1985 13' Scamp Standard in DFW area, Texas - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Marketplace > Classified Archives
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-25-2010, 05:58 PM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to bill&sandra
Now's your chance to have the whole package--a great Scamp and the cutest tow vehicle around; our '90 Diesel VW TDI! Wanting only 10K for the package. Join this crazy group of fun loving folks with this combo ready for camping tomorrow!

If you're looking for just the trailer, no problem, we understand and won't mind keeping Herbie for ourselves. The 13 foot Standard trailer is available for $4700. This comes with new tires and new EZ lube axle. You'll see the upgrades in the flyer.

We have a Word document showing the details of the Scamp and some info about the VW. Please email us and we will email the word document to you or answer any questions. I hope I've uploaded some pictures here.
Attached Thumbnails
side2.JPG   side1.JPG  

kitchen_bunks.JPG   scamp_vw.jpg  

Old 02-25-2010, 08:15 PM   #2

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Hi bill&sandra,

There has been quite a bit of interest in the last year or so here about towing with a VW bug. So far all the VW buggers who've piped in have had tow capacities too low for even the lightest of our eggs. Can I ask what the tow capacity of the TDI is? Maybe that would be a good solution for the die-hard bug folks.

It certainly does make a cute combo

Thank you,

Raya

PS: I should clarify that I'm not in the market for a trailer right now since I already own one; but being a fellow tow-with-a-car person, I'm always interested in towing capacities.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:40 PM   #3

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp Deluxe
Registry
Let us know how your package deal sale works out. I may want to offer my 05 13' Scamp delux and 04 Jeep Liberty together and I'd like to see if there is any interest in a package sale.

(It's an old guy issue.)
Old 02-26-2010, 06:37 AM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
We have a Jetta TDI, dealers will tell you not to tow. I talked to another guy towing at 13'er at a campground with a Jetta TDI, he claimed his tow capacity was 1,000 lbs. So things are very close to the trailer weight. From my discussion with him it was sort of a we do this but the dealer will say no...

His mileage was awesome though. I didn't ask about the braking
Old 02-26-2010, 02:07 PM   #5

Registry
Bill says towing capacity for TDI is 2500, but I think that sounds too high, maybe 1500. anyway, dealers are covering their behind for legal reasons and don't recommend but folks in Europe do it all the time with no problem. That's why we settled on the TDI.
Bill also tells me i got the vintage wrong on the bug. it is a 1998 model, with highest tow rating ever.
We are pleased with its performance with Scamp and without. We do have to shift down to third on long inclines and no problem braking. we have had a couple emergency stops that i thought would end up badly, but we stopped on a dime with Scampy happily behind us.
We do not recommend towing with later models of VW, especially non-diesel. Check out the VW TDI forums before going for a bug for a tow vehicle.
We would be happy to sell Herbie to anybody with a standard 13, but nothing above that. Adding the bath weight would push Herbie's limits and I'd rather not strain him.

Quote:
Hi bill&sandra,

There has been quite a bit of interest in the last year or so here about towing with a VW bug. So far all the VW buggers who've piped in have had tow capacities too low for even the lightest of our eggs. Can I ask what the tow capacity of the TDI is? Maybe that would be a good solution for the die-hard bug folks.

It certainly does make a cute combo

Thank you,

Raya

PS: I should clarify that I'm not in the market for a trailer right now since I already own one; but being a fellow tow-with-a-car person, I'm always interested in towing capacities.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:39 AM   #6

Registry
multiple bidders on the '85 as of today. If you want this Scamp, I'd advise you
to hurry. As I have told each requestee, "First one here with $4700 cash gets to take her home! We do want to sell to someone interested in camping with her, not to be used as storage or a deer camp, please!"

Nobody has been interested in purchasing the combo--maybe because they just don't have 10K lying around, or because I goofed with the vehicle year. Is a 98, not a 90.
If we don't sell the pair, we will keep Herbie.
Old 04-15-2010, 04:24 PM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
multiple bidders on the '85 as of today. If you want this Scamp, I'd advise you
to hurry. As I have told each requestee, "First one here with $4700 cash gets to take her home! We do want to sell to someone interested in camping with her, not to be used as storage or a deer camp, please!"

Nobody has been interested in purchasing the combo--maybe because they just don't have 10K lying around, or because I goofed with the vehicle year. Is a 98, not a 90.
If we don't sell the pair, we will keep Herbie.
Do you still have the Scamp? If so, how could I get more pictures and description of what it has and needs (by way of servcie).
Thanks,
LisaC
Old 04-15-2010, 05:17 PM   #8

Registry
Sorry to say the Scamp is off the market. Kids nearly had a heart attack selling our first 'baby' so will keep. We ARE selling our renovated 5th wheel. 1983 with a '05 axle and new stabilizers, tanks, tires, AC, solar battery charger, etc. If you are interested, we have a flyer.
send us an email. w.hanna[at]sbcglobal.net
and we'll send it to you.
We will be taking her to the Bluebonnet rally in bandera in case you're coming.

Quote:
Do you still have the Scamp? If so, how could I get more pictures and description of what it has and needs (by way of servcie).
Thanks,
LisaC

Tags
scamp