Eggcamper owners, a question about bed - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2016, 10:01 PM   #1

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Eggcamper owners, a question about bed

Some years ago, I toured the Eggcamper factory and Jim Palmer showed me a nifty thing he'd come up with. The rear bed platform could be raised up very easily, almost effortlessly, and the best I recall is that it was some sort of cam device that pushed it up like on a ramp. But I can't remember what it looked like anymore. If your Eggcamper came with one of these cam things, I'd love to see some pictures so I can remember how it was set up!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 06:26 AM   #2

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
When we bought ours we had the choice of a convertible dinette in the rear or a permanent bed. We chose the bed. Now have an Escape 19 which gives us a bigger dinette (seats 4) and a full queen bed. Big bonus in the extra two feet. The EggCamper did work well for us except for my adult son having to sleep on the floor because the side dinette was too short for an adult to sleep on.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 07:41 AM   #3

Trailer: Eggcamper 2007 ('Wolf's Lair')
The lift-up section was a fiberglass L shaped piece that had pivot points on both sides about half the distance from front to back and a small hole in the front vertical section where you could lift it up. I removed it in my EggCamper since I had a somewhat heavy mattress that made it difficult to raise it. Since it pivoted in the middle part the rear section would swing down into the under bed compartment limiting the height of totes stored under the bed.

I'll see if I can take a picture of it later today. I still have the piece but have never reinstalled it.
Orlen Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 09:17 AM   #4

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
Here is what the PO did with my egg.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1469978180.822626.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	98096Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1469978231.613239.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	98097

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 07-31-2016, 10:18 AM   #5

Name: Lisa
Trailer: Eggcamper
New York
2013 eggcamper bed

Hi, we have a 2013 EggCamper. We had a choice of full foam mattress or split foam mattress for 2 single beds instead of one big bed and the dinette. We ordered the split mattress and can set it up either way. Usually we just leave the single beds set up and eat outside or on a small folding table inside. We recline on our beds for relaxation/reading. Don't seem to miss the dinette but glad we have it. I don't think they offer any other options now.
Lisa Fingerlakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 12:35 PM   #6

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlen Wolf View Post
The lift-up section was a fiberglass L shaped piece that had pivot points on both sides about half the distance from front to back and a small hole in the front vertical section where you could lift it up. I removed it in my EggCamper since I had a somewhat heavy mattress that made it difficult to raise it. Since it pivoted in the middle part the rear section would swing down into the under bed compartment limiting the height of totes stored under the bed.

I'll see if I can take a picture of it later today. I still have the piece but have never reinstalled it.
Orlen, thanks. That is exactly what I want to see. But I'm sorry to hear that it did not work well with a heavy mattress! How unfortunate. At the time it seemed so nifty to me.
Old 07-31-2016, 02:48 PM   #7

Name: Claire
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
British Columbia
Registry
Hi Mike, We have a permanent bed in our Trillium and we have looked at ways to lift it up easily. Currently we have an axle cap bolted to the underside of the bed and when we need to lift it we slide a stick into the cap and put the other end on the floor and hope we do not hit it. Works fairly well.

Just found this diagram for using a gas spring. Rear Bed Lift

We looked into this idea or the type of hinges they use on beds with under bed storage, but the cost of the hinges is too much for us. - around $300 US.

If you type Bed Lifts into Google Images and scroll down, you will find all kinds of ideas.
Old 07-31-2016, 06:58 PM   #8

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
A number of trailers use Gas Lift Cylinders for lifting the whole bed.

This guy put up a You Tube Video on how he did his after the fact. He purchased the lifts from an RV shop.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 10:56 PM   #9

Oklahoma
Thanks, but I really just am hoping to see that doohickey from Eggcamper that Jim Palmer came up with. Orlen.........?
Old 08-12-2016, 09:12 PM   #10

Trailer: Eggcamper 2007 ('Wolf's Lair')
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Thanks, but I really just am hoping to see that doohickey from Eggcamper that Jim Palmer came up with. Orlen.........?
Sorry it took so long to get back to you. Son-in-law had a heart attack and ended up in the hospital - then another trip to the hospital with a blood clot near his heart - finally a third trip to the hospital with V-tach. He is now home. Had a defibrillator/pacemaker implanted.

Anyway, I have attached two pictures of the bed hatch for the EggCamper. Hope it gives you enough information.

73 Orlen
Attached Thumbnails
EggCamper_Bed_Cabinet_1.jpg   EggCamper_Bed_Cabinet_2.jpg  

Orlen Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 07:45 PM   #11

Oklahoma
Quote:
Sorry it took so long to get back to you. Son-in-law had a heart attack and ended up in the hospital - then another trip to the hospital with a blood clot near his heart - finally a third trip to the hospital with V-tach. He is now home. Had a defibrillator/pacemaker implanted.

Anyway, I have attached two pictures of the bed hatch for the EggCamper. Hope it gives you enough information.

73 Orlen
Oh, my! Blood clots are serious. I hope he recovers quickly and completely!

Thanks very much for the pictures, I do remember it now! I've saved the pix to my computer. Hmm, interesting, moving the pivot point forward could lift more weight but at the expense of height and perhaps of impingement upon items stored below. I guess it really is for light lifting only.
Old 08-29-2016, 12:45 PM   #12

Name: Crystal
Trailer: 2008 Fun FinderX 160, wanted Eggcamper all electric
Michigan
Quote:

73 Orlen
How big is this and would you sell it to someone that wanted to buy if not using? Just curious....or maybe you have already. Sorry to hear about your son's health but blad he is doing better, praise God!!

Tags
eggcamper