Leaving in a week to get our new Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2010, 08:39 AM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
We will be leaving in a week to go get our new Scamp. Yes we are excited! Got the truck wiring for the trailer complete. We are bringing our sleeping bags and some cooking equipment. This will be our first time using a trailer, (we have wilderness camped for years), so any hints, tips or other info that could be passed on to us would be appreciated.

Sandy
Sandy Christie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:28 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
All I can say is good luck and enjoy. If you need something you can always pick up a few items as you travel home.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:28 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Enjoy every minute of it! Don't forget a CAMERA and a journal... during those cold, dreary months you'll want to relive those memories.

Hint: Shiny side up, greasy side down.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 01:49 PM   #4

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Stop in Duluth,MN VERY COOL city.
Duluth http://visitduluth.com/home.php
Click image for larger version

Name:	webcam.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	27987

Good camp ground http://www.spiritmt.com/campground.aspx

Name:	campgroundmap.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	27988

This camp ground is on top of the hill just before you get into Duluth.
Live web cam http://www.lsmma.com/webcam_large.htm
Must stop Duluth Canal Park & Harbor

Name:	duluthlw20.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	27986

Go across the lift bridge driving south. You will come upon a very nice park at the end of the road.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 06:10 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Congrats! I am sure you will really enjoy your Scamp, we have ours.

As for some tips:
Auxiliary Fresh Water Tank, Transferring Water & Solar---Neat to Have Boon-docking.

A way to have access to more fresh water and a way to transfer it to the holding tank in the trailer is a must for us, one of the very first things we got for ours. A 26 gal water tank which we keep in the back of the pick-up. We have one of these: 26 gal Tank

I'd hate to live without my set-up. We use one of these to transfer water: 12v Pump

I order the one I have, due to the limited size of the Ranger's bed. My son has gotten tanks, but a different kind, more shape of barrels from Farm & Ranch Supply Companies.

But in a Ford F-150, we do not need to use a pump to transfer the water, normally it is higher than the Scamp's tank.

Link to post on transferring water:
http://www.casitaclub.com/forums/ind...howtopic=13434

Link to keep battery charged:
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseacti.../1.cfm#23691061

Link to overnighting along the way:
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseacti...07.cfm#23227407

We found the bed too hard for us, we use egg crate foam pads to make it softer. We also bought a step to make the step into the Scamp less of a leap. Can get most at a Wal-mart after picking up the Scamp. You will need a RV white water hose to fill the tank. Take you camp cooking pots and pans, etc.

We found the bed to be a little narrow in the Scamp, last summer we started sleeping head to feet, similar to the way sardines are packed. It may sound weird, but it gives each more elbow room, just have to be careful not to step on the other face. Ha!

Link on stabilizer jacks:
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseacti...10.cfm#22937010
Link to pics of our from stabilizer jacks:
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseacti...69.cfm#22847969
Link to pics of our Scamp:
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseacti...35.cfm#22848635

We went up to Thunder Bay from MN along the shore of Lake Superior. We only spent one night there, we stayed the night at a visitor center/welcome center outside of town. Off or on a major Hwy or interstate-like Hwy. Can't remember the number, etc. We were in a C-class MH. 2001.

I believe I found it: The City of Thunder Bay's official travel and visitor information center, located at the Terry Fox Scenic Lookout.
1000 Highway 11/17
Thunder Bay, ON P7A 0A1, Canada

Thunder Bay Expy, as you can see on this photo, it has large parking areas & I remember it was at a Scenic Lookout. Photo

Things to do. We went to Fort William Historical Park very neat place. We had stopped at Grand Portage National Monument which was equally good if not better.

2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 06:19 PM   #6

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
Are you planning to camp your way home over the top of the lakes or the south of the lakes, mostly through the U.S.?

Scamp is built in one of the most beautiful parts of Minnesota... the Lakes District, and there's much to see and do around there (although it snowed a few days ago in nearby Walker).

I guess we should ask if you have time to camp on the way home, or just a few days in the Lakes to shake out the new Scamp, before heading home the quickest way.

If you go home via the top of the lakes, you'll definitely want to spend a little time around Brainerd, then see Duluth, Two Harbors, Split Rock Lighthouse, camp at nearby Gooseberry Falls State Park, and spend a day or two in lovely little Grand Marais before you go thru customs south of Thunder Bay. (Best walleye in the area is the fish basket at the fish house next to the Folk School, near the municipal campground. Just ask for the walleye upgrade.. it's a dollar or two. Great!) The Folk School runs classes in many things, like Norwegian flat plane carving and birch tine box making, canoe refurbishing, and timber frame building. It's a fascinating place.

Congratulations on your new Scamp! My aunt and uncle thoroughly enjoyed theirs, towing it behind (effortlessly) through most of Minnesota and surrounding states for fifteen years or so.

Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 06:26 PM   #7

Registry
Oh, and, since you're used to camping, I think you're wise to bring only what you'd take on a short tent trip to pick up your trailer. There are a number of stores in Brainerd where you can pick up pretty much anything you need that you didn't bring with you. Duluth is a major city for that part of the country. (Almost) everyone in this part of the country is an outdoors person... hiking, fishing, kayaking, hunting, camping, etc.
And, if you do stop in Grand Marais, the Ben Franklin has an amazing ... and odd... variety of camping gear. I got great buys on Wigwam hiking socks, Clark's mudding shoes, and a beercan chicken cooker there last summer. Wonder what I'll find there this summer, as the variety always changes???

Sherry
Old 05-10-2010, 08:23 PM   #8

Trailer: 2010 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Be sure to take the mandatory photo beside the Scamp sign! Take a tour of the factory, your salesman will offer this. If you have time, take the Paul Bunyan Scenic Drive. Watch for bald eagles & osprey. ENJOY!!
Attached Images

Ellen B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 10:51 PM   #9

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Sandy,

There will be major construction on I-35 going into Duluth. We will be there in a few days and I'll post an update. Maybe I'll be able to post or private message you before you leave. Perhaps you will go through Duluth on the way to Backus and see for yourself what the situation is.

Our condo in Duluth (Proctor) is 1 mile from the Spirit Mtn campground. We may very well be there when you are in the area and we are excellent tour guides for the area.

I suggest an electric cube heater (if that works for your power in Canada/USA)?

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 11:13 PM   #10

We are only just getting leaves on our trees. Some of the tourist things mentioned may not be up and running when you go by. After posting wondered when Spirit Mtn opens for business. Not sure when they have shower rooms open.

If I-35 is a nightmare to go through we can show you a different little way to get to Superior, WI that will avoid Duluth. Oliver bridge, 12 foot clearance I think. Old low bridge.

We don't have a heater in our camper. If we can't use our elec cube heater we just turn on the gas burner and heat some water for coffee. That generally takes the chill off.

Nancy
Old 05-11-2010, 07:27 AM   #11

Trailer: Boler 1300 1977 (#2033 L EGGO)
Quote:
We will be leaving in a week to go get our new Scamp. Yes we are excited! Got the truck wiring for the trailer complete. We are bringing our sleeping bags and some cooking equipment. This will be our first time using a trailer, (we have wilderness camped for years), so any hints, tips or other info that could be passed on to us would be appreciated.

Sandy
Hi Sandy,

My how time does fly -- it seems like only yesterday that you were just checking out the concept. Brand-new mattress should be comfy enough but we love our wilderness thermarests on top. We went that way last year and found our new Garmin GPS invaluable in breezing through Duluth/Superior (and other big cities).

If you return is near our street, how about a quick stop and personal tour of your new baby?

Des & Diane
Des Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 09:48 AM   #12

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Thank you all for the information We have relatively short time on this trip (1 week). We are planning our first overnight in the trailer somewhere near Scamp in case we find some problems which need to be fixed. Our trip back is flexible, and we will play it by ear. I will be sending a PM to a few later today. Again thanks for the information, People on this board are the greatest.

Sandy and Kim (soon to be new scamp owners)
Sandy Christie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 04:10 AM   #13

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Deluxe ('The White House')
What are you getting??? 13', 16' or 19'

DETAILS!!!!!

Enjoy.
Weinel, Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 07:28 AM   #14

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
What are you getting??? 13', 16' or 19'

DETAILS!!!!!

Enjoy.
Looking under Sandy's name at the profile is says Scamp 13' ordered, but it would be interesting to read about the features ordered etc.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 11:51 AM   #15

Trailer: Scamp
Quote:

Sandy
Hi Sandy,
Shirley and I are also picking up our new Scamp (16 ft) on Monday, May 17th. We are excited as well! We plan to camp the first night at Lake Itasca State Park to make sure everything is working ok. We are anxious to start our camping adventures, and hope we meet along the way. Good Luck.
Roger Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 04:31 PM   #16

Sandy and Roger,

If you are getting brakes check them before you leave Backus. We drove our new Scamp several thousand miles before realizing that one of the wires wasn't connected!

While slowly driving down a side road have one guy by the wheel and listen for brake noise, go to other side and repeat.

We put our trailer up for the months we don't use it. While the wheels are off the ground one of us spins the wheel and the other applies the Prodigy. We try to get both sides to work about the same. It is at this time that we also give the bearings three squirts of grease. This time one wheel needed more than three pumps.

So, another item for you to buy if you haven't already got it is a brake tool gizmo for adjusting brakes.

Sandy, if you haven't left yet....I sent you some messages.

Nancy
Old 05-14-2010, 05:13 PM   #17

Registry
If any of you have a Norwegian heritage, hurrah for Syttende Mai... (17th of May). Constitution day in Norway, and a big deal in many small communities across the Midwest with a Norwegian heritage.

For me, that would be a very auspicious pickup date!

Sherry
Old 05-14-2010, 06:25 PM   #18

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
Sherry:
I took this at the 17th of May parade on my block last year. Store flagg og massevis av barn!
Attached Thumbnails
Halden_2009.jpg  
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp