Scamp 16' New Flooring - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2017, 02:51 PM   #1

Name: Craig
Trailer: Scamp
Washington
Scamp 16' New Flooring

Hello All,

My wife and I have recently purchased a 2008 Scamp 16'. We are interested in working on a few improvements over the next few months. One thing we are interested in accomplishing is new flooring. It currently has laminate flooring (i believe from the factory) that is in good condition, but really love the look of a vinyl wood flooring. I have read all different opinions but are curious what some of you think about this topic. Here are some of the questions I have!

1. Should I remove the laminate before installing the new flooring? If so, should I expect to see glue underneath the laminate from the factory?

2. Should the Allure Vinyl Flooring be installed "floating" or should I add glue for good measure?

3. Do you have to remove the benches to install flooring? If you do remove the benches, then do you drill through the new flooring for reinstallation?

4. If no glue is used for this flooring, then how do you get the one strip required for the step up to the dinette to stay?

Thank you so much for your help!

Craig
camaertens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 03:07 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Scamp 16' New Flooring

Scamp has never used laminate from the factory. Carpet or sheet vinyl only. It's probably a floating installation, but since it was done by a previous owner, there's no telling what might be underneath.

My tentative thoughts are...
(1) Yes.
(2) Floating
(3) No.
(4) Not sure- probably glue.

Best wishes! And welcome to the forum, Craig!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 03:58 PM   #3

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaertens View Post
Hello All,

1. Should I remove the laminate before installing the new flooring? If so, should I expect to see glue underneath the laminate from the factory?

I just got done installing Allure vinyl plank. I'm no expert, but I'm pretty happy with my results. If the existing floor is in good shape, then I would probably just install over top. Might want to try a small corner, see if it's glued down, or just floating If it's floating it would be an option to remove it without a lot of trouble. The Allure can be installed over any rigid floor that is in good shape. If your floor is currently glued down, you are in for a lot of work to remove it and get the glue off - that was the most time consuming part of my project, getting the carpet and glue off. Not an option to install over carpet. One good thing for me, when I pulled the old carpet, I found a small area of rot starting. I was able to repair that, prior to proceeding.

2. Should the Allure Vinyl Flooring be installed "floating" or should I add glue for good measure?

The recommendation and instructions say floating, so that it can expand and contract with temperature changes. That said, you have no warranty anyway, since it is only warranted for installation in a 100% temperature controlled environment. I have read, and it makes sense, that in these small trailers, any contraction and expansion is pretty minimal, not like the combined effect in a 15 X 30 foot room would be.

3. Do you have to remove the benches to install flooring? If you do remove the benches, then do you drill through the new flooring for reinstallation?

I did not remove my benches, due to some complications in my particular trailer to doing so. If your's is standard install of the benches, it is supposed to be pretty easy to remove them, and makes for a neater install with less need for moldings or caulk. But it works either way.

4. If no glue is used for this flooring, then how do you get the one strip required for the step up to the dinette to stay?

Once the carpet was off the step, I was left with just bare steel framing. EXTREMELY cold which caused much condensation, and acted like a "cold" radiator. I had some left over 1/8" foam vinyl siding underlayment. I cut strips of this to cover the bare metal, then fit the vinyl plank to cover the foam. The steel was so cold and wet with condensation, that I figured no glue would stick to it, so they are just held in place with metal step edging on the top. Once I get the matching quarter round (special order from Home Depot), I will add that to secure the bottom. Caulk should work as well. I think the foam has helped a LOT here in Michigan in the winter. No condensation now after several days of low 20 degrees with the trailer heated and me working in it.

Thank you so much for your help!

Craig
Hope this helps. As I said, I'm no expert. I will say that if I ever do this again, I will try the Allure Ultra - the click together, instead of the glue strips. I just think it might be a little easier, but either way, it's a pretty easy install.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 01:29 PM   #4

Name: Peg
Trailer: 2016 -13' Scamp
Massachusetts
Make sure you buy vinyl flooring that resists water stains. Many brands look pretty beat up after just a few drops of water set in. You won't want to be afraid to spill something, have a refrigerator spill, or track in rainy footwear.
herons is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp