We're headed to the Keys!!! Any recommendations? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2017, 10:30 PM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
We're headed to the Keys!!! Any recommendations?

We lucked up as there was a cancellation and we got into John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park in Key Largo! Booked 3 days for $135 with hookups! Its about 11 hours drive according to Google Maps so we will go at least halfway maybe more then drive the rest of the way the following morning. Planning to stay in one of the rest stops on the turnpike long enough to get 8 hours sleep. Google suggests several routes, but anything we need to know about? We want the quickest route to get us there.

How much are the tolls?

How are the bugs this time of year down there?

Any recommendations of things to do and places to eat for the budget conscious?

We plan on doing the glass bottom boat ride in the state park to explore the reefs. We wanted to visit Key West too but its 2 to 3 hour more drive time and we only have 3 days there. Planning on mostly beach time. Any other suggestions or helpful information is very much appreciated!

We're going to the KEYS!!!! (as I do my happy dance)!!!
Old 11-14-2017, 05:42 AM   #2

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny M View Post
We lucked up as there was a cancellation and we got into John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park in Key Largo! Booked 3 days for $135 with hookups! Its about 11 hours drive according to Google Maps so we will go at least halfway maybe more then drive the rest of the way the following morning. Planning to stay in one of the rest stops on the turnpike long enough to get 8 hours sleep. Google suggests several routes, but anything we need to know about? We want the quickest route to get us there.

How much are the tolls?

How are the bugs this time of year down there?

Any recommendations of things to do and places to eat for the budget conscious?

We plan on doing the glass bottom boat ride in the state park to explore the reefs. We wanted to visit Key West too but its 2 to 3 hour more drive time and we only have 3 days there. Planning on mostly beach time. Any other suggestions or helpful information is very much appreciated!

We're going to the KEYS!!!! (as I do my happy dance)!!!
Use one of the 3 days you have and drive on down to Key West. IMO, the reef boat tour is worthwhile, but Key West is far more interesting than Key Largo and you don’t want to miss the scenic drive to get to Key West.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:37 AM   #3

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17SD
Florida
Hey Johnny, greetings from Miami. As far as the routing, it depends where you're starting from - eventually you're going to end up on the Turnpike, and stay on it until it dumps you onto US-1 near Homestead. I recommend getting a Sunpass once you get into FL, it saves a lot of time and hassle. It's also cheaper. The transponders are about $5.00.

Personally, I'm not a fan of glass bottom boats. Of course it all depends on weather and conditions, but you may want to book with an operator that takes you out to the reefs so you can actually snorkel rather than look at stuff through an inch of plastic.

Keep in mind that we just had a major hurricane down here, and the further south you go, the more damage you'll encounter. Key Largo to Islamorada was relatively unscathed. If you only have three days, you may want to consider skipping Key West, it's pretty far and traffic can get snarled. It's worth a visit, but takes more than a few hours to scratch through the touristy veneer.

We like to kayak, and I always recommend taking a trip out to Indian Key. Robbie's Marina rents kayaks, it's a 45 minute paddle to I.K. and you can explore the ruins of the old settlement and read about the Indian attack. There's no reef, but there are some rocks nearby with a good fish population.

If conditions are more windy, you can rent kayaks at Pennekamp and paddle around Largo Sound.

The best beaches (imo) are at Bahia Honda, which is pretty far south, and Sombrero Beach in Marathon. The beach at Pennekamp is a bit of a zoo (as is Pennekamp itself at times.)

This is a great time of year, weather has just started to get less humid and the bug population is on the decline. Always good to bring something to spray on your ankles if you're going to be outside at dusk, that's no-see-um time.

Have fun, and feel free to dm me for other recommendations.
DeBreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:58 AM   #4

Name: Jason
Trailer: Egg Camper
Tennessee
Avoiding tolls is possible, depending on which way you drive down there. BUT it makes the drive so much nicer to just suck it up and take the turn pike. $20.66 for 2 axle w/SP, $26.61 w/no SP. $35.14 for 3 axles w/SP, $44.97 w/no SP. 3rd party Calculator

Ditto on SunPass. BTW - when we got ours there was a 24hour delay before it became active. Need to see if that's changed. Also they SunPass toll rate is cheaper than cash. They did start a new system where they just read your plates, but I believe there are extras fees for that service.

I have family heading down from Jupiter (West Palm) to the Keys for turkey day. You will probably see lots of damage in certain areas and almost no damage elsewhere. I would check with chamber of commerce to see if they have a list of what's open and not.

Jason
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:06 AM   #5

Deep South
Yes I have a setting on my GPS to avoid tolls and looked at routes on Google Maps to avoid them as well. Does it add a lot of time to avoid the tolls?
Old 11-14-2017, 10:30 AM   #6

Name: Ralph
Trailer: SCAMP 13
Kentucky
Look into the FERRY.... I think it is from Venice Florida to Key West. I hope to take it the next time we go to the keys. It will shave off many hours of drive time unless you want to drive thru the everglades and the entire route of the Keys. I am not totally sure it will take a camper... so check it out! They say to bring a picnic lunch with you for the trip... I think it is either two or three hours.
Ralph
ralphieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:31 AM   #7

Name: RamblinRick
Trailer: Casita
Kansas
Bahia Honda is the most exquisite state park 2/3 of the way to Key West.
You can stay here and travel for day trips. You can rent boats right there at Sunshine Key.

A little bit of heaven. Go out to Barracuda Reef and snorkel or scuba.
You will find out how the reef got its name.
richardabush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:57 AM   #8

Deep South
I appreciate everyone's input. I checked with the KOA in Key West thinking we might stay an extra day there if a site was available but they are closed until October as they took a direct hit from the Hurricane and are completely rebuilding.

Also for anyone else going to the Keys I found this mile marker info that may be useful:

Mile Marker Chart
Old 11-14-2017, 11:03 AM   #9

Deep South
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardabush View Post
Bahia Honda is the most exquisite state park 2/3 of the way to Key West.
You can stay here and travel for day trips. You can rent boats right there at Sunshine Key.

A little bit of heaven. Go out to Barracuda Reef and snorkel or scuba.
You will find out how the reef got its name.
They didn't have anything open when I checked. I have been checking with the private RV campgrounds and they were pricey to me, so I had been checking with the all the state park campgrounds in the keys frequently looking for a last minute cancellation to open one up and I got one just at the right time at John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park so I grabbed it. Total cost was $135.70 for 3 days or $45.23/day so I was thrilled at that price. I have heard JPCRSP is awesome from a friend but someone else said it was boring, not sure why though.

I seen a preview of the campground on youtube where someone did a review and another that showed each site and I like what I saw.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:03 AM   #10

Name: Tap
Trailer: 2015 17' Casita Independence, 2010 Escape 19’
Florida
Thumbs up Keys

I’ve been in Florida 55 years and to the Keys dozens of times. Do not take I95 from Palm Beach County and southward. Turnpike is worth every dime! You don’t need a sun pass as you will only be hitting the toolboth on way in and way out.

John Pennekamp is fabulous. They have a full and a 1/2 day snorkel trip that will make your entire trip worthwhile. Try and only go on a calm day. Wind makes it hard for you to float/swim and stirs up the sand in the ocean making it harder to see. Other independent operators in the vicinity will also take you out to the reef to snorkel but I have always been happy with the parks trip.

The drive to Key West is a vacation in itself. The views and history are remarkable. There is a guide that gives you a brief history of each key as you drive through them. Great if you have a passenger to read it to you as you drive. Maybe you could pick it up on Amazon?

Key West is an adventure in itself. Maybe you could pick up a night or 2 at Boyd’s Camground right outside of Key West and extend your trip? Or the KOA (pricey) nearby. Would be worth it when you are already so close.

The minimum requirements for a Key West visit are: eat/drink/buy a shirt at Sloppy Joe’s, sunset party at Mallory Square, stroll up Duval Street. Other than those there are SO MANY fun things to do! I could never stay long enough.

There is so much to see and do down there but don’t forget to relax, soak up the sights, and enjoy! Oh and we never eat at chain restaurants when we go down there. There are so many unique independent places to eat.
TappyGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 11:04 AM   #11

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Key West Tours

In Key West, park your car in a car park and take one of the trolly or train tours to get a good overview of what's there.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 11:54 AM   #12

Florida
Great ideas here, but keep in mind that a LOT of things are still closed and/or damaged from Irma. Check ahead, many parks and beaches are still closed, as are many bars and restaurants. Damage is worse the farther south you go, although I'm sure you can still buy a tasteless t-shirt on Duval St.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:35 PM   #13

Name: Janis
Trailer: egg camper 13 ft
Florida
Best if you can be lucky enough to get a spot in one of the state parks. Bahia Honda, Long Key, or Curry Hammock. Sometimes you can luck our by stopping in because they often hold back a coiple of places...which can't be reserved but will take a walk in..Good Luck..enjoy. Also a nice park/ beach. is at the end of Sombrero Rd. In Marathon..between Publix and Winn Dixie shopping center. Jan
Janis Morley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 01:13 PM   #14

Name: Marilyn
Trailer: 13 ft 2005 Scamp Deluxe; 2002 Subaru V6 Outback
Oregon
Key's visit

I've been to John Pennecamp twice to snorkle around off-shore, and both times winds prevented any boat travel so spent time kayaking around mangrove sloughs inside the park.

I've used glass bottom kayaks in NW coastal waters; OK if it's very shallow, but if deep or silted windy water, you'll only see life close to the surface.

Suggest you visit Everglades National Park on your way; you can rent kayaks and canoes - check outfitters online.
M Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 01:53 PM   #15

Name: john
Trailer: Compact Junior
Michigan
it is fun to look for the tiny deer on Big Pine Key....

There is a small strip mall on the main road on Big Pine Key with a shop that is, I believe, state run, and is a welcome center for the big preserve on the island.

they can tell you the best places to spot the tiny deer.
Also a little Chinese restaurant in the little mall..

And a nice place to eat, especially for key lime pie, is Mrs. Mac's Kitchen in Key Largo.

There are two of them, both on the main drag. that's the beauty of the keys, you can't get lost. there is only one "main" drag and it runs for 100 miles.

There is a Mrs. Mac's on both sides of the road, the one on your left as you head west is the big one.

if you do get to Key West it is fun to watch the sunset and watch all the street performers. I think it is called Mallory Square.
john madill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 02:31 PM   #16

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
I don't understand the hold back maybe to cover themselves if they foul up on reservations maybe?

we hit grand canyon one time sign said campgrounds full I couldn't believe it those campgrounds are huge so I drove into one. it wasn't even 25% full I told them about it at the campground they didn't seem bothered at all. I never figured it out! I could just imagine the people who would just drive on and not check!
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 02:47 PM   #17

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janis Morley View Post
Best if you can be lucky enough to get a spot in one of the state parks. Bahia Honda, Long Key, or Curry Hammock. Sometimes you can luck our by stopping in because they often hold back a coiple of places...which can't be reserved but will take a walk in..Good Luck..enjoy. Also a nice park/ beach. is at the end of Sombrero Rd. In Marathon..between Publix and Winn Dixie shopping center. Jan
Long Key - closed
Sombrero Beach - closed (Cocoplum beach is open though)
Old 11-14-2017, 04:34 PM   #18

Name: George
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Registry
Florida Keys

Just a few suggestions: snorkeling at Pennekamp is great. I also love Bia Honda Key State Park (just watch out for the rats that inhabit the Coconut trees). The last few years, I have been staying at the Big Pine Fishing campground (just be sure to check out the Key Deer on No Name Key and the great little bar named after it. Also, the sunset on Key West is not to be missed as is Sloppy Joe's bar. I just think that 3 days for the Keys is not long enough...George from North of the border
jokra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:28 PM   #19

Name: Louise
Trailer: Scamp
Florida
Registry
I lived in the Keys for 20-something years and highly recommend you pay a visit to the FL Keys Wild Bird Rehab Center while you're down there. Address is
93600 Overseas Hwy, Tavernier, Key Largo, FL 33070-2815
+1 305-852-4486
The sanctuary cares for injured, orphaned and rescue birds. The wild bird sancturay is a natural habitat including birds of prey, tropical and sea birds among many other varieties. The Center is an oasis for so many beautiful wild birds, owls as well as parrots. They also have a little walkway behind the bird oasis with beautiful grounds and views showcasing the scenic waters, mangroves, and more birds and ducks walking about. It doesn't cost anything to visit the rehabilitation center, but you can donate in the little donation box up at the front. This is a great stop for all ages.
fiddlesticksfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 09:00 AM   #20

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlesticksfl View Post
I lived in the Keys for 20-something years and highly recommend you pay a visit to the FL Keys Wild Bird Rehab Center while you're down there. Address is
93600 Overseas Hwy, Tavernier, Key Largo, FL 33070-2815
+1 305-852-4486
The sanctuary cares for injured, orphaned and rescue birds. The wild bird sancturay is a natural habitat including birds of prey, tropical and sea birds among many other varieties. The Center is an oasis for so many beautiful wild birds, owls as well as parrots. They also have a little walkway behind the bird oasis with beautiful grounds and views showcasing the scenic waters, mangroves, and more birds and ducks walking about. It doesn't cost anything to visit the rehabilitation center, but you can donate in the little donation box up at the front. This is a great stop for all ages.
^Definitely worthwhile, especially for kids.

Another interesting place is on North Key Largo, there's an abandoned 70's luxury development that was called Port Bougainville. The state bought the land and you can hike through it. The ruins are a bit spooky and the trees and vegetation are like nothing else in the USA.

Tags
eco