Cassette Toilet in Oliver TT - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2016, 03:44 PM   #21

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Had a Porta Potti at my cabin. Sold the cabin and left the devil behind.
Never want to see another one again.
Emptying a black tank doesn't require you to stick your head almost in the toilet.
............and exactly what country were those directions printed in???
Old 06-10-2016, 08:27 PM   #22

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
I think it would be far easier for Oliver to delete the toilet and leave space for a free-standing porta potti...
I agree. Oliver would be more than happy to NOT install a toilet. I would, however, insist that they install the black tank and plumbing during the build (could not be done after the fact without cutting some fiberglass) for the next owner. I expect that the pool of prospective future owners that wanted a trailer as expensive as an Oliver WITH a bathroom but WITHOUT a toilet would be rather shallow. At least this way you could have a toilet installed.
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 10:05 PM   #23

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Yep, should be easy to cap off the drain at floor level.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 10:21 PM   #24

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
I totally agree with you Mike. A black tank is useful when stationed at a site with full hookups for a good amount of time and you have a large family that will use the toilet big time.
I rarely use hook ups and have no issues with having a black tank & I do not need to move the trailer in order to dump it any more than I need to move it to dump the grey water. Simple to empty it into a portable tank and take it and dump it as you would a cassette toilet & your portable grey water tank.

For those who do not have large families and who have black tanks and do not use full hook ups you can get away without needing to empty the tanks for a number of days regardless.

As a side note rumour has it that one of the first changes Airstream will be changing on the Nest trailer is changing it over to a standard toilet with a black holding tank.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 06:50 AM   #25

Name: Diane
Trailer: 2015 Lil Snoozy
Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
I rarely use hook ups and have no issues with having a black tank & I do not need to move the trailer in order to dump it any more than I need to move it to dump the grey water. Simple to empty it into a portable tank and take it and dump it as you would a cassette toilet & your portable grey water tank.

For those who do not have large families and who have black tanks and do not use full hook ups you can get away without needing to empty the tanks for a number of days regardless.

As a side note rumour has it that one of the first changes Airstream will be changing on the Nest trailer is changing it over to a standard toilet with a black holding tank.
Interesting about the Nest. I had communicated with Mr. Johans quite a bit when he first introduced the Nest. Loved the trailer but, at that time, I believe he offered a marine port-a-potty. I wonder what else AS will change????
Bernese Bunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 10:21 AM   #26
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Why not just un-install the toilet, then cap the hole and water supply and cover with a base for a casette toilet?

When the rig is up for resale just put the stuff back in place.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 07:51 AM   #27

Name: Bill
North Carolina
The Oliver is our first camper with a built in toilet. We used a port a potti with our previous camper to prevent middle of the night pee trips to the campground rest room so we wouldn't run into skunks or bears. Use the Oliver toilet the same way.

When we visited the Lil'Snoozy plant, first time seeing a cassette toilet and electric appliance camper. Good ideas, too. We started using electric appliances to cook with in our previous camper, after seeing the Lil'Snoozy.

Here's another travel trailer with cassette toilet, Bowlus Road Chief, it's way out of our price range, but fun to look at:

Overview - Bowlus Road Chief

Not familiar with how difficult it is to drain tanks with other campers. Found the Oliver tank drain system to be easy and quick to use. The drain hose is connected to drain pipe and stored in the bumper assembly for easy access. For now we drain the tanks at dump stations.

Will eventually have a small tank to connect to the drain hose, to dump small tank in restroom toilet when a dump station is not available. Need to to work out small tank with connecting fitting. The small tank will be stored in rear our pickup with shell.
Old 06-17-2016, 08:13 AM   #28

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I find cleaning the three toilets in my sticks 'n bricks more disgusting than emptying either blackwater tank in my trailers. Far easier to let gravity do the work than my head practically in the bowl and hanging on to a brush. But, still need to clean the bowl no matter if you have a built in toilet system, porta-potty or a cassette.

You can never miss what you've never had. Have flushing systems in both trailers, never going to something else. And I've done the peeing in the bush thing while backpacking to sitting on a bucket with a liner. No thanks. I've earned better, I deserve it. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 11:14 AM   #29

Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamperBill View Post
The Oliver is our first camper with a built in toilet. We used a port a potti with our previous camper to prevent middle of the night pee trips to the campground rest room so we wouldn't run into skunks or bears. Use the Oliver toilet the same way.

When we visited the Lil'Snoozy plant, first time seeing a cassette toilet and electric appliance camper. Good ideas, too. We started using electric appliances to cook with in our previous camper, after seeing the Lil'Snoozy.

Here's another travel trailer with cassette toilet, Bowlus Road Chief, it's way out of our price range, but fun to look at:

Overview - Bowlus Road Chief

Not familiar with how difficult it is to drain tanks with other campers. Found the Oliver tank drain system to be easy and quick to use. The drain hose is connected to drain pipe and stored in the bumper assembly for easy access. For now we drain the tanks at dump stations.

Will eventually have a small tank to connect to the drain hose, to dump small tank in restroom toilet when a dump station is not available. Need to to work out small tank with connecting fitting. The small tank will be stored in rear our pickup with shell.
Ha, ha, ha, ha! Bowlus, indeed! It's like a big, fancy Snoozy but with a big, fancy price tag. And....look at all the rivets you get for $137K.
However, I like your idea to "convert" the hose to something more manageable. In effect, you would by-pass the black tank and the stinky slinky to go directly to the small tank? I'd be very interested in your solution. Thanks so much.
Old 06-17-2016, 11:16 AM   #30

Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernese Bunch View Post
Ha, ha, ha, ha! Bowlus, indeed! It's like a big, fancy Snoozy but with a big, fancy price tag. And....look at all the rivets you get for $137K.
However, I like your idea to "convert" the hose to something more manageable. In effect, you would by-pass the black tank and the stinky slinky to go directly to the small tank? I'd be very interested in your solution. Thanks so much.
Oh, yeah, Bill. Another one with cassette is Barefoot Caravan - Barefoot Caravans. Currently in UK only but coming to US in spring 2017.
Old 06-17-2016, 11:17 AM   #31

Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I find cleaning the three toilets in my sticks 'n bricks more disgusting than emptying either blackwater tank in my trailers. Far easier to let gravity do the work than my head practically in the bowl and hanging on to a brush. But, still need to clean the bowl no matter if you have a built in toilet system, porta-potty or a cassette.

You can never miss what you've never had. Have flushing systems in both trailers, never going to something else. And I've done the peeing in the bush thing while backpacking to sitting on a bucket with a liner. No thanks. I've earned better, I deserve it. YMMV
We all have our preferences. Thanks for your insight.
Old 06-18-2016, 05:50 AM   #32

North Carolina
Quote:
In effect, you would by-pass the black tank and the stinky slinky to go directly to the small tank?
We plan to keep the complete black/grey drain system intact that the Ollie came with. It's easy for us to use at dump stations. We like having the city water connection, fresh water tank, grey water tank and black water tank. Will use all of the existing Ollie systems except when camping at the following type of campground.

One of our favorite campgrounds does not have dump station with no way to dump tanks between the campground and home. This campground has nice restroom/shower facilities. We can camp without generating grey water at this type of campground and only use the camper toilet to prevent middle of the night pee trips to the campground restroom. Will find a small portable tank, less than 5 gallons, to connect to existing Ollie black/grey tank drain hose, that normally connects to dump station. Keep a gallon jug of water to flush the toilet with, so fresh water tank will not be filled. Will dump small portable tank daily in the campground restroom toilet.
Old 06-21-2016, 05:31 PM   #33

Name: John
Trailer: Shopping
Washington
Quote:
We can camp without generating grey water at this type of campground and only use the camper toilet to prevent middle of the night pee trips to the campground restroom. Will find a small portable tank, less than 5 gallons, to connect to existing Ollie black/grey tank drain hose, that normally connects to dump station. Keep a gallon jug of water to flush the toilet with, so fresh water tank will not be filled. Will dump small portable tank daily in the campground restroom toilet.
That will certainly work as long as it is _just_ pee ... But it sure sounds like a lot of work. Why not use a wide mouthed bottle and pee directly into that? The lady can use an adapter and a baby wipe to clean up.

https://www.amazon.com/Freshette-LIB...ords=freshette

Tent campers have been doing this forever and it works fine. It's a lot less work than your method. The big advantage is that your gal will now have a cool tool to use when away from a facility, like on a long hike in the woods.

John Davies
Spokane WA
John E Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 06:48 PM   #34

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by John E Davies View Post
That will certainly work as long as it is _just_ pee ... But it sure sounds like a lot of work. Why not use a wide mouthed bottle and pee directly into that? The lady can use an adapter and a baby wipe to clean up.

https://www.amazon.com/Freshette-LIB...ords=freshette

John Davies
Spokane WA
Appreciate the concern, but it's not too much work for me!
Old 06-23-2016, 01:33 PM   #35

North Carolina
Quote:
In effect, you would by-pass the black tank and the stinky slinky to go directly to the small tank? I'd be very interested in your solution. Thanks so much.
Posted earlier in this thread:

"We plan to keep the complete black/grey drain system intact that the Ollie came with. It's easy for us to use at dump stations. We like having the city water connection, fresh water tank, grey water tank and black water tank. Will use all of the existing Ollie systems except when camping at the following type of campground.

One of our favorite campgrounds does not have dump station with no way to dump tanks between the campground and home. This campground has nice restroom/shower facilities. We can camp without generating grey water at this type of campground and only use the camper toilet to prevent middle of the night pee trips to the campground restroom. Keep a gallon jug of water to flush the toilet with, so fresh water tank will not be filled". Will dump small portable tank daily in the campground restroom toilet".

Will be using Ollie toilet & black tank system:

Takes 45 seconds to set up and 45 seconds to knock down daily. The previous owner gave us PVC tube cut in half to support the grey/black tanks drain hose. The red hose is always connected inside of the bumper assembly to grey/black tanks drain and stored inside of bumper assembly, too. Found a 10 quart tank for $7.

Old 06-24-2016, 10:10 AM   #36

Name: John
Trailer: Shopping
Washington
Quote:

Do you have any leakage issues? Do you dump your black tank in there???? When used as an oil drain pan, as it is intended, it often leaks like crazy and pisses off the buyers. Check the reviews:

https://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-FloTo.../dp/B00004X13X

Otherwise, I quite like your solution, tho I would probably use a 36 inch length of 3/4" garden hose instead of the Big Stinky for just gray water, without the support piece... so you could tuck the pan out of the way under the trailer. But your big half-pipe makes for a great all around black water dump support, since you have a place to store it.

Have you thought about using one or two regular AquaTainers for gray water, like this interesting setup?

As the first jug fills up, the excess flows into the second. That way you can switch jugs to empty one, while still having the second attached to the trailer. They are translucent so you can see the water level easily. They are much harder to store than a small pan.

John Davies
Spokane WA
John E Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 02:50 PM   #37

North Carolina
Picked the tank up at the local WalMart earlier this week. Saw the reviews after buying it. Will see how it works out.

Have not considered handling grey water with tanks. When we saw a Lil'Snoozy at their manufacturing plant, liked many of the ideas used including the Cassette Toilet.

We're happy with the thought put into Ollie systems, just wanted to resolve the dump station issue at a campground we hike at quite a bit.

Best Regards,
Old 06-24-2016, 03:01 PM   #38

Delaware
Quote:
Picked the tank up at the local WalMart earlier this week. Saw the reviews after buying it. Will see how it works out.

Have not considered handling grey water with tanks. When we saw a Lil'Snoozy at their manufacturing plant, liked many of the ideas used including the Cassette Toilet.

We're happy with the thought put into Ollie systems, just wanted to resolve the dump station issue at a campground we hike at quite a bit.

Best Regards,
ingenious! Some good thoughts, there! Thanks
Old 06-24-2016, 04:27 PM   #39

North Carolina
Quote:
ingenious! Some good thoughts, there! Thanks
Thanks! It's fun to come up with ideas to eventually overcome problems, even simple problems. There's always bumps along the way, that's part of the fun!
Old 06-25-2016, 01:03 AM   #40

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by John E Davies View Post
Do you have any leakage issues? Do you dump your black tank in there???? When used as an oil drain pan, as it is intended, it often leaks like crazy and pisses off the buyers.

Applied plumbers silicone grease to the threads of the top cap and mating surface allowing the cap to fully thread on and seal.

No leakage with the container turned upside down containing water!!!!!! The container is a handy size and weight to handle while dumping in a toilet daily.

Tags
oliver