Do Casita 16' & 17' have fiberglass undersides - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2009, 08:13 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I am curious about the undersides of the Casita's. Are they molded fiberglass and a "bathtub" design with the vertical walls blending into the floor pan or like the Scamp with a separate chipboard floor?

Thanks,

Tom
Tom Haberski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 06:53 PM   #2

Trailer: Prowler
Tom, they are all molded glass, but still have a wood floor over the bottom of the "tub". Except for holes where plumbing, wiring and fasteners breach the glass, they're all glass. Mc
Mac F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 08:39 PM   #3

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
I wasn't going to answer, not being a Casita owner, but I would imagine they are something like a Boler. In other words, not a true "bathtub" design, like say a Trillium. In the case of the Boler the upper shell is one part (made up of two halves) and then the floor is separate, and is wood core with fiberglass on top and bottom. This floor is then fiberglass tabbed to the shell, a few inches up from the bottom of the shell (which then becomes a "skirt").

I think the differences in Boler clones would be in exactly how they treat said floor, and what it is made out of. I think the Scamp, for example is waferboard with fiberglass resin coating it (but no cloth). Casita may be different but I bet it's a variation on the Boler or Scamp theme and not a molded tub bottom.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 05:14 AM   #4

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
My 2003 Casita Spirt Deluxe is a "bathtub" type design. It has a top half and bottom half. The wood floor is set into the bottom like a bath mat. It's inside a complete tub like bottom.

Every Casita I've seen has been like that.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 05:36 AM   #5

Steve,

Aha! They must have changed the molds from the Boler/Scamp then. Thank you for correcting that!

And just to explain further what I meant, in case anyone is scratching their head now from what I said earlier:

On the Trillium, the underside and the bottom half of the top shell are made in ONE piece right in the mold, so it's a "true" bathtub. The Boler is made in three pieces: Top half of shell, bottom half of shell, and floor. Then the floor is fiberglass tabbed to the lower half of the upper shell, essentially making them one piece once the fiberglass cures, but still not being a "true" molded bathtub, since the floor and lower body shell are initially molded separately.

The Scamp has a non-molded floor (i.e. wood but no molded fiberglass part) but is essentially constructed like the Boler (and some Bolers do not have molded floors, from what I read).

That's why the Boler/Scamp have "skirts" at the bottom, and the Trillium (and Casita, I now learn... my bad!) do not.

All of them (Trillium [1970's are what I know about] and Boler/Scamp have a wood core in the floor though, whether it be fiberglass covered or not (not all trailers, but all of these brands).

Steve, does the Casita have a fiberglass layer tabbed over the wooden floor core?

Thanks again, Steve

Raya
Old 08-22-2009, 06:55 AM   #6

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
My 2003 Casita Spirt Deluxe is a "bathtub" type design. It has a top half and bottom half. The wood floor is set into the bottom like a bath mat. It's inside a complete tub like bottom.

Every Casita I've seen has been like that.
Like Steve L's my 94' Casita SD 16' is the same bathtub design.
Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 09:41 AM   #7

Trailer: 12 ft Chariot (Stealth Egg) and 1987 Casita Liberty Deluxe
My 1987 is also the "bathtub" design
DayTripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 01:12 PM   #8

Again, sorry if I threw anybody off track. Clearly Casita changed the Boler molds somewhat to make a "bathtub" design more like the Trillium.

Good to know

Raya
Old 08-22-2009, 02:02 PM   #9

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
Steve, does the Casita have a fiberglass layer tabbed over the wooden floor core?

Raya
No. The wood is right under the flooring which in my trailer is carpet.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita