My ambitious Boler restoration - '79 Model - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2013, 08:40 PM   #1

Name: Luis
Trailer: Boler 1300 79'
Alberta
Registry
My ambitious Boler restoration - '79 Model

Hello All, I have finally sorted out how to post pics and reply to messages etc. and am ready to tap into all of you for valuable advise and tips.

I also offer plenty of entertainment for you all!

Being a reasonably good handyman, I am going big! plenty of ideas will make this rig a hit, or not.

I will set the tone of the thread by stating my latest crazy idea first, see what you think:

How about a automatic dishwasher?
Will look forward to hear from all.

Cheers,
L
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1409[1].jpg   IMG_1408[1].jpg  

Luis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:45 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Well, I've read where you can cook a whole salmon in an dishwasher, so as long as you're looking at the appliance as both a dishwasher and a kinda/sort oven, why not?

Hey, it's YOUR trailer, but I wouldn't give up my bathroom to have one.. I'd rather eat on paper plates

Now, if you have the plans for a built-in vacuum system....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:53 PM   #3

Alberta
Registry
full size bathroom you say?

Donna, the dishwasher is the white appliance under the oven in my pic.
So yes we will be able to roast the salmon AND have the dishes done while we relax in the hammock...

My floorplan design actualy includes a full size bathroom, complete with sink, port-a-potty and shower...

Enjoy.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:42 PM   #4

Trailer: 1975 Boler
Registry
Let me know where you're camping and we'll be glad to cook for you if you're doing the dishes! You may be more popular in the campground for having a dishwasher than having a unique looking trailer!
Evan Friesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:34 AM   #5

Name: Slavomir
Trailer: 1978 Boler
Washington
Luis, it will be awesome to see your project progress! You'll have to always have lots of water and lots of power for that dishwasher. Hope it doesn't shake your rig too much when running!

Cheers,
Slav
slavandheather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:41 AM   #6

Alberta
Registry
Dishwasher safe

Slav, water and power to run DW are available at most serviced campsites, furthermore, my thinking is the dishwasher tray/basket will help to drain dishes that are hand washed and as accessible storage while at camp. Dishes/mugs/silverware would be put away for travel and we could stick some towels or clothing in the DW to snug tray/basket prior to travel.

My concern is whether the DW would break down due to the travel in the trailer, vibrations and bumps, etc. What do you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavandheather View Post
Luis, it will be awesome to see your project progress! You'll have to always have lots of water and lots of power for that dishwasher. Hope it doesn't shake your rig too much when running!

Cheers,
Slav
Old 03-01-2013, 07:37 AM   #7
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Ambitious plan Luis, it's great.
I think you would be the first to have a dishwasher.
I would be the last one to criticize any plan or modification
Considering what I have in the works for mine ... think fireplace.

Do you have a sketch of your planned floor-plan?
Where in Alberta are you?
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:17 AM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
A dishwasher has a lot of interior space by design. I have relatives that just use theirs for storage.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:39 PM   #9

Alberta
Registry
storage and a place to drain and keep plates

Thomas, indeed.

I can use the volume to store things en route, and I can keep glasses, silverware, plates, etc. handy and protected at the camp. Since counter space is at a premium in these little rigs, I can hand wash and store inside the DW,...
...that's the plan anyways.

DW will go to the left of oven/stove,...

Cheers,
L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
A dishwasher has a lot of interior space by design. I have relatives that just use theirs for storage.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1416[1].jpg  
Old 03-01-2013, 10:57 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
When it comes to a dish washer, from my personal experience, here at home, the electrical is a major issue. We bought a portable ( for our teensy house ) and it wouldn't work ( brand new ). Service checked it out and the issue was power. I got a heavy duty, short, extension cord and managed to get it to work, after plugging it into a couple different outlets. So, your problem, should you choose to overcome it, may be to ensure enough and consistent power when you are at the whim of a campground handyman and his electrics.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:03 PM   #11

Another thought. The DW may double as a sauna in that small space.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:20 PM   #12

Trailer: 13 ft Compact II
Registry
I think some huge motorhomes come with dishwashers, so those brands would be engineered to withstand road vibration. They'd also be scaled down for your trailer.

I 'm having trouble seeing the photo of the dishwasher in your post; is it the size and type meant for home use?

I agree that the interior can be a good place to store dishes, etc. But isn't there always a little water left at the bottom of the interior, so the seals don't dry out? In the confines of a trailer, I wonder if this moisture would be a source of mold. And my dishwasher at home gives off moisture during the drying cycle, which is not necessarily a bad thing if you are desert camping or want a facial.

Fran
francene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:53 PM   #13

Alberta
Registry
moisture

Round here in southern Alberta is rather dry, I would not worry about this.

The model I found in the dumpster (oh yes), its a Dandy intended for over the counter use. Runs on 120v and has a little sump with an electric resistance heater (think kettle) inside. It does not have rubber seals at all.

I am not thinking on running the DW with me inside guys! Ill be outside in the hammock.

Cheers,
L

Quote:
Originally Posted by francene View Post
I think some huge motorhomes come with dishwashers, so those brands would be engineered to withstand road vibration. They'd also be scaled down for your trailer.

I 'm having trouble seeing the photo of the dishwasher in your post; is it the size and type meant for home use?

I agree that the interior can be a good place to store dishes, etc. But isn't there always a little water left at the bottom of the interior, so the seals don't dry out? In the confines of a trailer, I wonder if this moisture would be a source of mold. And my dishwasher at home gives off moisture during the drying cycle, which is not necessarily a bad thing if you are desert camping or want a facial.

Fran
Old 03-02-2013, 12:24 AM   #14

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Yup, not the first to have a dishwasher! But I have a feeling it would be the first molded glass trailer to have one!

I am always about what makes your individual camping experience the best it can be, but that being said......... I would never have one in a egg! First off your added weight, the space taken up by it, amps? I frankly don't see how 30 amps could support a dishwasher, The sauna effect as Glenn suggested, etc etc etc.........

I do think your concern about vibration, road wear might break down seals, hoses, etc durning travel might be valid. Got to remember, everytime you get on the road at 65 mph back in the trailer it's like a 5.5 earthquake! I don't think a DW was intended for such a work out. As far as using it for storage, a cabinet works just fine for storage!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:36 AM   #15

whatever you do, don't substitute dish washing liquid for dish washer detergent.
Old 03-02-2013, 05:40 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
whatever you do, don't substitute dish washing liquid for dish washer detergent.
No kidding, you'd end up having a rollin' bubble machine!
Old 03-02-2013, 08:58 AM   #17

Name: Ron
Trailer: Trillium 13 ft (green grape)
Ontario
Dishwashers are not CAMPING !
RRJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:34 PM   #18

Name: Logan
Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13'
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRJR View Post
Dishwashers are not CAMPING !
If you're going to nitpick..

Fiberglass RV's are not technically "camping".
841K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:12 PM   #19

Name: Slavomir
Trailer: 1978 Boler
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis View Post
Slav, water and power to run DW are available at most serviced campsites, furthermore, my thinking is the dishwasher tray/basket will help to drain dishes that are hand washed and as accessible storage while at camp. Dishes/mugs/silverware would be put away for travel and we could stick some towels or clothing in the DW to snug tray/basket prior to travel.

My concern is whether the DW would break down due to the travel in the trailer, vibrations and bumps, etc. What do you think?
I know what you mean...was just being funny. We usually stay at rustic campgrounds that rarely have water in the sites, let alone electric hookup.

Can't say how it would fare in the rig though. Guess it depends if it is made delicate or not.
slavandheather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 03:33 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 841K9 View Post
If you're going to nitpick..

Fiberglass RV's are not technically "camping".
Backpackers probably say the same thing about tent campers, if they can stand up in the tent and put their pants on

I believe folks should mod a trailer to fit them and their lifestyle. If I was choosing, I'd like a built in fireplace or at least one that looks like a real fireplace. And yes, I've seen the stand alones...

Tags
boler