'73 Boler - Where to get a new frame, etc? (Lower Mainland, BC) - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Modifications, Alterations and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-10-2015, 09:23 PM   #1

Name: Jason
Trailer: '73 Boler
British Columbia
'73 Boler - Where to get a new frame, etc? (Lower Mainland, BC)

I live in the Lower Mainland, BC, with a completely original '73 Boler that is in need of a new frame and other attention.

Found Vancouver Axle & Frame but am looking for suggestions for other frame fabricators in the region. Talked to E&H Hitch, but their ballpark price was on the high side.

As the Boler needs a major overhaul (new frame, axle, brakes, fibreglass repairs, new paint job, interior) I would be interested to know if there are any "full service" shops out there? The Egg Plant in Oregon seemed like the place to go, but they don't appear to exist any more. Does anyone have experience with Bolerworks in Calgary? (Their website is a bit sparse.)

Esacpe Trailer Industries can apparently do some repairs, but cannot make a new frame.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations.
Obelisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 03:06 AM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Jason welcome to FGRV. Can't tell you anything about frame shops in your area as I am in So Calif. But I would think any good welding shop could fab up a copy of your frame. An RV shop may not be the best place to go for that. I'm sure there will be some folks along soon with better info for you.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 01:27 PM   #3

Name: Claire
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
British Columbia
Registry
Welcome Jason. Carol will be on soon. She coordinates BC Glass Eggs Fiberglass Trailer Meet-ups on Facebook. They are based on the lower mainland. If you post there you will probably find local help.

Old 06-11-2015, 01:50 PM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Well, I was going to suggest Jason talk with Escape as they do most of the axle replacements and other repairs for many of the boler owners and other fiberglasss trailers owners in the area.... but I see he may have already talked with them & doing a major frame rebuild for him is not something they are doing these days. Suspect (or at least it looks to me) that they have a space issue at the shop so they probable do not want to have trailers in for repairs sitting around the yard to long. So most likely sticking to repair jobs they can do a fast turn around on. Axles and brakes and other minor stuff are done pretty fast by them & very reasonable priced. A total frame and interior rebuild etc would not be a a fast in and out project for them.

I don't think you will find a place that will do ALL the items listed in one location here in BC that I know of. Or if there was you would probable be paying a LOT of money for it.

You may find its cheapest to have a welding shop do the frame for you and find folks who do the other bits - such as a boat yard for the fiberglass repair and interior redo. But at this time of year they are also very busy and you will be paying a pretty penny to have them do it all for you. Once you get a new frame and axle on it the outside repair and inside redo might be something to shop around the boat builders to see if any will do it over the winter months when they are often looking for work.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 01:57 PM   #5

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk View Post
Talked to E&H Hitch, but their ballpark price was on the high side.
E&H are experienced guys.... I have had then do some stuff for me in the past, a bit surprised their price was on the high side. Who's price are you comparing it with ? AS E&H are in town I would though expect you might find better pricing out in the valley away from the high rent district though ;-)

You may also want to call Burnaby Hitch and ask them who they recommend for a frame welding job .... although I suspect they will say E&H. They may know someone out in the valley as well.
Old 06-11-2015, 02:29 PM   #6

Registry
Jason, I forgot to mention if you can get the trailer down to Similey's in Mount Vernon they also know what they are doing and will no doubt help you with the frame and axle issues at least. Was a good deal there when exchange at par but not so sure currently. I can only tell you that they were able to help me out for a quick repair I needed on one trip that Camping World was not able/did not know how to/or did not have the parts for the repair, due to the size of my trailer.
Old 06-11-2015, 08:21 PM   #7

British Columbia
Starting with the frame then

Thanks everyone for your feedback.

We'll investigate options up the valley and see what's what. Perhaps Escape can recommend somewhere too.

I guess we'll look at just getting the frame fabricated first. Any thoughts regarding steel verses aluminium? Steel is cheaper and more resistant to stress, but aluminium won't rust? They weigh about the same?
Old 06-11-2015, 09:22 PM   #8

Registry
Jason did you see the post today Boler Frame - someone in Coquitlam has one for sale. Sounds like he is having a new one built as well - perhaps he can give you some leads also.
Old 06-12-2015, 08:36 PM   #9

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Jason did you see the post today Boler Frame - someone in Coquitlam has one for sale. Sounds like he is having a new one built as well - perhaps he can give you some leads also.
Hi Carol,

I didn't see that - thanks for pointing it out. I've PM'd Wayne to ask where he's having his done. Will follow up on this thread.

Regards.
Old 06-19-2015, 03:34 PM   #10

Name: David
Trailer: 1973 Boler 1300
British Columbia
Axle replacement

Cannot help you with the frame but I had a good experience with Pacific Axle in Langley, BC getting a new axle with brakes fabricated. This thread documents the job along with some pictures.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ent-68899.html

Good luck with your rebuild!
greenghost45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler