Decorating our little Burro - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2013, 06:00 AM   #1

Name: Don
Trailer: 1989 Burro
Tennessee
Decorating our little Burro

We are so excited! We are avid campers but tents were the abode until we ran across our little Burro on Craigslist. It's in pretty good shape but my wife, Marilyn, has a great talent when it comes to taking something that's "pretty good" and making it extra special. A lot of our excitement has to do with finding this blog and realizing that just about anything you could ever want for advice can be found right here. Thank you all for taking the time to leave such a great body of work for new Burro owners as well as Burro owners of the future.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2812.jpg  
Old 09-23-2013, 06:06 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Welcome. I love the little Burro and its close cousin the UHaul CT13. Make sure that you cover the basics - find all water leaks, check the floor for soft spots, pack the bearings and replace tires over 6 years old no matter how much tread that they have on them. Check the frame for cracks, especially near the front of the body.

And decorate away.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:18 AM   #3

Tennessee
Some Before Pics

We plan on making the bed permanent (Marilyn's idea which I struggled with) so we made a pattern of the area which 77" by 47" with one side having rounded corners. We took the pattern to a foam rubber outlet and had them cut two pieces. The first piece is regular 4" thick foam and the second piece is 2" memory foam which will go on top. We also bought a quilted fabric to cover the the foam. We found a great seamstress several years ago and although Marilyn could do it it just doesn't make sense when the quote is just $45.00 and that includes a zipper.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2808.jpg   IMG_2809.jpg  

IMG_2811.jpg   IMG_2807.jpg  

Old 09-23-2013, 10:22 AM   #4

Tennessee
Thanks Tom! I have found two "spider web cracks" on top. Maybe hail damage. I plan I using Poli Glow after a good cleaning with "Awesome Cleaner" and Bar Keepers Friend. Anything else I need to do for those cracks? Thanks
Old 09-23-2013, 10:59 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dondon View Post
.......Anything else I need to do for those cracks? Thanks
Not mandatory, but this is supposed to work well.

Capt. Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure
Old 09-23-2013, 03:39 PM   #6

Tennessee
The Floor Project

We decided to go with the Allure flooring with a hardwood look. I was fortunate to have been scanning all the threads having to do with flooring and I came across the idea of using the carpet as a pattern for the new floor. Eureka! As you will see, our Burro has a floor vent that I think may have been installed by the previous owner. After removing the vent and the door threshold I was surprised how easy the carpet came right out. The perfect template. I started with Black Jack Floating Floor Cushion Underlayment which we purchased at Home Depot. I laid it out and put the carpet on top of it and traced the pattern. One roll was more than enough to make two perfectly fitting pieces. I have never laid any kind of vinyl flooring in a camper or a house for that matter. I've always just left it to a professional craftsman. But this just seemed so easy I thought I would give it a try. The next step was to transfer the pattern to the Allure flooring. I laid the old carpet out flat and proceeded to lay the vinyl over the top of it making sure that I went past the edges of the template. During this step I made sure that each piece was tightly fitted and with a good bond to the adjoining piece. I also staggered the pieces so that the seams would not line up. When the old carpet was completely covered I then slid it out from under the vinyl and placed it on top. I was then able to trace the pattern onto the vinyl. I used a red magic marker. The next step was to use a jig saw to cut out the pattern making sure to stay close to the inside edge of the red magic marker line. In other words, no red line was left on the pattern. I then got a friend to help me carry the pattern into the Burro and it just slide right into place. I used a utility knife to trim the door area and some of the underlayment. I don't think this would be as easy in a trailer longer than 13 feet but it worked for our Burro. I will post more pictures of the cabinet fronts with their beautiful new colors by Marilyn and also the new upholstery for the couch/bunk bed. Can't wait to go camping!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2820.jpg   IMG_2819.jpg  

IMG_2816.jpg   IMG_2822.jpg  

IMG_2823.jpg   IMG_2824.jpg  

IMG_2825.jpg   IMG_2826.jpg  

IMG_2828.jpg   IMG_2827.jpg  

Old 09-23-2013, 05:26 PM   #7

Name: Rosemary
Trailer: In the market
Pennsylvania
Your Burro is adorable. I like the choice of the rugged plaid fabric for your cushions. You will be glad to have that as it will hold up well and not show stains as much as a solid would. It also looks nice and rustic to go with your new floor.

Great idea to use the carpet as your pattern for the new floor. I'm sure that you were able to use your flooring pieces more efficiently by doing it this way.

Looking forward to the rest of your and Marilyn's decorating.

Rosemary
Seamstress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 05:29 PM   #8

Nice work. What is the purpose of the floor vent?
Old 09-24-2013, 06:18 AM   #9

Tennessee
Hi Rosemary! Thank you for your kind comments. Actually the plaid fabric is the original 1983 upholstery. We talked about keeping the original vintage look but decided we would go with different colors. Marilyn took the couch bottom and back to our upholsterer yesterday so we are hoping to have them back sometime early next week. We get the bedding back this Friday. After all is in I plan on posting some more pics. Our first outing is planned for 10/4 and 10/5 with friends. We can't wait!
Old 09-24-2013, 07:20 PM   #10

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Sure looking good. I know y'll are already having fun working on it( Have you named her yet?? ) Just think how much more fun you will have camping !
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:53 PM   #11

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Darling Burro,
'Can't wait to see the photos of the interior decor when it's done! I'm an avid FGRV decorator too! Photo shows my Southwest theme.
Attached Thumbnails
SCAMP Southwest Decor 2013 007.jpg  
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:19 AM   #12

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
I've had fun with my UHaul interior. 1st pic is the original front bench, similar to Burro. I took off the bunk and turned it into a 2 person dinette. The back table area is now a permanent bed, complete with storage cubby 'nightstand'.
Attached Thumbnails
Couch.JPG   dinette.jpg  

IMG-20130427-01239 (Large).jpg  
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:05 AM   #13

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Looking good Don.
Thanks for sharing the pics.
Looking forward to the new decorations.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 09:26 AM   #14

Trailer: 89 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
Love how it looks -- can you tell me what color of flooring you used? We're going to do this this year (finally) but I'm having a hard time deciding what pattern.

Also, can anyone tell me what the difference is between the different types of allure? That is, Plus, Resilient, or whatever they call it these days.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:19 AM   #15

Tennessee
The first owner of this camper installed a floor register under the table/bed. I didn't ask why but I assume it was for ventilation. It doesn't open directly under the trailor. There is a short piece of fiberglass channel or duct which curves to face the rear and is screened on the end. Both of the former owners were heavy smokers at one time. He also installed five ash trays! One was just to the right of center in the table! If you were smoking a cig you literally didn't have to take a step to thump ashes no matter where you were in the trailor. I have removed them all and installed cover plates temporarily. The table is now a permanent bed so that took care of that one. We have had no moisture issues from the vent and it does seem to aid in ventilating.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:35 AM   #16

Tennessee
Allure Flooring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve and Rosemary View Post
Love how it looks -- can you tell me what color of flooring you used? We're going to do this this year (finally) but I'm having a hard time deciding what pattern.

Also, can anyone tell me what the difference is between the different types of allure? That is, Plus, Resilient, or whatever they call it these days.
I don't know the difference between the Allures. Their website will probably be the best source. I'll try to post a picture of the end of the box regarding the color.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:59 AM   #17

Tennessee
Steve and Rosemary,
Sorry for late response. Haven't been on the forum for a while! We are very satisfied with the Allure floor. I'm sorry but I don't know the difference between the different grades. Our floor is very resilient and easy to clean. In case the box photo doesn't show up, the color is Sahara Wood 579 423. Take care.
Old 07-15-2014, 04:14 PM   #18

Name: Linda
Trailer: Burro 13'. 1982
Montana
Dondon,

Could you post some recent pictures? I'm redoing my 1982 13' Burro and am always looking for ideas. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Lfoxmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 07:52 PM   #19

Tennessee
Our most recent trip to Elkmont CG, Smoky Mountains

Hi Linda,

I have forgotten how to post pictures! Here is a link to a video of our last outing with the Burro and there are quite a few pictures of the interior in a slide show at the end. Elkmont SectG4 - YouTube We love it! We are planning a fall trip to California to see the "Avenue of the Giants" we can't wait. We also bought an 1972 Avion 28' LaGrande which will require quite a bit of work. I hope the video will open. Let me know and I'll try figure out something else. After I post this I'll try to figure this picture thing out again. Happy Camping!
Old 07-15-2014, 08:21 PM   #20

Tennessee
Updated Decorating Photos (I hope!)

Maybe not. I'll keep working on this till I figure it out! Thanks for all you patience because I'm runnin' out of mine!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1490.jpg   IMG_1492.jpg  

IMG_1493.jpg   IMG_1494.jpg  

IMG_1495.jpg   IMG_1496.jpg  

IMG_1498.jpg   IMG_1501.jpg  

IMG_1503.jpg   IMG_1504.jpg  

Tags
allure, bedding, burro, decor, decorating, floor pattern, under layment