Camp Chef stove and oven inside Scamp? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-29-2013, 07:27 AM   #21

Name: Shawn
Trailer: Boler
Florida
I called the Camp Chef Co and has they stated" not for indoor use" and the number reason is of the high BTU's ! They said it has higher BTU's than your reg camper stoves and ovens and even your home ovens. Given the fact of the small sq footage of a camper you can be in danger. I also asked them if they would ever use them in their camper? She said she has a 25 ft camper and there would be no way she would use one in her camper.
This is just a warning people. Do what ever you feel safe in doing. I also thought of this ideal and after reading up on facts, I (I) would not use one in a small space. If I were to use one in a small space I would take caution when doing so. These units heat up pretty good so has another egg head put it, leave space all around it and having a vent over it would be a smart thing.
ShawnKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:31 AM   #22

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Could also just use it outside...Im thinking of buying their oven model, just to be able to bake some fresh bread or muffins or something when camping with a group... great smell to wake up to in the am, and could sit it easily on a table with a hose to your propane tanks. Portable Outdoor Oven | Camp Chef

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:43 AM   #23
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Interesting comments ... the Camp Chef stove burners are rated at 7,500 BTUs

Atwood RV Range uses (2) 6,500 BTU and (1) 9,000 BTU burners
Amana RV Range uses (2) 6,500-BTU and (1) 9,100-BTU burner
Both these common built-in RV stoves have burners that have a higher output than the Camp Chef

Home ranges use burners from 5,000 and up 19,000 BTU, most average out at 9,000-12,000 BTU again higher than the Camp Chef

I agree that everyone should do what they feel comfortable using, any open flame in an enclosed space poses risks and as I mentioned make sure a window is open and the appliance is attended at all times.

Looking at the warnings associated with most products these days it appears lawyers provide much of the content to the product literature, the 16 page Atwood Range manual contains 21 multi-bullet warnings, danger and cautions. If I was concerned I would never use that stove either.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:58 AM   #24

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
I can attest to the fact that home burners are much hotter than those on the Camp Chef- and for that matter on any stove designed for an RV. This is something that's always bugged me, and if I could figure out a way to "transplant" those on my home stove to the trailer I'd be a happier camper...

Since the Camp Chef appears to work on the interior trailer gas supply, my main concern with interior installation after air supply/heat shielding would be the plumbing. The rubber hoses typically used for portable appliances aren't approved for permanent installation in a trailer (or anywhere), so I'd hope that copper or black iron pipe would be used in this kind of an install.

If portability/easy removal for outside use is wanted, one could hard-plumb a quick disconnect at the stove and use the rubber hose, provided that it isn't left hooked up when not in active use.

Thanks for posting on this subject, Ian- it's answered a lot of questions that have been in my mind since this stove first came out!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 12:51 PM   #25
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Since the Camp Chef appears to work on the interior trailer gas supply, my main concern with interior installation after air supply/heat shielding would be the plumbing. The rubber hoses typically used for portable appliances aren't approved for permanent installation in a trailer (or anywhere), so I'd hope that copper or black iron pipe would be used in this kind of an install.
Francesca
Good point and I agree. My installation is with copper lines with gas approved fittings ... no rubber here.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:02 PM   #26

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G. View Post
Good point and I agree. My installation is with copper lines with gas approved fittings ... no rubber here.
I guessed you probably had, Ian...just thought it was worth mentioning in case others possibly interested in doing something similar mistakenly presumed otherwise.

Francesca
Old 05-29-2013, 02:58 PM   #27

Florida
Well use your common sense. What does your common sense tell you about the difference between your propane camp stove and your propane kitchen stove, and the propane stove inside an RV. Then take into account the effects of liability rulings in the US over the last 100 years and determine for yourself how you act regarding ignoring the warnings printed on cooking apparatus designated as use outdoors only. Doing something that is potentially dangerous simply because some unseen person on the internet says it's ok is the dumbest reason for doing anything that I can think of.
My names is Hank Hill and I sell propane and propane accessories. Dammit Bobby!
Old 05-29-2013, 02:59 PM   #28

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnKK View Post
I can read Brian!
Where did that come from? I'm sure everyone here can read and I certainly didn't suggest otherwise.

Quote:
My Mr Buddy heater has a built-in oxygen sensor
That's good... and entirely irrelevant to how cleanly it burns under normal air conditions.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 03:01 PM   #29

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Doing something that is potentially dangerous simply because some unseen person on the internet says it's ok is the dumbest reason for doing anything that I can think of.
I agree!
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:04 PM   #30

Florida
Where did that come from?
Really? The egg head asked about the CC stove that has a warning not to use indoors! And your acting like oh, it is ok. Why do you think they put a warning sign on it? Do you know more than they do? Your first thing you should say is, There is a warning sign saying not to but I say ...
If they went with your internet word and not the CC company word and something happen would you feel bad? Would you care?
And to try to "Be-little me" for going with the warning signs on the stove really @!#$&%$( me off. I have no problem to give an answer the company would give. If I step out of the rules from the company I would back it up with fact but yet say read and follow what the company says. Just because you or me said it is ok I been doing it all my life does not make it right. So yes, I get a bit PO when I read a reply like yours. Stop and think, if something did happen to the OP or kids in the camper while using the stove how would you feel?
I am not here to piss you off or anyone else but warning labels are there for a reason. And yes hot coffee may burn. If the OP wants to go ahead and install the stove in their camper after you tell him remember the warning label, you did all you can do. I am not say they shouldn't install it but I will say the company that makes that stove say not to. I love the stove and I have one. I also have 2 little kids and I wouldnt want to put them in harms way.
Warning labels were put on for a reason. As I stated, I called the company because I wanted the OP to know how the company feels about doing what they asked about. Now if they install it or not is up to them. But I feel good telling them the facts.
I am not trying to come down on you or Ian but please do not over ride a warning when someone asks if they should or could. Sorry if this post or my other post came off wrong but I will not back down on any warning when any kid or a family member might or could be in danger. I hope you do not feel like I was coming down on you. I too am a egg head.......
Old 05-29-2013, 04:22 PM   #31

Trailer: 82 Burro
Last year Costco offered the Camp Chef for $160 plus $40 rebate and being a life long fan of the Easy-Bake Oven I had to have one. I've used the oven about 10 times. I can't get the oven to maigntain a constant high temperature. If you wait long enough the oven will heat up to 400 degrees. However, when you open the door and shove in a dish the oven will drop to 325 degrees. If you hold your mouth just right it may crawl up to 350. I generally camp between 8,000' and 11,000' and perhaps the altitude is why the low temp. I bought Fat Daddios bakeware from Amazon to use in it which are small and work quite well.

As long as you're not intending on baking a chicken and stay with smaller things you'll be happy with the oven. Don't shove in a 9 x 13 lasagna and think it will ever bake thoroughly. As for the big question, "Would I use this inside my Burro?" my answer is no. I enjoy cooking outside and I was raised to be compliant.
Shirley LaMoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:46 PM   #32

Name: Norm I want to thank all the Kings horses and all the Kings men
Trailer: 73 Scamp 13'
Oregon
You know what would scare me? Living in Florida with all the hurricanes and alligators.
Ngrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:13 AM   #33

Trailer: LittleGuy Classic Teardrop ('Baby Osmo') (Previously 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe)
There are two distinct mind-sets at work here, and the differences between the two can cause some real tension. This comes up any time you discuss tow-vehicle ratings, towing speeds, tire types or inflations, need for brakes, and now, indoor use of outdoor appliances.

The other side of this question is the outdoor use of indoor appliances. Have you ever plugged in an electric drill or saw and used it outdoors? Better read the manual -- that tool is rated for indoor use only.

Yes, warning labels exist for a reason. Two reasons, actually -- one is to protect us from our own stupidity (our own ignorance, really. Stupid will do what stupid wants, regardless of the warnings). Sometimes by having our ignorance reduced, we can take suitable precautions and get on with it. The second is to protect the manufacturer from lawsuits. So, yes the warnings are usually a bit over-the-top, exaggerating a risk that is nonetheless real.

In all of these discussions, I am reminded of the guy who jumped off the top of a 30-story building. All the way down, he kept saying, "So far, so good..."
Mr. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 05:52 AM   #34

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Warning labels are to serve when common sense is left at the curb.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:15 AM   #35

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul E Henning View Post

In all of these discussions, I am reminded of the guy who jumped off the top of a 30-story building. All the way down, he kept saying, "So far, so good..."
I think this is true of trailer camping in general. I never realized the extreme dangers until I got here.
  • Nearly certain towing accidents, especially in Colorado
  • Carbon monoxide
  • Battery hydrogen explosions
  • Wiring shorts causing fires
  • Propane explosions
  • Oxygen depletion
  • Burns and fires from cooking
  • Frames breaking
  • Wheels falling off
  • Tires, tires, tires
  • Brake failures

Now when others tell me of their skydiving or motorcycle racing exploits, I just puff out my chest and sneer - "That's nuthin', I camp".
Old 05-31-2013, 06:39 AM   #36

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Now when others tell me of their skydiving or motorcycle racing exploits, I just puff out my chest and sneer - "That's nuthin', I camp".
lol yeah... and ya didn't mention the lions and tigers and bears oh my!

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:22 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
And don't get me started on campfires and flaming marshmallow fights.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:28 AM   #38

Registry
Quote:
I think this is true of trailer camping in general. I never realized the extreme dangers until I got here.
  • Nearly certain towing accidents, especially in Colorado
  • Carbon monoxide
  • Battery hydrogen explosions
  • Wiring shorts causing fires
  • Propane explosions
  • Oxygen depletion
  • Burns and fires from cooking
  • Frames breaking
  • Wheels falling off
  • Tires, tires, tires
  • Brake failures

Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
Quote:
And don't get me started on campfires and flaming marshmallow fights.

Don't forget:
The natives, especially if carrying banjos...

Francesca
Old 05-31-2013, 08:50 AM   #39

Trailer: LittleGuy Classic Teardrop ('Baby Osmo') (Previously 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe)
Quote:

When I took my motorcycle safety class, just about the first thing the instructor told us was something along the lines of, "You are about to start doing something dangerous - riding a motorcycle. You can get killed. In this class you will learn the risk. You will learn how to mitigate some of that risk. Then, you have to decide for yourself if you are willing to accept the risk that remains. Riding isn't for everyone."
Mr. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:00 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul E Henning View Post
When I took my motorcycle safety class, just about the first thing the instructor told us was something along the lines of, "You are about to start doing something dangerous - riding a motorcycle. You can get killed. In this class you will learn the risk. You will learn how to mitigate some of that risk. Then, you have to decide for yourself if you are willing to accept the risk that remains. Riding isn't for everyone."
When I quit riding it wasn't the dying I was afraid of, it was the enhanced possibility of quadriplegia. Of course, compared to the dangers of camping that's nuthin'.

Tags
scamp