Replacing the carpet in my Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2010, 04:03 PM   #1

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp
Okay, having a semi long haired 80lb dog, I am really wanting to get the carpet out of here and am seriously leaning toward linoleum. Since I couldn't talk my friend into it while I was hanging around my home town, looks like I might be doing it my self.

I have never done anything like this before, but I remember a thread of a woman who did her own. I have read about the difficulty in removing the carpet...do I need special tools, if so, what kind?

I also read about the stretching effect, I believe, I need to know all about that I figure.

What parts do I need to remove from say the door frame, the metal stripping under the side dinette, etc?

Is this too big of a job for someone who has never done it and considers herself mostly helpless in these situations?

OR...is there someone on here willing to do it for me ? Okay, probably not, but I had to ask.

I have kind of priced the linoleum and besides the work involved, if I mess it up the materials are very inexpensive, so I figure if the rest of the job isn't too complicated, I might be willing to pull it off. (though I am still open to someone doing it for me of course ).

Any help would be appreciated very much as this carpet is thoroughly getting on my nerves...thanks to all who take the time to reply. MM
Monica M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 04:35 PM   #2

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
Monica,
Although linoleum (and ready to stick down tile, as well) are relatively inexpensive, they're a pain to remove if you make a mistake or just don't like them.
You might want to look at a product like Allure. It sticks to itself, and floats. You don't fix it to the floor. Then, if for some reason you hate it, or just need to remove it because you remodeled or whatever, it comes out easily. Same can be said for laminate flooring, but instead of good saws, you only need a straight edge and a really good knife to install the Allure type products. (What kind of tools you need for the trim depends on what you choose for trim/molding.) In my opinion, the Allure is really an easy DIY project.

I would caution you that Allure smells really bad (at least to me) when you first install it. My husband put it in his office. We ventilated with fans and open windows for a number of days, and the smell went away pretty quickly. The new laminate my neighbor installed in her house didn't bother me, but the Allure did for a number of days...
I've not taken carpet out of a Scamp, so I'll leave those comments for others. I think the floor in your Scamp is plywood, not molded fiberglass. It may make the removal easier, depending on how much glue, and what kind, was used to affix your carpet. If all is not smooth, or can't be made smooth, you could install a subfloor of thin plywood to make the new install flawless. You don't want a bunch of adhesive left behind making bumps in your new floor.
Sherry
Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 09:39 PM   #3

Trailer: 89 Scamp 16 ft
Our carpet came out pretty easily. Took about ten minutes. It is glued, but not very well and not all the way to the edge. Just cut a slot by the edge with a razor knife [ you are not saving it anyway, except maybe to trace the new piece] and use a wonder bar, puddy knife, kitchen knife to pry it up. When you get a hand hold rip it out. Under the dinette, you have to cut along the base of the seats, if you do not want to remove them to get underneath [but it is only six screws holding them in, anyway.]

We did not glue the new piece in, that way we can pull it out for cleaning or drying if [when] things get wet. We used the heavy duty entryway door runner matting sold at Lowes.

Tags
scamp