Need recommendations for heater - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2017, 07:19 AM   #41

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
With a mounted heater, like the Propex, it is much easier to get heat, just one twist of a switch and you are going. No setup, no potential for being in the way, more energy efficient with not having to have a window open. It does cost a bit more, but in my opinion is well worth it.

In my daughter's trailer, where I installed the Propex, even on a cold night near freezing they don't drain the battery down too bad at all, and their 50W portable solar panel tops it back up during the day.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 07:19 PM   #42

Name: kelli
Trailer: 2005 keystone outback
Indiana
There is also a limit on altitude with these. We lived at 8200 ft and they were not recommended. The gas buddy propane heater.
kpsaddleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 09:14 PM   #43

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
sorry you don't heat the outdoors a very small crack and that s it!
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 09:21 PM   #44

Missouri
Squish I use unvented heater in my house I am fully aware of the need for small vents not the open window completely some on here seem to think you have to have. I am planning to boonedock extensively with our Scamp and will follow the same policy.

I suggest the doubters go to Amazon and read the reviews on the wave line of heaters will they deplete oxygen of course if you don't use your head. If people want a furnace that is fine with me but I only carry one small battery and that it for lights.

I am not running a generator or chasing down a camping park when I am on the road it is not in our plan especially in winter.

I don't know how they work high elevations I don't plan to be there in the winter anyway! We too come from a tenting background 41 years been all over the world high el. low el. never a problem keeping warm in a tent!

good luck to all

bob
Old 10-05-2017, 10:45 PM   #45

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
I really want a wood burning fireplace for the ambience. But of course it would cook me right out of my tiny Campster.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 09:33 AM   #46

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
sorry you don't heat the outdoors a very small crack and that s it!
I'm sorry if I stepped on any toes with this. My husband and I spent a few yrs at high elevation and checked into numerous portable propane heaters, and from why we could remember, said not for high elevation. I thought this was a site to help others with what you know. Am I on the wrong site?
Old 10-06-2017, 09:47 AM   #47

Missouri
not for me I understand what you said I don't think my wave will work up there. I didn't take your post as anything but helpful. I don't see myself going to high elevation in winter but you never know. I guess I could replumb my furnace but I doubt I will do it. Maybe carry some extra blankets!
Old 10-06-2017, 10:39 AM   #48

Missouri
Hey I just did a web search for wave heaters they will operate up to 12,000 ft is this weird or not? That is so high I will never get there!

anyway good news for anyone that wants a wave and go high

bob
Old 10-06-2017, 10:58 AM   #49

Indiana
Ok. Thanks
Old 10-06-2017, 11:44 AM   #50

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Kelli, you are not on the wrong site, but there are some trying to set records spewing folklore. 12,000 feet as a ceiling for a heater isn't far fetched at all in Colorado. Mount Evans Road is over 14,000, Trail Ridge Road (U.S. Highway 34) reaches 12,183. and the entire town of Leadville sits at 10,152.

If you are staying in towns around 10,000 feet, it makes perfect sense (to me), that you'd want a heater that comfortably exceeds that.

But others know better, and will tell you so. Twice.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 01:13 PM   #51

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 72 View Post
Kelli, you are not on the wrong site, but there are some trying to set records spewing folklore. 12,000 feet as a ceiling for a heater isn't far fetched at all in Colorado. Mount Evans Road is over 14,000, Trail Ridge Road (U.S. Highway 34) reaches 12,183. and the entire town of Leadville sits at 10,152.

If you are staying in towns around 10,000 feet, it makes perfect sense (to me), that you'd want a heater that comfortably exceeds that.

But others know better, and will tell you so. Twice.
We lived in Leadville for a few years. We were fortunate enough to be in a small house. Buena Vista was a wonderful place to live! Thanks!
Old 10-07-2017, 08:01 AM   #52

Missouri
What are the winters like up there?

bob
Old 10-07-2017, 08:10 AM   #53

Indiana
I loved it!!! Since the air is dry it it's not as cold as it is in lower elevations. It could be 15 below in the winter and this last summer it for all the way to 80. It a dry powdery snow that you can use a leafblower on. I shoveled snow in shorts and a tshirt

Sent from my SM-G935V using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Old 10-07-2017, 08:11 AM   #54

Indiana
This last winter they had enough snow they had to shovel off their roofs!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Fiberglass RV mobile app

Tags
eco