Trillium trailer anti theft - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2016, 04:57 PM   #1

Name: Susan
Trailer: In the market
Manitoba
Registry
Trillium trailer anti theft

Hi. I am looking to secure my 13 foot 1975 trillion trailer in my driveway over the winter in an urban setting and the trailer is so light that I as a "girl" at 64 years of age can actually pick up the tongue and move it, not easily but I can do it, so a young person with a little muscle could easily walk it right off my property without hooking it up to any vehicle.

I am looking to find what the best, most efficient and most cost-effective way of putting a boot type thing on the wheel or whatever to discourage theft. Something that bolt cutters will have a hard time getting through preferably.

I understand that any antitheft device would simply be a deterrent and that if someone is intent on stealing my trailer out of my driveway they will steal it. It is insured but I would feel more comfortable with something locking it up. I have a padlock over the pin part of the ball so that they would have to cut the lock off in order to hook it up to a vehicle.

Any insights on this from any of you would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Dustmote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 05:12 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Trillium trailer anti theft

This topic has come up pretty often. I am inclined to agree that wheel boots are the most secure among off-the-shelf security devices, and the ones that cover the lug nuts the best. "Cost effective" is hard to measure. Boots are expensive, but compared to the value of your trailer, they are still cheap. Whether they are worth it or not depends on your assessment of the likelihood of theft in your area and the value of your peace of mind.

A Google site search on "trailer theft" or "wheel boot" should bring up some discussions with specific product recommendations.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Google Search.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	99748
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 09:01 PM   #3

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
make it look ugly
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 10:08 PM   #4

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
make it look ugly
It's a Trillium, that is not possible.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 10:37 PM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Put a Boler label on it!

(fire suit on!)
(sorry, couldn't resist!)
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 06:11 AM   #6

Name: Talia
Trailer: Hunter Compact Jr.
USA
I live in a less-than-great neighborhood, and I use a boot that covers the lug nuts. I also park it in an inconvenient manner so that you can't just back a vehicle up to it, but would have to actually really work to get it out from behind a truck and a garden shed to get it hooked up. I also have a small GPS tracker with its own battery that I am going to hide somewhere in the trailer as I build the interior.
Talia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 07:56 AM   #7

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
If you can actually move it around by hand, turn it 180 degrees so the hitch is not facing a direction that you can easily hitch-up, and then block the trailer frame up securely and take both wheels off for the winter (store the wheels separately from the trailer, say in your house). Should be pretty secure.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 09:59 AM   #8

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
You could get a hitch lock.
Reese Trailer Lock, Reese Coupler Lock and Trailer Locks
Master Lock 1-7/8" and 2" Trailer Coupler Lock - Nickel Plated Zinc Master Lock Locks 377DAT

Drill or enlarge the hole on your front jack to slip another lock through, makes it harder.

Cut the safety chains and install some of these.

Then take the safety chains off when you park.

If somebody is set on stealing it, they will. If you make it difficult for someone to steal it the casual theft is less likely to happen.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 11:57 AM   #9

Name: Steve
Trailer: Casita
Georgia
Lots of good ideas here, but I wouldn't rely too much on the Reese lock after watching this video (bottom of the page):

Products | Proven Industries - Best Trailer Locks

Not affiliated, but I'm buying one.

Tags
trillium