Scamp Quality - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 09:04 AM   #21

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Jenny Katz, don't forget that the Lil Snoozy also uses a galvanized frame.
Dave & Paula
Old 01-15-2017, 09:09 AM   #22

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Scamp Quality

Full gamut of opinions on Scamp quality. I've made a decision not to express mine anymore (I have experienced Scamp ownership). Old adage that "one man's trash is another man's treasure" comes into play here. Also, would note that those who would introduce "value" into the conversation are making an invalid argument because different people judge value with differing criteria. There is no question that Scamps are/can be problematic......but so are Chevrolets, Fords, RCA and Toshiba televisions, Singer sewing machines, GE and Whirlpool refrigerators, Craftsman and Snap-On tools (or they wouldn't need a replacement policy), etc. Very few things that are manufactured are free of fault or potential fault. Therefore, IMO, the seemingly endless argument over Scamp quality is simply beating the proverbial dead horse.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 01-15-2017, 07:54 PM   #23

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape
Ohio
Im sorry I caused such a fuss

The reason I posted my topic was after I passed on the camper an elderly couple made the purchase. I feel they were likely taken advantage of as they made the purchase at night and would not have seen the issues. The only one that made me nervous was the stress crack...no spider cracking, no signs of impact, just one long crack traveling towards the back of the camper.

I will state it again...my family loved our scamp...I was just really disappointed when the newer unit had all the same issues my unit had.

I was hoping over the years all the bugs would have been worked out.

Thanks for all the PM on similar issues and hope someone from scamp takes note and if possible addresses some of the issues people are experiencing.

Its bed time...
Old 01-15-2017, 08:43 PM   #24

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanover69 View Post
Im sorry I caused such a fuss

The reason I posted my topic was after I passed on the camper an elderly couple made the purchase. I feel they were likely taken advantage of as they made the purchase at night and would not have seen the issues. The only one that made me nervous was the stress crack...no spider cracking, no signs of impact, just one long crack traveling towards the back of the camper.

I will state it again...my family loved our scamp...I was just really disappointed when the newer unit had all the same issues my unit had.

I was hoping over the years all the bugs would have been worked out.

Thanks for all the PM on similar issues and hope someone from scamp takes note and if possible addresses some of the issues people are experiencing.

Its bed time...
I think your concerns were very valid. Good job looking it over and making a rational decision. Interesting when we want something to be what it turns out not to be. If you want to camp and not repair, you made the right choice. Others want to restore and they are willing to take on serious problems. Others may not notice or care.

I don't see why some would get so offended at the thought that you spotted some shortcomings and questioned them. It wasn't a personal attack on anyone, just some observations and an expression of surprise or disappointment. If nobody ever notices quality issues, why would a manufacturer adhere to the highest standard? Most cheap stickies are a perfect example of this and I've paid the price more than once.

Good luck in your continued search!
Old 01-15-2017, 09:25 PM   #25

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanover69 View Post
after I passed on the camper an elderly couple made the purchase. I feel they were likely taken advantage of as they made the purchase at night and would not have seen the issues.
Given your familiarity with the details of their purchase, you must have been there at the time. Did you point out to the old folks the deficiencies of the trailer? They probably appreciated your views. The seller, maybe not.
Old 01-15-2017, 09:33 PM   #26

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
I don't see why some would get so offended at the thought that you spotted some shortcomings and questioned them. !
I don't own a Scamp. Never actually seen one up close, so I'm not defending Scamp. But, I can get offended by the tone of a post. Kinda like, a stranger coming into your house and stomping around with muddy boots.

( Over to you Mary )
Old 01-15-2017, 10:37 PM   #27

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
The crack above the door sounds like the roof was overloaded. Snow? Rusty frame and pumps sounds like snow country salt. Better frame painting would be appreciated by owners. I had to repaint mine, but it was nine years old when I got it. They aren't perfect, but provide a lot of enjoyment for the money. Plus, you can have fun improving'm to make'm better.
Russ
Old 01-15-2017, 10:52 PM   #28

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Improperly fitted vinyl flooring is just cosmetic, but it shows sloppiness. I can't help wondering if the rivets and crack could have been caused by going too fast on a rough road, or by hitting one very big bump... dunno.

Yet I will never forget the story posted here a few years ago from a new Scamp owner who picked up his brand-new 16' at Backus and headed home, stopping along the way to camp for the night. Upon hooking up the water hose and attempting to fill the tank, he found the inside of his trailer being flooded. The plumbing was never completed by the factory.
Old 01-16-2017, 05:07 AM   #29
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
I think your concerns were very valid. Good job looking it over and making a rational decision. Interesting when we want something to be what it turns out not to be. If you want to camp and not repair, you made the right choice. Others want to restore and they are willing to take on serious problems. Others may not notice or care.

I don't see why some would get so offended at the thought that you spotted some shortcomings and questioned them. It wasn't a personal attack on anyone, just some observations and an expression of surprise or disappointment. If nobody ever notices quality issues, why would a manufacturer adhere to the highest standard? Most cheap stickies are a perfect example of this and I've paid the price more than once.

Good luck in your continued search!
Well said. Like you, I don't see why people take it personal when someone is critical of something they own. And as a consumer I welcome all comments regarding something I plan to spend a lot of money on and am intelligent enough to make my own judgement as to validity.
Old 01-16-2017, 06:19 AM   #30

Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
Well said. I don't see why people take it personal when someone is critical of something they own. And as a consumer I welcome all comments regarding something I plan to spend a lot of money on and am intelligent enough to make my own judgement as to validity.

That's easy. While humans are not all wired mentally the same, a substantial percentage of them view any criticism of a product they purchased as an IMPLICATION that they are very stupid for having purchased it in the first place. A small percentage of them realize they may have made a poor choice but do not want to admit it. And others will openly profess that they believe the product in question is a piece of crap which, of course, further infuriates/alienates the "defensive" group. It is nothing more than the consumer version of "fight or flight." Those who take it "personal" will fight, sometimes to the point of ridiculousness. Others choose to ignore the criticism (flight), either accepting it as warranted, or rejecting it as false or as a personal affront.
Even so, most people are intelligent enough to judge validity, but a good number are unable and get duped, as in "Grandma/Grandpa, I need $2,000 for bail," or "Let me remotely take control of your computer and I will fix the software problems we have noted."

Old 01-16-2017, 06:24 AM   #31

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Since I've already posted on this thread, I want to state unequivocally that I did not take any of the comments made by the creator of this post personally. Yes, indeed. I appreciate reviews of products and read customer reviews frequently before making a purchase decision. However, accurate reviews come from experience with the same product in question. All I was saying was that as the gentleman was not the owner of the Scamp, he cannot attest to the true source of the crack he mentioned, and the seemingly unwarranted rust on the frame. The flooring I agreed with. Had the Scamp been owned by him, and the conditions of travel or experience with the unit been his, that would have weighed with much more merit. Then there would be a comparison from delivery of unit brand new, to one year's worth of use.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Old 01-16-2017, 06:51 AM   #32

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
There might be a member or two who take this thread as a personal assault, but I think most of the pushback is related to the motivation, not to mention veracity of the thread. JMO.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:59 AM   #33

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyM View Post
There might be a member or two who take this thread as a personal assault, but I think most of the pushback is related to the motivation, not to mention veracity of the thread. JMO.
Absolutely spot on!
Old 01-16-2017, 11:07 AM   #34

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
My Casita has some hairline cracks in the gel coat in the upper corner of the entry door . My trailer has never been off road and only driven on improved roads. I did some research on the Casita forum and discovered that this was a common problem with Casitas and had happened to many individuals . To me this indicates a design flaw and not caused by abuse or poor maintenance. By me pointing this out , I am NOT bad mouthing Casita but some will interpret it as being negative.
This forum is much more accepting of an open and honest discussion of issues with FG trailers .Try making non positive comments on the other FG forums and you will be subject to scorn and ridicule.
Fiberglass trailers by nature have advantages over stick built trailers but they are by no means perfect or without issue.
It's often easier to condemm the messenger than to take an honest look at the message.
Old 01-16-2017, 11:14 AM   #35

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Trailer trailers have been described as Moving Earthquakes. It really surprises me that we don't see more damage done. Especially when you consider some of the roads traveled and the speed at what some folks tow. Last summer, I towed Ten Forward over 30 miles of washboard gravel roads. And I was going slow! But watching the trailer in the rearview mirror... I almost got seasick watching it bounce up and down.
Old 01-16-2017, 11:26 AM   #36

Florida
Registry
Scamp Quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyM View Post

I want to be perfectly clear. My post was not specific to this thread. It was a statement on the varying responses to posted statements deemed "critical" by "defensive" individuals. However, some responses, here and elsewhere go well beyond simple pushback.

Old 01-16-2017, 01:50 PM   #37

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I think everyone should take a moment or two before posting what is becoming more of an attack on each other, rather than a discussion on the Scamp trailer the OP saw. Say your piece, and move on. Anything further resembling a personal attack in any way or form will be deleted, and the thread closed, and further action may result.

Basically all I am saying is BE NICE!
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-16-2017, 04:02 PM   #38

Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I think everyone should take a moment or two before posting what is becoming more of an attack on each other, rather than a discussion on the Scamp trailer the OP saw. Say your piece, and move on. Anything further resembling a personal attack in any way or form will be deleted, and the thread closed, and further action may result.

Basically all I am saying is BE NICE!

Jim,
I agree with you 100%. IMO this thread should be closed. There are enough historical threads on the same vein, with some people bashing Scamp and others defending Scamp. Threads like this are an exercise in futility. Please close it if for nothing else, so nobody's feelings will suffer.

Old 01-16-2017, 05:55 PM   #39

Name: Tony
Trailer: Casita
New York
I can't be sure and I'm certainly no aerospace engineer but this trailer had to have been stressed in a big way. If it were severely "twisted" meaning maybe the right side was ditched and the left rear and tire in the air then a crack like you describe could be likely, might even explain floor buckling. I haven't seen that type of crack in fiberglass before, and I've been around lots of boats and a few travel trailers. I know manufacturers are working to keep costs down but I'm willing to give Scamp the benefit of the doubt for now as I've always loved their trailers. Seems the owner should relay some info if asked. Anythings possible, but that's a lot of damage in a year to not have a clear explanation. BTW, I'm a new Casita owner but remain sweet on Scamps.
Old 01-16-2017, 06:31 PM   #40

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Welcome to FGRV Tony, BTW, nice post too. I was thinking along the same line.
Closed Thread

Tags
scamp