Tilted A/c unit - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2015, 09:56 PM   #1

Name: Ray
Trailer: Escape 19’ (had Scamp 16’)
Colorado
Tilted A/c unit

We purchased our 2005 Scamp 16' last year. We are 98% sure original owner purchased new with A/C, but the A/C unit is visibly off kilter. The curb side is higher than the other side. Looking at top of roof, there is no roof sag. Took off interior cover and found unit appears to be quite securely mounted in a square metal frame. It appears that the unit was just mounted at a bit of an angle. Any one else noticed this? Is it any big deal? Manual says it can be plus or minus 7 degrees off level. It's probably close to that limit, but the one trip that we used it, it worked just fine.
ColoradoSwany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 10:39 PM   #2

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
Perhaps it allows it to drain better.
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 11:16 PM   #3

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
If it's not broke don't fix it
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 08:28 AM   #4

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
I agree, I believe that was done intentionally to help water drain & to prevent water seeping in around the opening, I have a Boler and the PO put one on it without the tilt and nothing under it but some plywood and water had rotten away the wood so it was pretty obvious the condensation was not draining correctly and once the wood rotten away the roof began to sag...
Johnny M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 08:52 AM   #5

Name: Ray
Trailer: Escape 19’ (had Scamp 16’)
Colorado
Thanks for the reassurances. I'll try to stop being such a worrier!
ColoradoSwany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 09:15 AM   #6
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
On the new dometic air conditioner we are using on the HC1 it allows for a 15 degree angle which is great for us as the roof is 13 degrees and great for runoff it also allows us to put most of the weight on the back of the roof edge were it is the strongest win win
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 03:55 PM   #7

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Roof a/c units are usually mounted on a 1" to 2" thick pad that is compressible. I would suggest looking under the a/c unit from the front and back and see if that pad has been compressed into a wedge shape. If so you have two choices: You can remove the inside section and use the tie-down rids to pull it down to level or you can just get a new sealing pad.

If it is pulled down to one side, the higher side will be more prone to leakage, so I wouldn't just leave it as-is if that is the case.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp