Buying a used Scamp (private sale); should I check VIN? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-06-2016, 11:47 AM   #1

Name: Rebecca
Trailer: Scamp
Kansas
Buying a used Scamp (private sale); should I check VIN?

I am purchasing a used Scamp from a private seller. Is there a way to check the VIN / history for it? Haven't had any luck using the VIN provided on CARFAX or other sites.
Rebecca3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 12:15 PM   #2

Name: Jacob
Iowa
Registry
VIN Number

I would check to make sure they gave you the VIN correctly. We had an issue with our VIN number as stated when we bought our Scamp, we purchased it in SD and lived in IA and Iowa told us that the VIN wasn't correct so we had to actually find the VIN on the frame to make sure we had it correct, I believe it was a Z where an S should be or something along those lines.

I would also be inclined to believe that most RV trailers wouldn't be reported to carfax as they wouldn't be run through a traditional body shop for repairs. Also I think most trailers just get totaled after an accident.
jjorgensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 12:17 PM   #3

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
The VIN on the camper must match the VIN on the TITLE and BILL OF SALE.

Try to find it on the camper.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 12:39 PM   #4

Name: Rebecca
Kansas
So was it Iowa DMV that said the VIN wasn't correct?
Rebecca3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 12:45 PM   #5

Name: Jacob
Iowa
Registry
Yes, the trailer was Registered in South Dakota when we bought it, but the previous owners had used an incorrect VIN and Iowa DMV told us we needed to get the right one as it wouldn't be accepted as it was. The VIN that we found on the tongue of the camper was correct and only off one letter, but that was enough to flag it.
jjorgensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 03:42 PM   #6

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
We bought ours in New Mexico and live in Colorado. When we registered it, we had to have someone from the DMV come out and personally see it stamped on the frame and match it to the title. Had to take the battery and one propane tank off to find it. I would say ensure that it is an exact match before purchasing. You should also be able to call your DMV and ask them if it is a clear title once you have the VIN number.
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 11:08 PM   #7

Name: Frank
Trailer: Casita
California
Buyer Check list

Use the buyer checklist available on this forum. Deduct $ for anything not right. Check awnings especially, up down, and condition of fabric have seller put it up and take it down. Good to me ain't necessarily good to you!!
Old 04-07-2016, 04:23 AM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankcfx View Post
Use the buyer checklist available on this forum. Deduct $ for anything not right. Check awnings especially, up down, and condition of fabric have seller put it up and take it down. Good to me ain't necessarily good to you!!
Direct link: Buyers Checklist http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/d...?do=file&id=72
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:50 AM   #9

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
There is no "CARFAX" service for travel trailers.
Please note CARFAX often misses a lot of the past history on vehicles.
They only report on issues reported to them by "reporting members".
If repairs were done by a non-reporting garage there would be no record.

Travel trailers are simple...what you see is what you get.
If you are new to this marketplace get someone to help you.
It would be great if someone in Kansas would chime in and offer local assistance.
All the checklists in the world will be of no value if you don't know what you are inspecting...experience counts.

The VIN (serial) number on the title must match the number on the trailer.
The title will either be free and clear or have an indication of a lien.
If there was a lien current owner must have lien cleared before sale.

It all works out to "Buyer Beware".
Get someone with knowledge to help you inspect the trailer.
Ask the current trailer owner a lot of questions. You will quickly get a sense of weather or not this owner took pride in ownership and maintenance.

Most important check the tires...check production date...tires over 5 years old should be replaced. Once the trailer is yours keep the tires covered when not in use. UV degradation from the sun and not mileage is the real enemy of trailer tires.

Good Luck and Happy Camping!
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 09:51 AM   #10

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I bought our 17' Casita in Pa. Before getting an Ohio title and registering it I had to take it to the DMV where they verified the lights worked, VIN on the title matched VIN stamped on the trailer tongue and also verified it was a "Spirt Deluxe" that was on a tag along with other information.

Before buying a trailer from out of state it would be a good idea to check with your DMV to learn what documentation is needed for you to register it in your state.
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp, vin