83 Scamp 16 - Galley impoverments - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2015, 10:22 AM   #1

Name: Steve
Trailer: 03 Tacoma pulling 83 Scamp 16
Colorado
83 Scamp 16 - Galley impoverments

Faux metal back wall for galley area installed https://flic.kr/p/xypJm5
...now doing other side will post more pics when finished.

Window coverings next up!

My 83 Scamp-16 Album: https://flic.kr/s/aHsk5TvKMp

Cheers, Steve -Monument, CO
scampersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 05:59 PM   #2

Colorado
For the small windows in galley area I used some Reflectix (foil bubble-wrap insulation from Depot) attaching it with 3M velcro fasteners. Stows behind seat cushions when not in use. Actually I did the same for all the windows. Took out the ugly dark brown curtains.

Wife doesn't like it ...says looks too industrial! But it provides complete privacy at night, blocks daytime sun and heat and in late season provides some night time insulation and is great for winter storage. What's not to like?

At least the LED lighting, Allure flooring, wood cutting board and metallic back splash were highly approved. ...may make some Reflectix wheel covers for winter storage keeping the VU off the tires.

pics: https://flic.kr/p/wUUzux

Cheers, Steve in Monuemnt, CO
Old 08-26-2015, 09:53 PM   #3

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
I checked out your photos. You've done some interesting modifications. How did you make the support for the rock guard? I notice the poles have a hooked end which fits the guard clasps.

I've attached sample photos of my window coverings which I change out with almost every trip! Themes include; wine country, desert, the alps, tropics, south of the border, etc. To block out light I have a length of Roc-Lon blackout fabric used for lining curtains (available at most fabric stores such as JoAnn's) Roc-LonĀ® Budget BlackoutĀ® Flame Resistant White | Jo-Ann . I sew a channel (hem) at the top and bottom. I run a dowel (or tent pole) cut to size to extend over the curtain rod supports. Basically, I pull down the "shade" at night or in transit and roll it up when I want sun to shine in. You could run a dowel or tent pole through the bottom channel or sew hook and loop (Velcro) to it if you have "rat fur" on the walls.I chose not to line my curtains with black out because I like the sunlight to filter through my translucent fabric curtains.
Attached Thumbnails
Lodi Wine Tasting July 2015 067.jpg   SCAMP Interior October 2011 010.jpg  

SCAMP Interior October 2011 021.jpg   SCAMP Southwest Decor 2013 006.jpg  

Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 11:33 AM   #4

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp 13(sold!) & TDI tugboat
Ohio
Steve, how is the foil stuff attached to wall over elephant hide?

Sink side of galley with metallic back splash by Boo & Peanut, on Flickr
Old 08-28-2015, 08:06 AM   #5

Colorado
Do not use the MFGR's suggested double stick tape that they sell ($11/roll). It's useless on the elephant hide. The elephant hide just doesn't provide any flat surface area to stick anything to ...so I used 3M permanent spray adhesive ...and it's sorta working after several applications. We'll see if that holds?! If I were to do it again and I may have to I'd use contact cement glue! ...Steve
Old 08-28-2015, 09:30 AM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
83 Scamp 16 - Galley impoverments

Quote:
Originally Posted by scampersteve View Post
For the small windows in galley area I used some Reflectix (foil bubble-wrap insulation from Depot) attaching it with 3M velcro fasteners. Stows behind seat cushions when not in use. Actually I did the same for all the windows. Took out the ugly dark brown curtains.

Wife doesn't like it ...says looks too industrial! But it provides complete privacy at night, blocks daytime sun and heat and in late season provides some night time insulation and is great for winter storage. What's not to like?...

Could you cover the exposed side with fabric... your wife's choosing, of course?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 09:33 AM   #7

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
[QUOTE=scampersteve;544501]For the small windows in galley area I used some Reflectix (foil bubble-wrap insulation from Depot) attaching it with 3M velcro fasteners. Stows behind seat cushions when not in use. Actually I did the same for all the windows. Took out the ugly dark brown curtains.

Wife doesn't like it ...says looks too industrial! But it provides complete privacy at night, blocks daytime sun and heat and in late season provides some night time insulation and is great for winter storage. What's not to like?

/QUOTE]

When I redid the curtains on my Scamp I lined them with a light weight thermal window lining fabric available at most large fabric stores. It comes in various thicknesses. It has a very light plastic type coating (still feels like cloth material though) on the side that goes against the window to prevent the curtains from soaking up condensation & prevent mold from forming on the curtains & I have noted it does have some thermo benefits in cool weather. It also helps to give the curtains a bit more stiffness for a more finished/neat look when hanging and blocks out light - just make sure you make the curtains large enough that they sit a couple of inches above & below the top an the bottom of the window frame as well as the sides & 3x the width of the window so you have enough material to pull them together tightly (they are not pulled tight in the picture but they do close so no light comes through the middle).
Attached Thumbnails
small_DSC0020_01.jpg  
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 09:51 AM   #8

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post

When I redid the curtains on my Scamp I lined them with a light weight thermal window lining fabric available at most large fabric stores. It comes in various thicknesses. It has a very light plastic type coating (still feels like cloth material though) on the side that goes against the window to prevent the curtains from soaking up condensation & prevent mold from forming on the curtains & I have noted it does have some thermo benefits in cool weather.
Carol,
I've been thinking of making new curtains for our Scamp over the winter, but was actually concerned about the lining soaking up condensation. After seeing yours and reading your review, I clicked your link and now I'm excited to move forward. One question for you, though. The on-line reviews say that it wrinkles easily and one can't iron it. Do find this to be true for your curtains? Thank you!
Emily
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 10:23 AM   #9

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by emij View Post
Carol,
I've been thinking of making new curtains for our Scamp over the winter, but was actually concerned about the lining soaking up condensation. After seeing yours and reading your review, I clicked your link and now I'm excited to move forward. One question for you, though. The on-line reviews say that it wrinkles easily and one can't iron it. Do find this to be true for your curtains? Thank you!
Emily
Emily the liners comes in many different types and weights and how much plastic is in them depends on which product you choose.

The one I used felt very much like cloth but with a bit of shine to it on the side that goes against the window - so there is not much plastic in it - just enough to keep it from taking on condensation & to give it some thermo & black out properties. It came of a big roll so there were no wrinkles to iron out of the liner at the time I sewed the curtains but I have since washed the curtains but I also used a home decorating fabric as recommended by the fabric shop that was not 100% cotton so it was stiff enough to hang properly and to avoid fading from sunlight. Due to the fabric choose and the lining I ironed them on a very low setting after washing on the fabric side only (although they were not very wrinkled after washing) and they came out fine. Have not had them wrinkle at all due to usage.
Old 08-28-2015, 10:26 AM   #10

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Emily the liners comes in many different types and weights and how much plastic is in them depends on which product you choose.

The one I used felt very much like cloth but with a bit of shine to it on the side that goes against the window - so there is not much plastic in it - just enough to keep it from taking on condensation & to give it some thermo & black out properties. It came of a big roll so there were no wrinkles to iron out of the liner at the time I sewed the curtains but I have since washed the curtains but I also used a home decorating fabric as recommended by the fabric shop that was not 100% cotton so it was stiff enough to hang properly and to avoid fading from sunlight. Due to the fabric choose and the lining I ironed them on a very low setting after washing on the fabric side only (although they were not very wrinkled after washing) and they came out fine. Have not had them wrinkle at all due to usage.
Fantastic! Thanks for the information! Just what I needed to know to move forward!
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 11:17 AM   #11

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by emij View Post
Fantastic! Thanks for the information! Just what I needed to know to move forward!
Just be warned that while cotton fabric is not expensive and comes in come great patterns they may not be the best choose for curtains in the trailer.

Cotton absorbs moisture and odours. As a result it will take longer to dry out a trailer with cotton curtains after a night of heavy condensation - yes the material on the inside of the trailer will absorb moisture - not just the side against the window. Cotton will also need to be washed more frequently due to absorption of moisture and odours. Cotton is subject to fading more in sunlight and washing. Cotton will also require far more ironing after laundering than a bit heavier material with low cotton content.

So while it may be cheaper to sew with cotton, in in the long run you will find you need to replace the curtains more frequently to keep that nice bright crisp new look.

Tags
scamp