Hello, Junkboy999 From Kansas. Just bought a 77 Scamp. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-26-2016, 02:51 PM   #1

Name: Terry
Trailer: Scamp
Kansas
Hello, Junkboy999 From Kansas. Just bought a 77 Scamp.

Hello,

Junkboy999 ( Terry ) From Kansas. Just bought a 1977 Scamp 13.
It is in pretty good shape but will need a Axel change and fix one leak I found. This forums looks like a great place for information and helpful advice for my new-2-me Scamp.

Drove from Wichita KS to Montana to get the camper and decided while I was out to stop off and camp in Idaho, Washington, Oregon, California, Arizona, and New Mexico, to get it back to Home. On this trip I saw on the other side of the highway, 6 Casita, 3 Scamp 16, 2 Scamp 13, 2 AS Bambi. Nice little 14 day trip. Just me and my puppy Dottie.

I still own a little 4x8 plywood home built Teardrop, and planing to build a bigger teardrop later. I love going to the TD get together as well. I'm Hoping on meeting some, if not all of you guys and gals, (space Aliens) that travel in these cute little Eggs around the country.

later for Now
Junkboy999
Attached Thumbnails
100 - croped.jpg  
Junkboy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 03:49 PM   #2

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
You sure took the long way back home. Welcome to the forum.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 05:30 AM   #3

Name: Megan
Kentucky
welcome!

Welcome aboard to the "egg world"....Maybe we'll see you at a rally! Good luck with everything! This is my 1977 Scamp!
Attached Thumbnails
20140722_070947.jpg  
Megala M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 06:40 AM   #4

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
Welcome! Definitely sounds like a fun way to go and pick up your Scamp! I love to hear the distances people go to find their perfect egg. We drove from Colorado to New Mexico, but considered a couple in Kansas and one in Nebraska!
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 09:16 AM   #5

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
You need a new axle.
These fiberglass trailers are the best for camping.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 09:46 AM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
You need a new axle.
Maybe. But not necessarily. Those early Scamps looked pretty much like that from the factory.

You can do a few things to check.

1. Check to see if there is a sticker on the axle anywhere indicating it has already been replaced, and if so, when.

2. Check clearance between the top of the tire and the inner wheel well. There should be about a fist of clearance.

3. Jack up each side on the frame behind the axle. Watch to see if the axle arm swings down as the frame rises. Little or no movement means a dead axle.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 01:12 PM   #7

Name: Terry
Kansas
Hey all, just an update on my camper.

BTW thanks Kevin and Jon, I did jack up the trailer and checked and the axle move ever so slightly, so I need a new axle.

And Megala M, the paint job on your camper is so sweet.

Despite needing an new axle I did take the camper to the International Coleman Collectors club convention in 2017 to Winchendon, MA for a week. On the trip I stopped and camped in as many states that I could, and states that I have not camped in before. An almost complete east cost run.

Started off camping in Texas at friends place then Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, Pennsylvania, Connecticut, and Massachusetts for a week. On the way back I did Main, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, Ohio for a few days to see the New Wright Patterson AF museum hanger. Then Kentucky Tennessee and Arkansas to see the Folks. What a great month out of the road.

On this trip I did see a few loose rivets and found out the tail lights are dreadful. So on the list of thing to do, New axle, better and brighter tail lights, and more interior work.

So my camper has sat for a year and it is time to get it up and going again. I have contacted Scamp and will be heading up to Backes MN for a new axle next week. I'll start a thread on my camper, the trip, and the axle change after I get back.

See you all then
Junkboy999
Junkboy999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp