the snow flies, or should I just put a tarp over it and wait until spring when I can replace the belly band, buff down the exterior and get it all repainted?
PatriciaSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 07:47 AM   #2

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriciaSK View Post
So where do I start? Should i try to pop out the window and reinstall it before the snow flies, or should I just put a tarp over it and wait until spring when I can replace the belly band, buff down the exterior and get it all repainted?
With 8 posts, I assume you are new to all of this.
If so, I would start with the tarp. That will give you the winter to read up on all the other projects here on FGRV.

Window leak could be just the butyl, the vinyl seals or it could be the wood that holds the frame in place. ... but you did mention belly band.

I've been around here for a decade and just started my first jalousie window job. It was much bigger than I imagined. I'm still learning. What surprised me was the jalousie window panes can be adjusted.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 09:31 AM   #3

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
I lived in SK for a long time,, know isn't the time to tear it apart if it is to sit outside.
As Roy said tarp it till spring. I would scrape back the ensolite where it is leaking and dry it out though.
Good luck with your new2u tril!
Fred
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 10:19 AM   #4

Name: Christine
Trailer: 1976 Trillium
Ontario
HI, I need some guidance on replacing the wood frame on one of my side windows of my 1976 Trillium. The window leaks and the wood is all rotten. Any tips?

thanks C
CBeech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 11:10 AM   #5

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeech View Post
HI, I need some guidance on replacing the wood frame on one of my side windows of my 1976 Trillium. The window leaks and the wood is all rotten. Any tips?

thanks C
There are several threads on this:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ead-65342.html

The real challenge is getting the Ensolite separated from the wood window frame. A real sharp putty knife is a good start. I have found that wet / rotten wood separates from the Ensolite much easier then dry / sound wood.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 07:49 PM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeech View Post
You can also look up my renovation thread. I resealed all the windows on my trailer and took many pictures.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...0-a-71346.html
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 07:46 AM   #7

Name: Christine
Trailer: 1976 Trillium
Ontario
Thanks for the pictures, it gives me a better idea of what to expect. C
CBeech is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium