80's Scamp Axle & Refrig Questions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2010, 09:30 AM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
I'm relatively new to this site and just recently purchased our first trailer an older 13 ft scamp (early 80's). I've been searching for info and may have missed it, this is such a great site with super people and advice.

First can someone post me pictures of what the axle position should like like. I'm trying to determine if my axle needs replacing. When i look at the trailer from the side, the curve of the wheel well cover approx the top 1/3 of the tire(unfortunately my digital camera has died or I would add some pics) also is there a simple test of they axle as well. When I'm towing the empty trailer using a jeep wrangler there seems to be some bouncing is this an indication of a problem ?

Secondly i have a domestic 211 refrig that i can't seem to get running on 12 v 120 or gas......any ideas other than pulling it out and turning it upside down ? voltage checks out and pilot stays lighted.

Lastly if these subjects have been covered and I've overlooked the obvious i apologize I'm trying desperately to get ready for our first camping season. I was hoping to be ready to attend the lake San Antonio ralley but our plans got changed
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 09:38 AM   #2

While i am unable to post pics of my trailer axle & wheel the photos of this scamp show the same look as my trailer wheel well......does this appear to be normal ?????
SCAMP lightweight trailer $1800 (Tunnel Hill Ga)
Old 05-14-2010, 12:23 PM   #3

Please help.......I'm sure somebody has had to check out their axle or has some ideas.....so far i've haven't had much luck doing a search....i really need some solid advice
Old 05-14-2010, 01:49 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
Hi Alan, I'm no expert, and hopefully the real knowledgeble will jump in here soon---but from the example pic you posted---that is NOT a good sign. Camper is riding too low and axle is probably shot.

From what I've read on here, that seems to be a common problem as these little gems age.

Vickie
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 02:40 PM   #5

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
If it looks like this

Name:   3kd3o03l55V25W15S2a5d5dc161bd3e891c80.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  5.9 KB
the axle is SHOT. The trailing arm on the axle should point down.NOT up or level. As for the frig. make sure the trailer is level.
GOOD LUCK
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 03:35 PM   #6

Trailer: 1973 Boler 1300 (Glass-Fab
Registry
The Dometic 211 fridge is a warhorse. It should be level as possible, that is, by checking the bottom of the freezer compartment with a bullseye level. If you want to troubleshoot, the 211 manual is found here:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/files/Dometic_..._RM211_1980.pdf

They are very slow to cool, so you might leave it running for eight hours and feel inside the freezer on the coils, they should develop frost after about six hours.

As for axles, they are replaceable. One needs to find out whether it's a leading or trailing arm, and what its initial arm position was. Some positions aren't made any more, so spacers need to be installed. Yours looks like it is probably a leading-arm type, because of the amount of sag....it's a low-rider! If you have it replaced, have it bolted on...this will facilitate later maintenance, or the addition of more lift if desired.

Axle replacement is recommended...because all the bouncing will lead to collateral damage...frame cracks, fibreglass cracks, stuff shaken loose, etc. It's the best thing you can do to improve your trailer's handling and future condition.
Mike Bromley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 03:47 PM   #7

Registry
This is my 13' Scamp with a new axle.(2 years ago)

Click image for larger version

Name:	july_075.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	302.6 KB
ID:	28076

Click image for larger version

Name:	t10_mount_22dn.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	28077

Old 05-14-2010, 04:25 PM   #8

Registry
Nice pic, Kevin. So-----where does one get a new axle????
Old 05-14-2010, 07:27 PM   #9

Trailer: Boler 1300 1973
Registry
Obviously your axle's suspension is shot. Kevin, you got a real nice Scamp. Mike gave you a good advice, I just got mine replaced on my Boler a week ago, I went to a specialized RV suspension shop (they were reffered to me by a regular RV shop, the suspension shop are used to deal with big motorized monster and other big things, but they did an unbeliveable work on my thinny thing.

Here is a hint, look in your area after vulcanized/vulcanization, .../ shop, ..., they deal with RV suspension (mostly air cushionned), but they do know how to deal with small RVs as well. They knew right away about Dexter and Flexride axles.
Old 05-14-2010, 07:49 PM   #10

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Sorry I am not much help at trouble on the fridge other than I have to plug mine in the night before I go anywhere. When you first plug it in it is really hard to tell if it is actually working. If you assuming that its not working as nothing happens right away I would put a thermometer in it and wait at least 4 hours to see if it is cooling off at all. I also always keep a milk jug with water frozen in it in my home freezer which I put in the trailer fridge when I forgot to plug in the night before. It seems to help it cool down a lot faster.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 08:35 PM   #11

Registry
I did mine my self. Just order one at http://www.dexteraxle.com/from
Old 05-14-2010, 09:34 PM   #12

Registry
Thanks for all the info---I live in fear of the day my axle needs replaced----we know NOTHING about that stuff!
Old 05-15-2010, 11:11 AM   #13

As I suspected I got some great advice from other members......i was able to get my refrig working on house voltage.( I'm currently freezing a small plastic cup of water )...but am still concerned with any potential axle issues. Any ideas on what a replacement axle and installation should run ?

I was hoping someone might post a picture of there axle for a reference
Old 05-16-2010, 07:00 PM   #14

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
If you look under the Care and Feeding someone posted a topic on May 7th about what an axle should not look like. Number of photos of not so good and one of the cross section of a new one.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 05:05 PM   #15

Trailer: 1980 (Circa) 13 ft Scamp (A WORK IN PROGRESS)
Registry
Quote:
As I suspected I got some great advice from other members......i was able to get my refrig working on house voltage.( I'm currently freezing a small plastic cup of water )...but am still concerned with any potential axle issues. Any ideas on what a replacement axle and installation should run ?

I was hoping someone might post a picture of there axle for a reference
Alan....I just replaced my axle on my 1982 Scamp, the Dexter Torflex 2200 lb axle was $309.14 with shipping and tax. I paid a friend $100.00 to do the bracket welding. Attached are some pictures which should give you a sense of what a good and bad axle looks like. The blue painted metal is a piece of 1-1/2 x 3 steel tube that I added, because I ordered the wrong orientation on my mounting brackets, and without the added steel tube I did not have clearance with the axle on the drop down box under the camper. It all worked out, just added more work to the project.

Frank
Attached Thumbnails
scamp_axle.jpg   scamp_049__1_.jpg  

My_Pictures.jpg  
FRANK MOLIS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle, scamp