replacement needed for 1993 13.5' Bigfoot axle - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2017, 12:42 PM   #1

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
replacement needed for 1993 13.5' Bigfoot axle

(April 2017) I have a 1993 13.5' Bigfoot trailer. I posted a reply to questions about 5 years ago about how I repaired a bent axle up north North West Terr. I now I feel I should replace it. Does anyone have an update on an axle shop to make a new one or how to fit one of theirs to my frame reconfiguration?
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 04:20 PM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot
Alberta
bent axel on bigfoot

why do you think your axel is bent?
MAP 56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 12:32 PM   #3

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
Mike. I haven't been on the web for awhile sorry not to get back to you sooner I came up from Ut. USA. Met Sister who lives in Canmore. Heading up to the circle. Had a tire problem . Extensive wear after only a few thousand miles. New tires when a left Ut. I had traveled hundreds of K. after buying the egg. In Canada A hundred K Before Watson Lake, I went into a truck tire, and truck repair shop. I can't remember where this stop was. They put a straight edge along the side of the wheel, and said " look down on the side ,of the egg shell the axle is bent on this side ". very noticeable, in at the front a few inches, out at the rear a few inches in, measured with a 2m or longer stick. He said he could have a new axle flown in in a few days when the flights come thru. Be there about a week. I don't think he knew what it would take to get a match. I " had places to be and things to do "
The owner said there is a shop in Watson Lake, North West Terr. That has a shop capable of straightening out the axle. Drove there. The shop owner said Yeah its bent. He put it on special ram. ( correct name ? ) bent it measured, slight push here and there. All is good. Tires wear perfect. They had tires only for the U-Haul trailers that they had contract to supply for them. Had to go to Yellow Knife East ( If I remember right ) or the other way and try to make it to Anchorage, where I would have been going anyway. Bought New Tires; Maxim, Went out to look at them just now and the tread is almost 5-7 mm deep, used them for some years and you can see almost No wear. I, did not bend axle. Bought it that way, the tires were old. I did not look at them. bought new tires, but pulled them off to go to Canada, Alaska, back to Canmore. Very noticeable impact dent about 1/4 meter in from driver side. 75cm +- quite big. 25cm deep. Ok-, On the driver side I can not reach over the tire up into the bottom of the wheel well. I can reach up on the face of the tread at the rear of the wheel, touch the underside of the well. 125 cm +-. above the tread. The skid on the driver side of frame is getting worn,almost thru. I can't flip the axle left to right, it would be in the same plane. There is very heavy brackets welded to the axle.
If I can not replace the axle. ( is the core worn to excess ?) I will try to find a lift kit that will work. I was thinking others, with older Bigfoots may have seen this dilemma. ?
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 04:34 PM   #4

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot
Alberta
bent axel

I have seen worn berings mastaken for bent axel is why i ask . I restore small travel trailes and build around 40 utlity trailers in Edmonton ab .i just restore fiberglass trailers most are ful gut jobs and re paints .I only use automotive paints .After being in autobody for 40+ years. and insurance appraising .people dont under stand when they use house paint on ther unit .30% value drop. Thanks for the reply .Happy Trails Mike
MAP 56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle, bigfoot